PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Street (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Cam Degree wheel needed (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872240)

indymanjoe 02-26-2024 05:41 PM

Cam Degree wheel needed

Anyone have one they want to sell? Or any recommendation's on a cheaper one to buy? the summit reviews are all over the map from great to crap. I just used a small one but i had to rig it up so much i dont really trust it. My cam did come in at 110.05 as opposed to the 110. the cam card showed. im going to have to do this again since i also am in the market for a new timing chain after realizing it has too much slop. yes a rollmaster 30k miles on it. (hard miles) Thanks as always.

Skip Fix 02-26-2024 05:58 PM

I have a Comp/Powerhouse crank socket and a Comp degree wheel that works good for me.
https://www.compcams.com/ford-buick-...ocket-cpg.html
https://www.compcams.com/sportsman-d...l-7-5-cpg.html
You just need something like a dial indicator or "bridge" to find TDC

If you are chasing a 0.5 degree good luck! there is probably even on a new chain enough slack for that. The bigger diameter wheel the more accurate you are

gto4ben 02-26-2024 06:03 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I always print a big one and stiffen it with some backing.

indymanjoe 02-26-2024 06:37 PM

Great idea gto4ben!

skip i dont expect to get that .5 out i may try real hard though.LOL
thanks for the links!

indymanjoe 02-26-2024 06:37 PM

Great idea gto4ben!

skip i dont expect to get that .5 out i may try real hard though.LOL
thanks for the links!

Formulas 02-26-2024 07:32 PM

I have the Summit wheel of fortune, No complaints here.

indymanjoe 02-26-2024 08:36 PM

i just bought the 2 links skip posted. Thanks! I have the dial indicators and made a heads off piston stop. i think my 1/2 a degree off is im hearing that using a dial indicator for tdc is not the ideal way. either way it was/is a fun learning experience.

Half-Inch Stud 02-26-2024 11:33 PM

Hmmmm, i have a large dia aluminum degree wheel ,need to take a phototo post it.

Skip Fix 02-27-2024 10:34 AM

Also the crank socket will fit in the timing cover seal if you are just checking a few things like V-P on an assembled motor.
I leave the wheel bolted to the socket. Have an extra one for SBC/409 cranks with a wheel on it too.

Bill S 02-27-2024 12:26 PM

How is everyone offsetting the cam timing these days ? I still have a Mopar offset key kit P/N 4286500 in my tool box, which I used when I setup my roller cam last year.
Checked/rechecked mine a bunch of time, and was about half of a degree off. Offset keys in kit: Color code for cam keys: Natural-1 Degree, Red-2 Degree, Blue-3 Degree, Yellow-4 Degree, White-5 Degree.

TA63 02-27-2024 02:00 PM

I have the large diameter blue wheel from moroso and it worked great for me. Not cost prohibitive either imo.

Tom Vaught 02-27-2024 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud (Post 6488794)
Hmmmm, i have a large dia aluminum degree wheel ,need to take a phototo post it.

My wheel is probably the same size as your wheel.
it also has a "collar" that slips over the crank Snout/Keyway.

Tom V.

Formulas 02-27-2024 02:05 PM

My last cam degree came in spot on, new Scat forged crank, new Comp cams cam, new Cloyes timing set.
Checked every aspect along the way 3 different times for sanity

Skip Fix 02-27-2024 02:27 PM

I like the cam keys myself. Crank sprockets are never right on, plus you have to reset the TDC marker on the wheel.

indymanjoe 02-27-2024 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill S (Post 6488852)
How is everyone offsetting the cam timing these days ? I still have a Mopar offset key kit P/N 4286500 in my tool box, which I used when I setup my roller cam last year.
Checked/rechecked mine a bunch of time, and was about half of a degree off. Offset keys in kit: Color code for cam keys: Natural-1 Degree, Red-2 Degree, Blue-3 Degree, Yellow-4 Degree, White-5 Degree.

those are hard to find anymore.ive been looking on ebay with no luck.
what timing chain are you using?

Scott Stoneburg 02-27-2024 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indymanjoe (Post 6488926)
those are hard to find anymore.ive been looking on ebay with no luck.
what timing chain are you using?

Pretty sure Mr Gasket still offers them, just not cheap ..lol.m

1968GTO421 02-27-2024 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Stoneburg (Post 6488942)
Pretty sure Mr Gasket still offers them, just not cheap ..lol.m

Here is the link I found for the Mr Gasket keys:

https://www.holley.com/search/?q=Cam...and%20Bushings

There seems to be a limited selection there. Possibly you could use a combination of a cam key and/or a crank key and/or the bushings to get where you need to be:confused:

There are limited possibilities on ebay that are out there as previously mentioned

TedRamAirII 03-03-2024 12:02 AM

Has anyone ever checked the cam timing after 1K, 5K or 10K? I wonder if it changed much? Depends on the quality of the chain. My theory is to advance it 2 degrees, to allow for stretch and break in. Am I wrong?

chuckies76ta 03-03-2024 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TedRamAirII (Post 6489854)
Has anyone ever checked the cam timing after 1K, 5K or 10K? I wonder if it changed much? Depends on the quality of the chain. My theory is to advance it 2 degrees, to allow for stretch and break in. Am I wrong?

I would set it where it should be and just check it every so often. Then you can keep an eye on what it's doing. When were at the track, that's the first thing we do before our first run, check timing. On the street, couple of times in the summer. I find the timing bounces around a bit on the balancer with a stand alone distributor. With the use of a crank trigger timing is solid on the balancer when checking.

Seeing this is the street section, you maybe running a vacuum advance to add timing at cruise. So you have Initial, Mechanical, and Vacuum advance. I wouldn't worry much about 2* as I would make sure you timing is working properly through your driving season.

steve25 03-03-2024 08:48 AM

Loosing two degrees of timing if your motor is Cam’ed to the point of having a idle that’s at the edge of being stable when warmed up can mean a lot!

Slap one head on and make a cranking compression test between the two settings and you might find yourself thinking twice.