PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   THE LOBBY (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=467)
-   -   Total knee replacement. (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=862370)

Bob Dillon 10-22-2022 11:06 AM

Total knee replacement.

I'm five days post-op from a total knee replacement. Frankly, if I'd have known this surgery would be this disruptive on my life, I wouldn't have done it.

Thanks be to baby Jesus for oxycontin.

Bill H 10-22-2022 11:14 AM

DIY

You should have purchased the new parts and done it yourself, I recommend some good Irish Whiskey for the meds. :D
Get well soon.

Hikin Mike 10-22-2022 11:54 AM

Did you go to Stanford?

Speedy recovery!

Bob Dillon 10-22-2022 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hikin Mike (Post 6381595)
Did you go to Stanford?

VA Palo Alto, which is the same thing, the docs just drive across the freeway.

Hikin Mike 10-22-2022 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dillon (Post 6381608)
VA Palo Alto, which is the same thing, the docs just drive across the freeway.

I had mine done at Stanford 15 years ago, so I was just curious if you went there too and saw the same doc.

hobbygto65 10-22-2022 01:42 PM

If you ever have a hip done there a lot easier, not as much pt.

Tom Vaught 10-22-2022 01:48 PM

No one EVER said PT was going to be fun.

Hang in there Bob.

Tom V.

RocktimusPryme 10-22-2022 01:49 PM

I think you will change your mind in a couple of months. Ive seen a couple of the older guys have knee replacements at work. Went from gimping around with canes to walking like they were 20 years younger in pretty short order.

Im about 3 months removed from weight loss surgery. It was really really hard the first month, but since it gets easier every day. Im about 70 pounds down and all my joints feel better. I sleep better, an most importantly I dont feel like I need to order enough food for two adults at restaurants anymore.

When I was in consideration my Dr. told me, "I have a lot of people regret the surgery a few weeks after. Ive never had a single patient regret the surgery at the 1 year mark."

That comment really stuck with me and I would bet you will find yourself in the same boat as time goes on. Hang tough.

hurryinhoosier62 10-22-2022 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dillon (Post 6381576)
I'm five days post-op from a total knee replacement. Frankly, if I'd have known this surgery would be this disruptive on my life, I wouldn't have done it.

Thanks be to baby Jesus for oxycontin.

I’ll admit today had been rough. I’ve used more Percocet today than I did Tuesday-Friday. The swelling has increased slightly, but as Pat says “Do your exercises!”. I had no choice; my meniscus was completely gone. The x-rays were ugly; according to my ortho, my knee was far worse than expected.

stevep 10-22-2022 08:39 PM

My wife had them both done, but 2 years apart. It is not fun.

sdbob 10-22-2022 11:31 PM

Prayers sent for good and speedy recovery.

Half-Inch Stud 10-23-2022 07:28 AM

Boob, Hang in there. Time for a story;

85 year old lady, among others, was over last night for a social/bonfire. Was a nice time for all.

Well she told us a couple weeks ago, and last night that she is looking forward to a hip replacement (surgery is tomorrow). This lady drinks beer, skis, and acts like early 60.
Wife and .i at first insisted she not get it done, but she later defined last night that it is a "like a silicone" film installed between the joint, and she will be in & out the same day. Well i rejoiced that it sounds ideal, but said thats not a hip replacement. She said well it is to me.

beertracker 10-23-2022 11:18 AM

Best wishes post op. Hang in there.

Shiny 10-23-2022 11:38 AM

You are doing great and it WILL get better.

As others say, do what the PTist tells you. They have seen more of these than you and know what it takes to assure a good outcome.

hurryinhoosier62 10-23-2022 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiny (Post 6381763)
You are doing great and it WILL get better.

As others say, do what the PTist tells you. They have seen more of these than you and know what it takes to assure a good outcome.

^^^^^This!
I have been through PT twice for knee surgery in the past two years. If you want your surgery to be successful do exactly what your PT tells you. My first appointment with PT was on Thursday; two days post surgery. Did it hurt? Absolutely, but I was able to raise my left leg again…not very much but it was progress.

Ogre 10-23-2022 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 (Post 6381776)
^^^^^This!
I have been through PT twice for knee surgery in the past two years. If you want your surgery to be successful do exactly what your PT tells you. My first appointment with PT was on Thursday; two days post surgery. Did it hurt? Absolutely, but I was able to raise my left leg again…not very much but it was progress.

Small baby steps to start with ... and NO the pain will not go away for a while. I'm four weeks out tomorrow and still living with pain, but getting more and more mobile.

BTW this is my third ... don't ask!

Ogre

will slow gto 10-23-2022 05:37 PM

Best wishes Bob for a speedy recovery. It will get better. Sounds like doing nothing wasn’t really an option for you. For some reason knee Replacement is more painful/longer recovery than Hip replacement. Thank you for your service .

hurryinhoosier62 10-23-2022 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogre (Post 6381791)
Small baby steps to start with ... and NO the pain will not go away for a while. I'm four weeks out tomorrow and still living with pain, but getting more and more mobile.

BTW this is my third ... don't ask!

Ogre

Pat, I have been able to move my pain meds to every 7-8 hours verses every four hours. Tylenol is your friend. The main problem I’m having is with swelling. My left leg already has DVTs(blood clots) behind the knee and mid calf. This is what is preventing a total reduction in post surgical fluid accumulation. If it keeps up, I’ll be looking at a visit to a vascular surgeon.

Doug Hopkins 10-24-2022 08:19 AM

Takes about 6-8 weeks for full recoverey. Do the therapy. I've had both done. First two weeks are tough. In the end it's worth it IMO.

poncho-mike 10-24-2022 08:56 AM

When I had hip replacement a few years ago, I was terrified of getting hooked on the pain meds. I had one leg about 1" shorter than the other, so the doctor was able to add length when replacing the joint. That apparently stretched the nerve and caused muscle spasms. I've taken muscle relaxers for years for my neck, usually one pill about every month or so when I get neck spasms. The muscle relaxers made me sleepy and were probably more effective than the pain meds. I only took maybe ten pain pills the first week after surgery, threw the rest away.