PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Street (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   What motor is this? (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486991)

"Me" 08-01-2006 11:01 AM

What motor is this?

I have a unknown in my 65 GTO, and I know it is not the original because I have that block as a letter sorting device in my office. I bought the Restoration Guide and Pontiac GTO id numbers but they are geared to GTO engines. I have not torn the motor down yet but it is a 2 bolt block.

By the distributor hole is what looks like 9778789. On the front of the block by the timing cover is YD with a 515052 production number just below the YD. There is no VIN #, so I am assuming it is pre 69, unless it is a replacement block. I will be tearing it down soon which will help I'm sure, but I am curious "NOW". Impatient old basterd, ain't I!

The heads are D port with 360 cast into the center exhaust, and D296 over2093 cast into the oil galley.

Is there a book that covers all Pontiacs that I could pick up to aid me in parts scavaging?

Thanks, Larry

steve 08-01-2006 11:13 AM

i think it is a 65 389 but i have never heard of '360' heads..........
try this site...

http://www.yearone.com/updatedsingle...ontengid5.html

72LemansFreak 08-01-2006 11:21 AM

I pulled this info from pontiac power racing:

http://www.pontiacpower.net/engcode01.html

YB B-body 65 389 256 Turbo 400 1x2 9778789 2 AC

So it's a 2bbl 389 for a full-sized `65. Had Air conditioning.

I can't find any info on that head casting number either. What other casting numbers are on them?

steve 08-01-2006 11:27 AM

72lemansfreak...i was a huge rush fan back in the day.....i always thought he said 'SHIFTING and drifting' not 'shaking and drifting'. :noidea:

"Me" 08-01-2006 01:44 PM

Those head #'s may have been 093, I had the motor upside down when I was looking at them? I will have to run back out to Wolverine Performance and take another look. I should probably see what year tripower manifold it has, if I remember correctly a 65 manifold will not fit on 66 heads? I'll read more.
If that is indeed a 65 2bl block is there any reason not to continue to build on it. Any differences? I am actually after a reasonably good performing street motor, that I can tweek for mileage for a round the U.S. trip.

Larry

6D6GOAT 08-01-2006 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Me
Those head #'s may have been 093, I had the motor upside down when I was looking at them...

Larry

lol. reminds me of the blonde joke where she walks into a parts store and needs a new "710" cap.

72LemansFreak 08-01-2006 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve
72lemansfreak...i was a huge rush fan back in the day.....i always thought he said 'SHIFTING and drifting' not 'shaking and drifting'. :noidea:

Once a Rush fan, ALWAYS a Rush fan...:)

glhs#116 08-01-2006 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72LemansFreak
Once a Rush fan, ALWAYS a Rush fan...:)

You're right, Steve. It's shifting and drifting. As in SHIFTING gears and Tokyo DRIFT racing! ;) I listened to that song often enough when I taught myself the bass line. Actually, listened to it tons before and often since. Great album. Like most Rush albums...

Sam

Mean Ass 455 08-01-2006 07:15 PM

casting numbers

hello Me check out Ken's Speed And Machine a vendor on the right off these pages lots of castings, heads ,engines all that good stuff and to #116 Ministry ROCKS!!

glhs#116 08-02-2006 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mean Ass 455
hello Me check out Ken's Speed And Machine a vendor on the right off these pages lots of castings, heads ,engines all that good stuff and to #116 Ministry ROCKS!!

"There's only one thing left for me to do, momma. I gotta ding-a-ding-dang my dang-a-long-ling-long!"

Great song. Something of a private theme song for my car...

Sam

goquick 08-02-2006 02:12 AM

65 up manifolds have the same bolt pattern, but you have to watch the exhaust crossover size. Your 389 or 400 engine if it has the 093 heads, (i'd say it was a 389) is if i remember right appox. 8.6 rated compression. You can change cams and keep it mild enough to drive, get fuel anywhere without issues, and still enjoy it. Something like the Comp cams XE268H or their hyd. roller XR264HR or XR276HR (my choice)would work well.

"Me" 08-02-2006 07:01 AM

This motor has been modifyed already, have yet to figure out compression and measure cam. It has crane gold rollers, the motor is fresh, crosshatch still showing as new in cylinders. It was pulling rocker studs, so I decided to pull it down and see whats up, check bearings, find out compression/cam profile while I have the heads off to install threaded studs.

Thanks a lot for your help and patience with me while I figure out Pontiacs, you guys are great!

Larry

goquick 08-03-2006 01:04 AM

I would convert it to screw in studs or the problem will continue. ARP has studs to do the job with.