PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Street (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   jig for elongating pushrod holes (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=866086)

TA63 04-22-2023 10:28 AM

jig for elongating pushrod holes

Anyone have the jig for performing this step they would be willing to rent?

FrankieT/A 04-22-2023 10:37 AM

There is no jig. Plus they really should not need elongated if you use 5/16 push rods. The only reason they are elongated on Ram Air IV is because RA IV have 11/32 push rods.

Formulajones 04-22-2023 10:46 AM

There are drill jigs made to do this on some engines. I think it's called a louis tool? It's relatively inexpensive. I have one here somewhere for SBC heads. Unfortunately as far as I know you Pontiac guys don't get one. At least not that I've seen anyway.

Formulas 04-22-2023 12:08 PM

There is / was one for Pontiac produced by Paul Spotts, two versions soft and hardened
I bought the soft one and it didnt last long because of side loading of the cutter

If i was to buy another one i would work the slot by other means and use his tool as a go no go guage so you know when your done and dont get any surprizes after the head is already on

Half-Inch Stud 04-22-2023 04:27 PM

Spot Eye by Paul is a fixture that does the oval. I used a grinder and rattail file

Skip Fix 04-22-2023 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formulas (Post 6422719)
There is / was one for Pontiac produced by Paul Spotts, two versions soft and hardened
I bought the soft one and it didnt last long because of side loading of the cutter

If i was to buy another one i would work the slot by other means and use his tool as a go no go guage so you know when your done and dont get any surprizes after the head is already on

Yea on the 400 in the 81 TA I THOUGHT I had ground enough! Had already torques heads down. Had to stay with 1.5s. I used Spotts tool on another set of heads-not used yet and it takes a lotmore in the middle-where my grind job failed. A drill press and some angled shims can get it done , a Bridgeport would be easy to get the angle right.

ponjohn 04-22-2023 10:41 PM

Spotts has the tool.

steve25 04-23-2023 09:42 AM

If you not porting the heads / opening up the push rod pinch then just run a 1/2” drill bit down thru the 4 push rod holes in each head that are the tallest.

In 10 minutes your done!

ta man 04-23-2023 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud (Post 6422754)
Spot Eye by Paul is a fixture that does the oval. I used a grinder and rattail file

Rattail file works great for the final bit of clearance.

TA63 04-24-2023 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve25 (Post 6422847)
If you not porting the heads / opening up the push rod pinch then just run a 1/2” drill bit down thru the 4 push rod holes in each head that are the tallest.

In 10 minutes your done!

This is great to know Steve. I did a little port work, but it was almost exclusively in the bowl area., and widening of the port floor.

steve25 04-25-2023 06:09 AM

You can still widen the pinch like.035" and run down a1/2" bit without going thru the casting.

You will however need a strong drill.

A 3/8" chuck model and one of those 1/2" bits that neck down to 3/8" will not get it done unles you use intermediate size bit before the 1/2".

If you still want more clearance at the top and have a chamfer bit or a unibit then use that some at the very top of the hole.