View Single Post
Old 07-27-2003, 07:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well what really turned me off on Summit was when I sent an e-mail a few months ago concerning an 400 Pontiac article they have in their newsstand book and it showed the distributor turned like a Chevy with a backwards vaccum diaghram. The response I got was that it didn't matter how a distributor was set in an engine for it to run. Sorry but after nearly thirty years of turning wrenches for a hobby and living I have found that distributor placement is very critical on engine performance, now matter what kind of vehicle it is. Those out there that may know me, know how particular I am with the work that I do, especially tuning. Another pooint to prove this fact is a 400 Pontiac that I did about a year ago. The engine only had about 400 miles on it. The engine had standard bearings on a .010-.010 crank, 501 lift Comp cam. late model pistons ( the block was a 70 model) the distributot set backwards,(like a Chevy) and 3.90 gears and didn't have the power to even break the back tires loose at a 3 grand drop of the clutch. After proper machine work and setting the cam at 4 degrees advance (which I have found to be the best setting for this cam in a Pontiac) and setting the distributor correctly this engine would turn the car sideways at just the touch of the gas. I have spent countless hours properly setting the distributor in my 71 GTO for proper performance. Mr Holmes knows me personally and knows how well my 71 runs and I have helped him set up some of his projects. And Mr Holmes has had some very fast Pontiacs here in recent years, but he can also tell you that not many basically stock 3800 lb GTO's can pull the front wheels on launch at the strip with a 3.55 open rear-end. The key, proper tuning, attention to detail and setting the suspension up right. So when I notice something that doesn't look right to me, I question it. and when I get a response to a technical question and get told it doesn't matter, that lessens my faith in the people giving advice for that particular company, and thus lessens my faith in that company. I'm not saying that Summit is a bad company to deal with, I just personally don't have much faith in their tech advisors. And yes Roger I'm starting to feel better, hopefully be back in action in a few days.

A poor man has poor ways.