PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   THE LOBBY (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=467)
-   -   Peonies (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=858887)

carbking 05-24-2022 01:20 PM

Peonies

My peonies were very pretty this year, for about 4 days.

Normally, they bloom for 10~15 days, and are pretty until the first storm. This year, it was about 4 days. The blooms are still pretty, but leaned over, and some are even on the ground.

This year, these peonies are 100 years old!

In 1922, my Grandmother planted peonies on my Great-Grandmother's grave, and divided them to plant at her home as well. When she moved to town, the peonies went with her. When she gave up her home, and came to live with my parents, so did the peonies, I moved them to their present location in 1977.

So they have survived three moves, and 100 years! Not too bad.

Jon.

mzbk2l 05-24-2022 01:47 PM

Nice! We have a 100+ year-old rose bush in the family that my great-grandparents planted when they settled early 20th century.

694.1 05-24-2022 10:48 PM

Cool story.

fyrffytr1 05-24-2022 11:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't have any heirloom plants in my yard with the exception of a Hardy Hibiscus that I stole from my best friend's mother's house about 10 years ago. She had to move into a nursing home and my best friend gave me permission to get them. They are at least 70 years old. Usually they have 5 petals per bloom but sometimes they have 6.

hurryinhoosier62 05-25-2022 12:20 AM

My wife loves peonies. We have some at our home I’m IN and more at the farm in KY.

carcrazy 05-25-2022 04:14 PM

Just put some peonies in this year....we'll see if they make past that critical 1st season!

Formulabruce 05-25-2022 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carbking (Post 6344386)

Normally, they bloom for 10~15 days, and are pretty until the first storm. This year, it was about 4 days. The blooms are still pretty, but leaned over, and some are even on the ground.

This year, these peonies are 100 years old!

In 1922, my Grandmother planted peonies on my Great-Grandmother's grave, and divided them to plant at her home as well. When she moved to town, the peonies went with her. When she gave up her home, and came to live with my parents, so did the peonies, I moved them to their present location in 1977.

So they have survived three moves, and 100 years! Not too bad.

Jon.

This Does deserve a Visual, No?

Greg Reid 05-25-2022 04:22 PM

We have some peonies also. The blooms never last very long on ours and they always fall over unless I support them with stakes. I had to relocate them this year just as they were budding and they never bloomed.
I really regret not getting some from my mother's yard last year when we moved her to the retirement facility. They were a much prettier color than ours.

Shiny 06-14-2022 11:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
We have one that bloomed well this year and lasted a couple weeks. My wife is still cutting them. Deer ate the delphinium and columbine.

Keith Seymore 06-15-2022 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carbking (Post 6344386)

Just curious: do you say "PEE uh knees" or "pee-OH-knees"?

K

carbking 06-15-2022 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Seymore (Post 6349798)
Just curious: do you say "PEE uh knees" or "pee-OH-knees"?

K

Don't know if there is a "correct" pronunciation, but in Missouri "hillbillyese" it is "pee-OH-knees".

Jon.

Half-Inch Stud 06-15-2022 08:01 AM

Peonie makes a nice House warming gift in Alabama

Keith Seymore 06-15-2022 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carbking (Post 6349807)
Don't know if there is a "correct" pronunciation, but in Missouri "hillbillyese" it is "pee-OH-knees".

Jon.

Missour-ee or Missour-ah?

I fear my parents have permanently messed up my regional free dialect.

Occasionally I find myself slipping, like the "dees" of the week (ie, Mondee, Tuesdee, Wendsdee, etc).

K

Greg Reid 06-15-2022 12:31 PM

I say it just like carbking...the flower that is.

FirebirdHank 06-15-2022 04:06 PM

I have my grandma's peonies and also some of her tiger lilies. The story I was told is that she loved tiger lilies but had no luck growing them. Every year she would get some bulbs and plant them only to have them not come back in the next year. After she died in 1958 they started to grow like crazy all around the old farm house. As a kid I remember them growing up in the cracks of the sidewalk. I always think of her when they start to bloom.

carbking 06-15-2022 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Seymore (Post 6349876)
Missour-ee or Missour-ah?

I fear my parents have permanently messed up my regional free dialect.

Occasionally I find myself slipping, like the "dees" of the week (ie, Mondee, Tuesdee, Wendsdee, etc).

K

Missour-ee

There is actually an opinion written by one of the justices on the Missouri Supreme Court.

And did you ever hear anyone say Mississipp-ah? ;)

Jon

Shiny 06-15-2022 06:57 PM

I don't have a clue what dielect I became attached to but I call them "pee-uh-knees" without a strong emphasis on any syllable.

If I heard someone call them "pee-uh-nuhs", I wouldn't recognize the word.

When I started working in the 70's I had to adjust to my mentor's reference to "tap-rotters".

FirebirdHank 06-15-2022 09:56 PM

Tap-rotters??? That one took a while but it finally came to me/

Keith Seymore 06-15-2022 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carbking (Post 6349980)
Missour-ee

There is actually an opinion written by one of the justices on the Missouri Supreme Court.

And did you ever hear anyone say Mississipp-ah? ;)

Jon

No - but I have heard Cincinnat-uh (George Kell, famous Detroit Tiger player and play by play announcer. He was from Swifton Arkansas).

That's pretty close to where my folks were from: Mom was from Kennett and Dad was from Senath MO.

And Dayton Uh-hi-yah. Had a friend that said it that way.

K

burd 06-16-2022 10:06 AM

Pics?