PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   70-73 Firebird & TA TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   1970 T/A Shaker repair question (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=848861)

poncho-mike 03-07-2021 03:16 PM

1970 T/A Shaker repair question

2 Attachment(s)
I found this 1970 shaker base in a stack of air cleaners in my storage. The previous owner decided to drill holes in the walls to let more air flow in. Kinda defeats the purpose of a shaker since drilling holes in the sides sucks in hot air, not cool air.

Anyway, how hard would it be to repair? I have a shaker top that should match this.

poncho-mike 03-07-2021 03:18 PM

Ignore the pictures of the shaker. They are for a 1974 GTO.

weranc55 03-07-2021 04:16 PM

I don’t know if it’s worth repairing it. The hole he drilled on the side with the indentation will be very hard to fix

unruhjonny 03-07-2021 06:59 PM

Honestly, my only thoughts on repairing one like that would be to cut out the dropped base, and mate it to the sides and folded rim of a (relatively undesirable) full sized car air cleaner.
I believe that the 1968 full sized car has the correct single snorkel too.

Norwood 03-07-2021 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unruhjonny (Post 6231781)
Honestly, my only thoughts on repairing one like that would be to cut out the dropped base, and mate it to the sides and folded rim of a (relatively undesirable) full sized car air cleaner.
I believe that the 1968 full sized car has the correct single snorkel too.

You have the skill to do this ridiculous idea? I’d love to see your result.

RAIVJUMB 03-08-2021 03:48 PM

I would think it is possible but would make the value of this kinda low. seems more like a prove it can be done situation vrs financially smart.

Tellyshavilli 03-08-2021 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norwood (Post 6231839)
You have the skill to do this ridiculous idea? I’d love to see your result.

very interesting

Tellyshavilli 03-08-2021 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tellyshavilli (Post 6231984)
very interesting

👍🇺🇸😆🤼*♂️🇺🇸

NOT A TA 03-08-2021 10:14 PM

Curve some pieces of sheet metal and panel bond in place inside the base. Then bondo and sand, prime, paint. Sure you'd be able to tell if you could see the inside but really no one would know but the car owner. With the hood open at a show or whatever it'd look like a normal stock part.

Option 2: cut circles and weld in place, grind to perfection. Labor intensive but possible.

Norwood 03-08-2021 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOT A TA (Post 6232063)
Curve some pieces of sheet metal and panel bond in place inside the base. Then bondo and sand, prime, paint. Sure you'd be able to tell if you could see the inside but really no one would know but the car owner. With the hood open at a show or whatever it'd look like a normal stock part.

Now that’s a plan, hope he has a snorkel. How about silver Metal body repair tape or fiberglass on the inside to support epoxy filler on the outside. These are doable ideas that just about anyone should be able to handle

Aus78Formula 03-08-2021 11:06 PM

I did this in a previous life. They had holesawed 4 holes in the rear so I found 4 matching 1" sheet metal flat washers matching diameter and thickness, roll them slightly on a large pipe with hammer but not to same amount and tacked around edges before grinding. It was powder coated in a batch of parts so no filler and came out well, could only see outlines of grinding at certain angles so with some work blend in much better. I sold it days later. None of it worth the time or effort but that's what hobbies are about.