PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=421)
-   -   Brake pads (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872125)

joes455 02-20-2024 08:17 PM

Brake pads

So I get a set of ceramic pads for rear disk from O'Reillys for my 80 ta.Opened box and they have what looks like front disk pads, meaning there is the centering clip riveted to the metal backing,they also have the required dimble that's keeps piston from rotating.Are these universal for front and rears?I didn't want to remove clip due to warranty issues.Any info would be great.

HWYSTR455 02-21-2024 02:02 PM

Look up the part number and check. If the part numbers check out, they may have been switched from a diff box, never know.

No, they are not interchangeable front/rear. The rears are D154 type pads, from D52 type.

I believe the D154 pads do have a clip on the back, but it's been a while since I've dealt with them.

JLMounce 02-21-2024 02:59 PM

I've seen D154 pads with both a clip that fastens into the single piston as well as without. There are usually two tangs on the top that overhang the caliper body to center it.

Sirrotica 02-21-2024 03:56 PM

The D154 pads also fit the front caliper of 78-87 G bodies, the clips likely are for that application, which is a much more common application. I can't see any downside if you would remove the clip for a rear caliper application. The purpose of the clip is for anti rattle, anti squeal, it has no effect on actual stopping ability.

joes455 02-21-2024 09:40 PM

Thanks everyone,I returned them and got a set from napa they also had the clip but it was in a extra parts bag.Now if I can only find the spring for the E brake lever return,I'll be complete with this conversion

HWYSTR455 02-22-2024 07:36 AM

Hm, didn't realize some cars used the D154 pads on the front, thanks for that! Kind of odd IMO, wouldn't think they would be ample enough to stop a heavier car.

Not sure what spring you mean, like the one built into the e-brake bracket? Those I believe are available repop, the whole assembly. AMD and Dynacorn make them. Look at the Ames catalog.

A quick search shows they do repop just the spring...

JLMounce 02-22-2024 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 (Post 6487615)
Hm, didn't realize some cars used the D154 pads on the front, thanks for that! Kind of odd IMO, wouldn't think they would be ample enough to stop a heavier car.

Not sure what spring you mean, like the one built into the e-brake bracket? Those I believe are available repop, the whole assembly. AMD and Dynacorn make them. Look at the Ames catalog.

A quick search shows they do repop just the spring...

G-bodies and S10's used metric calipers on the front. And you're right, they aren't sufficient to stop of heavy car. At least not repeatedly anyway. There's not enough pad volume.

Same complaint with the Wilwood Dyna series of calipers and the Bear SS4. People buy these and put them on the front of their muscle cars, then complain about how they perform in spirited driving.

They put calipers on a 3600+ lbs performance muscle car that were really meant for the rear or a 2800 lb street rod and expected them to do well in a performance driving situation.

HWYSTR455 02-22-2024 11:38 AM

Yeah, people that want to upgrade but refuse to give up 14 or 15" wheels. Then after they spend the coin realize that what they started with worked better. And have 15+ year old tires on their' car, or a skinny 70 series.

Same with suspension, some dump coin into upgrading and say it wasn't worth it but are running 14" wheels with 20-year-old BFGs.

Some of those same people justify dumping $10k into wheels and tires for their' daily driver newer car.

I just don't get it sometimes...

JLMounce 02-22-2024 11:43 AM

I understand the desire to keep the look of the small wheels and large sidewall tires. But to your point, if that is your aim, you have to realize that spending a bunch of money on suspension and brake modifications becomes somewhat irrelevant. Yes, if you improve the suspension, you'll see improvements even with the old wheel and tire packages, but not to the extent that you would if you decided to run a package that gave you modern tires.

Beyond a simple rebuild of the factory components, possibly a small tall ball joint and a more modern alignment, it's useless to spend a bunch of money on the suspension and brakes.

joes455 02-22-2024 12:16 PM

I think I may have found a spring ,amazon Handyman sp-9713 it was used on a camaro conversion.spring specs are 4"long,coils .080, 25lbs at max deflection 1.28. $3 bucks ea.Ill let you know how it works out

HWYSTR455 02-22-2024 12:42 PM

Just look in the Ames catalog, you will be confident you will get the right one that way.

HWYSTR455 02-22-2024 12:54 PM

I strongly suggest posting in the 79-81 section, you will get very specific, complete answers.

joes455 02-22-2024 05:45 PM

Ames had nothing,I posted on the 78-81 firebird tech.thanks everyone