PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Street (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Going Mobile! (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=868260)

Shiny 07-29-2023 11:03 PM

Going Mobile!

1 Attachment(s)
I just drove the beater around the block for the first time since ~2008! I am smiling big.

Can't thank you enough for helping me get to this milestone. You all matter!

Woo hoo isn't even close!

Here's the maiden voyage out of the garage:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AiIRc33Ia4jVi7oO...wu7rQ?e=R0iRn6

My wife says I need to go get groceries!

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...1&d=1690686163

Mike

will slow gto 07-29-2023 11:51 PM

Congrats 15 years is a pretty long slumber!

locomotivebreath 07-30-2023 02:09 AM

That’s cool ! Why so long ?

1968GTO421 07-30-2023 07:45 AM

Congrats! Long time but life does present obstacles to us and our Pontiac's unfortunately.

shaker455 07-30-2023 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiny (Post 6443450)
I just drove the beater around the block for the first time since ~2008! I am smiling big.

Can't thank you enough for helping me get to this milestone. You all matter!

Woo hoo isn't even close!

Here's the maiden voyage out of the garage:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AiIRc33Ia4jVi7oO...wu7rQ?e=R0iRn6

My wife says I need to go get groceries!

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...1&d=1690686163

Mike

Congrats Mike and glad to have been part of your project!
I pulled out my 70' Camaro after a 34 year sleep and back into service.
So I understand

Shiny 07-30-2023 01:03 PM

Thank you

Yes, life happened a lot, I made mistakes, the car kicked my butt many times, and I lost motivation more than once.

Long story nobody wants to hear but the history is probably well-documented on this forum. As I said, I would have tossed it 15 years ago if not for the support I get here.

Breakthrough was stepping up to the carb and distributor this year. Jeff (Shaker455) and Bob Davis (Sun Tuned) rescued me on both, with lots of help from others.

I had started on body work 15 years ago so had the front clip apart and moved the car twice in pieces. I retired and moved here 4 years ago. The car sat here while we turned 5 acres of weeds and a big house into a nice place. We are now downsizing and moving again so I set a goal to move the car in one piece. No more inner fenders, bumpers, and headers in the shed! I'm close..

Turning it into a driver while continuing the body work is finally within reach.

As it rolls (some of the projects I DID get done in 19 years with help from the forum):

Mechanical
  • Rebuilt rear axle, added Eaton posi, new 3.55 gears, new u-joints
  • Rebuilt/restored suspension, boxed rear arms, added sway bar, new springs, new rag joint
  • Original 350/heads and TH350, Summit 2800, Q-Jet, replaced timing cover, new water pump, new harmonic balancer
  • New brakes, conversion to power front discs
  • Rebuilt/installed Jeep steering gear, rebuilt steering pump, new tie rod ends
  • New gas tank, fuel pump
  • New radiator, new heater core
  • Convert to single-wire alternator

Body
  • Restored firewall, AC box, fan shroud, and fan, new fan clutch
  • DS fender patch panel, welded holes (was a Sport fender)
  • Replaced/restored radiator support
  • Repaired header panel

Interior
  • Swapped bench for buckets, new covers
  • Capped dash pad
  • Rebuilt instrument panel, restored bezel
  • Repaired and installed dash tach, AM/FM Stereo radio
  • Restored AC/heater controls
  • Restored and installed floor-shift column, changed to Formula steering wheel
  • Added courtesy lights
  • Restored and installed console
  • Installed floor shifter

I've still got a list to get it driving, another list to finish interior, and a daunting cosmetic challenge but I'm really happy to have it moving under its own power.

Thanks again to all!

Mike

Shiny 07-30-2023 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will slow gto (Post 6443459)
Congrats 15 years is a pretty long slumber!

Thank you. Yes, yes it is!

Quote:

Originally Posted by locomotivebreath (Post 6443472)
That’s cool ! Why so long ?

Thank you. Ha! I just posted the "short" version.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1968GTO421 (Post 6443493)
Congrats! Long time but life does present obstacles to us and our Pontiac's unfortunately.

Thank you. Lots of lessons from both.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaker455 (Post 6443542)
Congrats Mike and glad to have been part of your project!
I pulled out my 70' Camaro after a 34 year sleep and back into service.
So I understand

Thank you Jeff. You are high on my gratitude list. Not only did you give me hope for fixing a Frankencarb, your generosity and skill turned the hope into reality. I hadn't started it in the months since you fixed the carb. I poured an ounce of fuel in it yesterday, hit the starter, and it fired instantly.

Mike

67drake 07-30-2023 02:14 PM

Congratulations!
My car hobby goes in cycles. Sometimes, like lately, I am doing a whole list of projects.
I bought a ‘63 LeMans last year that is a great solid driver. Unfortunately, the previous owner had a different standard of a car that was “ready to drive cross country”, I could barley drive across town with it.
My ‘71 was boxed in my pole barn at my old house. So when I moved there 5 years ago it pretty much sat, as I bought and renovated a handful of rental properties.
Now that things are settling down, and I bought a house with a great 30x40 shop-I’m back!

shaker455 07-30-2023 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiny (Post 6443559)
Thank you. Yes, yes it is!

Thank you. Ha! I just posted the "short" version.

Thank you. Lots of lessons from both.

Thank you Jeff. You are high on my gratitude list. Not only did you give me hope for fixing a Frankencarb, your generosity and skill turned the hope into reality. I hadn't started it in the months since you fixed the carb. I poured an ounce of fuel in it yesterday, hit the starter, and it fired instantly.

Mike

Your very welcome! Glad I gave you that boost!

Verdoro 68 07-30-2023 09:46 PM

Congrats! Nice to see so many cars on the move around here recently.

JSchmitz 07-31-2023 06:06 AM

Great feeling I'm sure! Congrats!

dataway 07-31-2023 06:36 AM

Sounds good, no smoke, moves forward and backward .... means you are 90% there far as I'm concerned :)

In my mind I often used the phrase "moving under its own power" as the biggest milestone to completion ... and there you are!

Shiny 07-31-2023 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verdoro 68 (Post 6443669)
Congrats! Nice to see so many cars on the move around here recently.

Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSchmitz (Post 6443699)
Great feeling I'm sure! Congrats!

Yes, yes it is, thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dataway (Post 6443702)
Sounds good, no smoke, moves forward and backward .... means you are 90% there far as I'm concerned :)

In my mind I often used the phrase "moving under its own power" as the biggest milestone to completion ... and there you are!

And it stops, so I'm going to call it 91%! The brakes were part of what busted my butt many years ago. Thanks for your help getting here - like the distributor do-over. I am going to review your recent discussion about coarse wheel alignment as that's on my list soon.

Mike

kingbuzzo 07-31-2023 03:43 PM

amazing...congrats on a long haul

blueghoast 07-31-2023 05:21 PM

And it looks so clean body wise?

GT