PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   64-65 GTO Tempest & LeMans TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   '64 Project, Good Day Today (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=597475)

ron cozzo 05-02-2009 05:42 PM

'64 Project, Good Day Today

3 Attachment(s)
Some of you may remember me introducing my '64 project nearly two years ago. Here's a link to the thread when I found the car.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=520251

Well, I've been making some slow progress on the car. I didn't really get a start on it until around Feb '08. The body went for extensive metal replacement around July '08. It's still at the body shop on a rotiserrie. All the metal is done, lots of blocking and paint remain. I started working on building the rolling chassis this January. Today's accomplishment is the rolling chassis is basically done. Here's a few pics:

This is not a concourse stock restoration, so some of you sticklers may notice finishes are wrong in some areas. This may be, if my body/paint guy lives up to my expectations, a one time concourse modified car, then I'm going to drive the crap out of it. No, it won't be done for Dayton. Burning through cash too fast.

ron cozzo 05-02-2009 05:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The block, bellhousing and Tremec are installed just for mock-up purposes. All of the floors and crossmembers on the body are new. We'll hopefully cut the new floors for the Tremec in about a week and set the body on to finish up the floor tunnel fab work. Then the body will go back on the rotisserie for final finishing on the floors. It's been quite a journey.

Redfed 05-02-2009 06:04 PM

Looking good, Ron! Thanks for the update.

Pecosbill 05-02-2009 06:48 PM

Looks like nice work. Don't worry about the time factor. With these cars it's not so much the destination as it is the trip there.

aljan 05-02-2009 09:57 PM

That's looking good!

Doug B. 05-03-2009 02:43 PM

Looking good Ron ! I have to agree with what Pecos Bill said. It'll be on the road b4 you know it. Doug

ron cozzo 05-03-2009 11:33 PM

Thanks All. Hopefully the next pics I post will be the body on the new chassis. Many little victories remain.

valkyrie9901 05-04-2009 07:43 AM

Ron.............

looks very good.Are you going to go back to the Bronze color?Mine is Biege w/bronze painted top and Iam on the fence about changing colors as I could not get the Bronze metallic replacement interior.I went with white replacement interior.......JB.:confused::confused:

Tempest 05-04-2009 09:21 AM

Great work, and great pics. As said earlier, enjoy the journey.

ron cozzo 05-04-2009 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by valkyrie9901 (Post 3643357)
looks very good.Are you going to go back to the Bronze color?Mine is Biege w/bronze painted top and Iam on the fence about changing colors as I could not get the Bronze metallic replacement interior.I went with white replacement interior.......JB.:confused::confused:

JB, no bronze, the original color was Yorktown Blue (light blue metallic) with a dark blue interior. It'll go back to the original colors. Sorry about your luck on the bronze interior. I'll bet the white will look great, but then what do you do for the top color? I understand your difficulty.

valkyrie9901 05-04-2009 08:32 PM

Thought about........

red or midnight blue lower w/black vinyl top.I have the trim parts for the roof belt line.Your car is looking very good.....JB.:clap2:

ron cozzo 05-04-2009 09:50 PM

Well if you're looking for support, I've always been partial to red/black. I sold this one a couple years ago:

http://www.pypesexhaust.com/gallery/gallery21-01.jpg

I still miss that car. But, the '64 and '68 were funded by it.

valkyrie9901 05-04-2009 09:59 PM

Nice 67.......

Sold our white w/ black top a few years ago........Thanks for the pic.....JB.

jdw_poncho 05-10-2009 04:34 PM

Car looks good, did they install a complete 64 floor pan or was it cleaned and painted?

My 64 needs a complete floor from front to back so I was wandering about how well it fit.

Jeff

ron cozzo 05-10-2009 09:22 PM

Complete floors. The interior floor is the one piece. It fits nice, but I think it's for a Chevelle, the shape of the tunnel area is different. I don't care because I'm cutting the tunnel for a Tremec. Also needed partial patches for the toe boards. All crossmembers are new. The trunk floor is the 3 piece plus tank braces. I think they make a 1 piece trunk now that includes the area over the axle. That would have been a big help. Inner rockers are new, they were nice. Inner and Outer wheel houses are new, pretty good. Quarter skins are new, ok. Rear window to trunk filler panel is new, good. Tail light panel is out of a Texas car. Fortunately my car had good pillars and a good roof. ;)

baron_ 05-14-2009 01:22 AM

tremecs are fun :)
Looks like a good time in the making

ron cozzo 06-14-2009 10:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Big step Friday. The body was set on the frame to mock up the tunnel to clear the Tremec.

ron cozzo 06-14-2009 10:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It was nice to finally see the quarters in primer. They're getting pretty straight.

ron cozzo 06-14-2009 10:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We cut a big hole. This hole is about an inch smaller all around than the Classic Motorsports Group tunnel patch that came with the Tremec kit.

ron cozzo 06-14-2009 10:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The tunnel patch is in. The outline around the shifter shows the size of the hole we cut for shifter access in the new tunnel. I can pull the whole shifter out of the top if needed.