View Single Post
Old 11-24-2004, 11:29 PM

These questions may sound stupid. I've rebuilt plenty of motorcycle heads, but never automotive heads.

I recently purchased a set of "rebuilt" #76 heads off ebay. I got them and they didn't look too clean, so I decided to investigate. The valve seats still had lapping compound all over them.

They supposedly had new valve guides installed. The exhaust valves looked like they might have had new press-in guides installed, but I can see no parting line where new intake guides were installed.

As far as valve stem seals. Exhaust had some ratty looking rubber seals. They came off really easily as if they might be worn. Intake had no seals. Is this right?

New valve seats would require some machining and new seats to be pressed in, right? I can see no parting line to indicate that another piece was ever pressed in.

The combustion chambers and valves are clean, and overall, tolerances appear to be within reason. I've got a feeling that I'm getting the shaft here and these heads were never rebuilt. Any answers are appreciated.

The heads were fairly clean