View Single Post
Old 11-25-2004, 06:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Originally posted by gp64389:
I knew that the springs weren't new from the start. I planned on replacing those as they could lose some force over a 40 year span.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I need to know specifically:
Does every valve have a stem seal?<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, the original style seal is a small rubber sqare cut o-ring that fits on the lower groove of the valve. Some years did have a positive style that fit over the valve guide on the intake valves.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>To replace a valve seat is the old area machined out and a new seat pressed in?<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, thats how it's done

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>What do the valve guides look like? Are the old guides machined out and new ones pressed in during a replacement procedure?<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Correct again! There are a few different styles of replacement guides. Some are a thin bronze sleeve, a spiral threaded bronze type, a bronze insert, and a cast insert. Generally the exaust guides will wear more than the intake because of the heat.

As was posted earlier your best bet is to take them to a machine shop and have them checked out to see what you got.

www.jandjrepairandrestoration