View Single Post
Old 01-09-2005, 05:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Les Apt:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lynn McCarty:Cross Sectional area to eliminate CHOKE. A major factor in achieving HP in higher cubic inch engines. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

cross sectional area = port size; larger port size= more airflow = more horsepower at a higher rpm.

how does using a round intake port eliminate choke any better than using a rectangular port does? translation: u didn't answer my question about why you feel a tunnel port should be used. especially since no other pro stock or big inch IHRA wedge head motor uses one.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My guess would be the limited bore spacing of a Pontiac as compared to your typical BBC Pro Stock block (which by the way, they have a wider bore spacing than the OEM BBC block does). And those IHRA motors have even more bore spacing.

Nonetheless, what about a head with a R.A. V layout with rectangular shaped intake runners instead of oval? Could work better, even with the pushrod in the center of the port? I remember a time before the BBC aftermarket boomed when factory iron oval and rectangular port heads were the only choices, and it seem more power was made with the rectangular port heads, no? Keefer can you weigh in on this?