PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   THE LOBBY (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=467)
-   -   Shipping cost (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=857347)

Radman 03-16-2022 05:57 PM

Shipping cost

I have responded to two people looking for parts recently. After getting burned by shipping cost in the past, I now quote a price plus actual shipping costs. I have a guy in New York looking for a grill, and a guy in Kansas looking for a hood. I took the grill to several places today to get quotes for shipping. A 2 and 1/2 pound grill from Ohio to New York by UPS would cost $342 and change. Two other places that I went to said that they will no longer ship car parts. And the trucking company that I was refered to only charges by the full load, that would be $2,197.12. This is insane. I can deliver it myself for less.

72projectbird 03-16-2022 06:29 PM

It's outta control. We've entered the land of insanity.

I shipped two trim rings, in one box, and it was $70. Wtf

Half-Inch Stud 03-16-2022 07:16 PM

I have rersorted to Facebook marketplace

DOC 03-16-2022 07:21 PM

If you can find a distribution business to ship to another buisness, the rates will be much lower. At my work, For me to ship a 18x18x12 box weighing up to 20 or so lbs UPS ground costs between $15-20 depending on the shipping zone. Again, Business to Business is normally the best....

mgarblik 03-16-2022 07:25 PM

I have a Fed-EX account. I see you live in Tipp City, OH I do also. Run that box over the Dayton International Airport Fed_Ex shipping point. It's right on Cargo Road and get a quote. Setting up an account is free.

boltbuster 03-16-2022 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72projectbird (Post 6327212)
It's outta control. We've entered the land of insanity.

I shipped two trim rings, in one box, and it was $70. Wtf

I guess that I got lucky? I shipped a '67 intake (43# boxed) from Lake Co., IL to St. Louis for $45, including $200 insurance, UPS Ground... I know StL isn't not that far away, but...

b-man 03-16-2022 08:33 PM

You can’t drop stuff off at a shipping outlet and not expect to pay exorbitant prices. About 20 years ago I packed up a pair of iron Pontiac cylinder heads and took them to my local UPS store. The cost to ship was double what it cost to ship them myself with a UPS account. No packaging for the store to do and the cost was double.

The folks working at the UPS store for the most part don’t understand how to package things properly anyway. Learn to properly package your items, never depend on a shipping company to do it right.

Once you figure out how to package your items in a bullet proof fashion then use your credit card to establish an account with a major shipping company like FedEx or UPS. Pack it, print the label and set it on your doorstep, residential pickups usually only cost about 3 dollars.

I get most of my boxes and bubble wrap for free, where I work there’s a steady supply of used boxes and packaging materials that get tossed daily.

Shipping costs have certainly risen but there are smart ways to minimize the cost but it does take some patience and effort to do your own packaging.

Items that are big and heavy enough to go truck freight are another story, but again there are less expensive options if you do your research.

Half-Inch Stud 03-16-2022 10:03 PM

i shipped a set of iron D-ports in Samsonite luggage via a GREYHOUND bus.
So easy i sent a crankshaft in samsonite luggage on a GREYHOUND again.

Easiest "boxing" ever.

63 Pontiac 03-16-2022 10:08 PM

I ship all over the country, there's no way a grill should cost that much. I use UPS for big stuff and do my own packaging.

400 4spd. 03-16-2022 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud (Post 6327274)
i shipped a set of iron D-ports in Samsonite luggage via a GREYHOUND bus.
So easy i sent a crankshaft in samsonite luggage on a GREYHOUND again.

Easiest "boxing" ever.

That is slick! I'll have to remember that one.

BOB VIDAN 03-17-2022 12:01 AM

You didn't say what grille you were shipping and depending on what it is it could be charged by dimensional weight and that can be really expensive.

fyrffytr1 03-17-2022 12:46 AM

I just shipped a visor for a 1950 Pontiac. Weight was 31 pounds 7 ounces and dimensions were 14"x21"x58" and it cost me $175 with $300 insurance. It went from south west Georgia to Oregon. I used UPS. The guy in Oregon is shipping a hood waterfall for my 50 and it weighed 41 pounds, box was 10"x12"x 48" IIRC. It cost him $117 with $500 insurance. He shipped USPS.

dataway 03-17-2022 04:22 AM

I have accounts with USPS, UPS and FedEx ... don't have to be a business to open one. Pack it up, weigh it, measure it, shop the rates, print the label, drop it off.

I paid less than your quotes for that grill to ship an Endura bumper last year. Wrapped up the sharp corners in heavy cardboard, stuck a label to it and dropped it off at UPS.

Andre 03-17-2022 07:49 AM

With UPS shipping account the more you ship, the bigger discounts you get. Business to business is best prices. I also generate labels for people shipping to me so they don't have to worry about shipping costs because if I let them do that, its rare they will get a cost that is high.

bird72 03-17-2022 10:23 AM

I just ordered a second dumbbell rack. Same as one I bought a couple years ago. 75lbs. Total cost was 80 bucks more than last. Most is attributable to shipping.

ta6point6 03-17-2022 12:08 PM

Like others have said avoid the brick and mortar stores of UPS and FedEx and just create an account online and print your own label. The size of box does matter so pack securely and in as small of a box as possible.

jhein 03-17-2022 12:28 PM

Shipping for my bare block is $460 coast-to-coast (from VA to WA). Seems like a lot but considering what's happening right now with the trucking industry overall, and fuel cost in particular, I thought it may be worse.

Scarebird 03-17-2022 12:37 PM

pirateship.com

Paypal **** the bed a few weeks ago making all switch to Shipstation. Their own forum gurus said eff that, go to pirateship.

Good rates, compares UPS and USPS quotes with healthy bulk discount.

mzbk2l 03-17-2022 12:58 PM

Thanks, Scarebird! That looks promising.

Scarebird 03-17-2022 01:12 PM

You are quite welcome - I was surprised at some of the rates myself.