PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Body Shop TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   Bad Prep or Bad Paint (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872058)

1bad65 02-17-2024 10:47 PM

Bad Prep or Bad Paint

1 Attachment(s)
Can anyone tell me what's causing the paint to do this? I wiped the valley pan down with Brake Cleaner before painting, was that a bad move? Should I prime it before painting? Thanks.

1bad65 02-17-2024 11:11 PM

Think I answered my own question... The primer did the trick. Thanks.

Rachelsdad 02-17-2024 11:28 PM

You always want to follow up your preferred degreaser (brake clean, in this case) with a good wax & grease remover (personally, I always preferred R-M 900 Pre-Kleano to Ditzler or DuPont, but YMMV). Then tack cloth, prime (always; at least one coat), and then color (at least two coats, depending upon what you're painting, the color, the depth, 1-stage or multiple, etc.).

For high temp applications, try the Eastwood High-Temp Engine Primer. (I knew a guy at the shop which did the original work on my '63 Bonneville in '76 and '77, and later, in '86 who used epoxy primer on his '67 GTO engine. Epoxy primer is nasty stuff, and at the time required a forced air respirator. I have no idea if such precautions are needed now, but I've never used the stuff.)

In short, the rule of thumb is always that painting is 90% preparation and 10% application. If the surface isn't ready to accept the paint, that's a preparation issue (unless you've got issues with your water separator at the compressor or some other application failure - but water or oil in the paint is easy to spot when you throw it).

Anyway, you figured it out.

1bad65 02-18-2024 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachelsdad (Post 6486649)
You always want to follow up your preferred degreaser (brake clean, in this case) with a good wax & grease remover (personally, I always preferred R-M 900 Pre-Kleano to Ditzler or DuPont, but YMMV). Then tack cloth, prime (always; at least one coat), and then color (at least two coats, depending upon what you're painting, the color, the depth, 1-stage or multiple, etc.).

For high temp applications, try the Eastwood High-Temp Engine Primer. (I knew a guy at the shop which did the original work on my '63 Bonneville in '76 and '77, and later, in '86 who used epoxy primer on his '67 GTO engine. Epoxy primer is nasty stuff, and at the time required a forced air respirator. I have no idea if such precautions are needed now, but I've never used the stuff.)

In short, the rule of thumb is always that painting is 90% preparation and 10% application. If the surface isn't ready to accept the paint, that's a preparation issue (unless you've got issues with your water separator at the compressor or some other application failure - but water or oil in the paint is easy to spot when you throw it).

Anyway, you figured it out.

Thanks Lewis. Appreciate the valuable information.

Red80TA 02-18-2024 01:29 AM

Primer will do the same if surface is still contaminated and oily. Some react a little better if they dissolve into it if contain similar chemicals, only hiding an issue that is still there.

400 4spd. 02-18-2024 04:14 PM

Those are fish-eyes, usually caused by surface contamination. FWIW, I don't use brake cleaner on a surface I plan to paint, only to clean brakes. And I don't paint brakes, so I don't know if they would fish-eye..

Jack Ferris 03-08-2024 05:03 PM

Make your first coat super light.

1bad65 03-08-2024 06:41 PM

Yep. It's all good now. Thanks All.

1bad65 03-08-2024 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Ferris (Post 6490921)
Make your first coat super light.

Yep. I went very light and applied several coats after each dried. Thanks.