PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   70-72 GTO Tempest & LeMans TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=436)
-   -   1972 Tire Brand? Goodyear or Firestone? (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592072)

geogolfx 03-14-2009 06:00 PM

1972 Tire Brand? Goodyear or Firestone?

1 Attachment(s)
On my PHS Below, It shows G6015 Tires. WL FG I am guessing "White Letter Fiberglass."

Shall I assume Goodyear Polyglas?

1971GTO 03-14-2009 06:15 PM

15" too, they're alot more $ than the Wide Ovals in reprod. huh?

geogolfx 03-14-2009 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1971GTO (Post 3595712)
15" too, they're alot more $ than the Wide Ovals in reprod. huh?

From what I have seen yes LOL. May not bother unless a right place / right time situation arose.

1971GTO 03-14-2009 06:31 PM

Right............T/A Radial or somethin' for now. I don't wanna have mine sitting on jackstands to protect the $1100 investment......... it's getting driven!

1971GTO 03-14-2009 06:39 PM

But, I wondered the same thing GEO, as my PHS sheet says the same. Sounds good to me!

I wonder how those reprod. tires wear..................When I first started on my car, thought I'd eventually like a set, but I heard some time ago that they lite-up quite nicely............just wouldn't last man!

geogolfx 03-14-2009 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1971GTO (Post 3595728)
But, I wondered the same thing GEO, as my PHS sheet says the same. Sounds good to me!

I wonder how those reprod. tires wear..................When I first started on my car, thought I'd eventually like a set, but I heard some time ago that they lite-up quite nicely............just wouldn't last man!

Same here, If it's that huge of a diff in $$ for something that's inferior. Not worth it in my opinion unless it's a show piece. Always did like the understated Polyglas look though :-).

GOATFF71 03-14-2009 09:46 PM

Not sure about 72 but in the 71 assembly manual there is a page that lists tires by size and by brand and for 15" they only listed one brand and the was Goodyear, might be why the last time I checked you couldnt get a G70-15 wide oval firestone tire.

Geo Any idea what that note is all about on your build sheet? something about taxing the larger tires? I have a 71 with the TXL option but I have never seen that note.

T/A

4SLASH6 03-14-2009 09:59 PM

I was 2nd owner of a low milage (22k) 73 gto which had what I thought were original rims and tires on it. they were 15 inch rally 2's with G-60-15 goodyear polyglas all around.

PB 03-14-2009 10:05 PM

15" ralley II wheels in 72 = KR wheels. Nice. Still have them?

goatless 03-14-2009 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1971GTO (Post 3595728)

I've done quite a bit of driving on the repro bias plys, both Goodyear and Firestone. There are quite a few common misconceptions about them.

They do handle a little different than a modern radial. It easy to get used to and not a big deal unless you're planning on some real full on canyon carving.

They may wear a little faster than a modern radial, but honestly for MOST of us the tires will be old enough that they should be replaced before the tread wears out.

They offer much better traction than a standard street radial. I run several different sets of tires on my cars. It's easier to spin the 275/60/15's than it is the "little" G70-14's. I run them on my Lemans racing in F.A.S.T. and I get pretty decent 60 foot times.

If any of you are looking at getting a set of Goodyear Polyglas right now, there is a group buy going over on the F.A.S.T. board.

1971GTO 03-14-2009 10:38 PM

Nice smoke on those tires there!

Jim Rotella 03-15-2009 12:14 AM

Most of the '72 A-body Pontiacs that I have seen with the Y99 handling option and G60-15 tires came with Firestone Wide Ovals. Although Coker does reproduce F60-15 Wide Ovals, I don't believe they reproduce them in the G60-15 size. Kelsey does reproduce G60-15 Goodyear Polyglas GT's, which should be accetable for your car. However, they are not cheap; they retail for $265 a piece.

GOATFF71 03-15-2009 08:48 AM

Goatless could you post a link to the F.A.S.T board, I am intersted in getting in on that group buy but im not sure where to find it.

Thanks

T/A

67drake 03-15-2009 09:06 AM

Forums
http://www.runboard.com/bfastracingmessageboard
I think this is the tire thread goatless was talking about.
http://www.runboard.com/bfastracingmessageboard.f4.t646
I do agree with goatless on that issue. My last car drove like a brick,but I could get off 2.0 60ft. times on a pair of F 70 15 bias ply repro redlines. If I knew how to drive I'm sure it would have been even lower.:D
I'm buying new skins for my 71' this summer(I hope),and am considering bias ply. It couldn't be any worse than the 2.3-2.4's I'm doing now with my radial street tires!

geogolfx 03-15-2009 09:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GOATFF71 (Post 3595862)
Not sure about 72 but in the 71 assembly manual there is a page that lists tires by size and by brand and for 15" they only listed one brand and the was Goodyear, might be why the last time I checked you couldnt get a G70-15 wide oval firestone tire.

Geo Any idea what that note is all about on your build sheet? something about taxing the larger tires? I have a 71 with the TXL option but I have never seen that note.

T/A

It is the same on the Documentation on the car below. Interesting it shows the 14 Inch wide ovals BSW (Black Sidewall) As stock. With the 15's with Raised whites as the TXL.

mmarx 03-15-2009 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Rotella (Post 3596000)
Most of the '72 A-body Pontiacs that I have seen with the Y99 handling option and G60-15 tires came with Firestone Wide Ovals. Although Coker does reproduce F60-15 Wide Ovals, I don't believe they reproduce them in the G60-15 size. Kelsey does reproduce G60-15 Goodyear Polyglas GT's, which should be accetable for your car. However, they are not cheap; they retail for $265 a piece.

I agree, the original spare for the WW5 car I owned was a Firestone. I have pictures of the car when it was a couple of weeks old and it had Firestone's on it.

I went with Goodyears and surprisingly, The car actually drove pretty good...

Mike

GOATFF71 03-16-2009 12:10 PM

geo, that's interesting

In reading through your build sheet I thought something was different so I took mine out and checked and in 71 the option reads "G60x15 WL PG" Not FG. Im not sure why there was a change or if it had anything to do with the Firestone tires being available or not available. I dont have the dealer copy of the car shipping record for the car to cross check it but it could be they changed it when Firestones became available.

Anyone else have this option on a build sheet they can check?

T/A

Lloyd-TX 03-16-2009 01:44 PM

Though I don't care for the ride and handling of the reproduction bias-belted tires, they sure do look nice.

It's difficult - if not impossible - to determine whether Firestones or Goodyears were the OEM tires. That said, there is no repro Firestone G60, so the Goodyear Polyglas GT is the only choice.

They DO stick at the track!

The G60's are available from only two sources, Lucas Tire and Kelsey Tire.

Both sets I bought came from Kelsey Tire, through a GP with the Buick Forums, but the Buick Forums member who was arranging those GP's has quit doing them. If you need repro tires, I would recommending tagging along on the F.A.S.T. board GP, as it generally saves quite a bit.

I may be selling my newer set (4) of G60's in the near future, if anyone is interested. MIGHT have 1K miles on them, probably not even that. They're currently mounted on my repro 15x7 steelies so I'd need to get them dismounted first. Shipping could be a PITA?

The Boss 03-16-2009 04:12 PM

Lloyd - I'll take them and if you are going to the co-vention I could get them there if you don't mind bringing them.

ed boersma 03-17-2009 12:11 AM

For what it's worth, my '72 GTO came with G60x15 tires mounted on RII's. And yes, I still have the original wheels!