PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Street (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Better shaker intake options? (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861932)

Vroom_vroom 10-01-2022 03:00 PM

Better shaker intake options?

Wondering if there is a better intake suited for my application (built 400)Happy with the way the car runs but even with the drop base my shaker is crammed up into the hood. I’m running the rpm intake on there currently.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...5f6761abe0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b-man 10-01-2022 03:20 PM

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=853441

Modified stock intake, either factory iron or aftermarket aluminum.

For anything at or under 500 hp it will get the job done just as well as the RPM intake without the fitment issues.

25stevem 10-01-2022 03:20 PM

Keep the intake and open your shaker if it is not open.

There’s nice power there to be had, ( and sound !) but you may need to richen up the secondary’s by moding the rods.

Vroom_vroom 10-01-2022 03:37 PM

It’s opened up already. I have a drop base that is a Hp robber and I want to throw it in the trash. I had thought about buying an oem base and the ho repop. I know my drop base costs me 18hp on a hurt motor dyno pull. Smi built my carb for my engine combo so I’d be hesitant to mess with it yet. Ironically I grew up in mt Vernon, should have known about cliff [emoji2357]

JUDGE3 10-01-2022 03:38 PM

RPM MANIFOLD

I am using the rpm manifold as well. (e logo removed and crossover cut, heat crossover and extra material removed as well)

how much of a drop base is your air cleaner?

I am using the blockers kit for my shaker, granted i'm not for a stock look by any means but I love the way it looks and fits. hood closed included.

Vroom_vroom 10-01-2022 04:37 PM

It’s a ptfb drop base. I had to cut it apart and off set it as much as I could backwards due to the shaker hitting the hood in the front. I had thought about the blockers set up, not so much concerned with looks but getting it off the hood.

mgarblik 10-01-2022 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vroom_vroom (Post 6376435)
It’s opened up already. I have a drop base that is a Hp robber and I want to throw it in the trash. I had thought about buying an oem base and the ho repop. I know my drop base costs me 18hp on a hurt motor dyno pull. Smi built my carb for my engine combo so I’d be hesitant to mess with it yet. Ironically I grew up in mt Vernon, should have known about cliff [emoji2357]

Unless they have made major improvements in the castings, the 455-HO reproduction intake is only suitable for idling off a trailer and on to a car show field . To make any HP with that manifold, major epoxy work or welding will be required to move all the runners around to make them fit the heads properly and straighten them out. Probably in the neighborhood of 10-12 hours of labor to make a decent intake out of it. Just a heads-up.

Skip Fix 10-01-2022 07:45 PM

As the other guys said depends on HP range. getting over 550 or so a Torker II will pick up a lot over any factory intake( I swapped them) and is shorter than the RPM and with a little squeeze a factory base can fit but tight. Any air filter is going to be restrictive. A Shaker base K&N high flow filter when my motor was tuned for it and pulled it out lean popped out the Shaker-quite a sight at night!

Vroom_vroom 10-01-2022 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Fix (Post 6376499)
As the other guys said depends on HP range. getting over 550 or so a Torker II will pick up a lot over any factory intake( I swapped them) and is shorter than the RPM and with a little squeeze a factory base can fit but tight. Any air filter is going to be restrictive. A Shaker base K&N high flow filter when my motor was tuned for it and pulled it out lean popped out the Shaker-quite a sight at night!

I’ll have to get off my butt and call blockers I suppose. The combo I’m running I’m pretty pleased with but I’m getting tired of the hood rubbing on my fender. My other brain fart is can you use a torker II with the qjet?

The drop base I’m running has half an inch of clearance between the bottom donut and the lid for air flow and the filter is known to be very restrictive. I suppose my beef is with the drop base more than the intake. [emoji3525]

shaker455 10-01-2022 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vroom_vroom (Post 6376460)
It’s a ptfb drop base. I had to cut it apart and off set it as much as I could backwards due to the shaker hitting the hood in the front. I had thought about the blockers set up, not so much concerned with looks but getting it off the hood.

I have Larry Navarro's spun aluminum 2-piece drop base on my 71' Trans am with RPM intake.

I suggest you pick one of those up rather than change your intake.

You can space the inner & outer sections of the drop base to make your shaker sit in the proper spot.

tom s 10-01-2022 09:37 PM

Try the HSD intake,same height as stock.Tom

Vroom_vroom 10-01-2022 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaker455 (Post 6376514)
I have Larry Navarro's spun aluminum 2-piece drop base on my 71' Trans am with RPM intake.

I suggest you pick one of those up rather than change your intake.

You can space the inner & outer sections of the drop base to make your shaker sit in the proper spot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom s (Post 6376520)

Is that the wfo? Had one of them before the ptfb one……..

shaker455 10-02-2022 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vroom_vroom (Post 6376545)
Is that the wfo? Had one of them before the ptfb one……..

Not sure what it's called now, I think Butler has the Larry Navarro drop base

https://butlerperformance.com/i-2718...tf-ep-401.html

If you look at last pic you can see the screws holding the inner & outer together
I machined a spacer between the two parts to get right shaker height
It's not plug & play, you have to make it fit, I do not have that big come air filter.

intense 10-02-2022 10:52 AM

So let me understand this if you have a factory non reproduction 455 HO intake it is not the best one to put on your car?

TCSGTO 10-02-2022 11:06 AM

Those spun aluminum styles are some of the most restrictive of the drop base filters. The bottom half of the filter Is blocked by the base. You may as well run a 1” filter with a flat base.
No drop base is as good as a flat one but the L88 unit has been proven effective. 2” drop with a smooth radius. With a stock intake you could probably run a 4” tall filter with it.

Vroom_vroom 10-02-2022 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCSGTO (Post 6376636)
Those spun aluminum styles are some of the most restrictive of the drop base filters. The bottom half of the filter Is blocked by the base. You may as well run a 1” filter with a flat base.
No drop base is as good as a flat one but the L88 unit has been proven effective. 2” drop with a smooth radius. With a stock intake you could probably run a 4” tall filter with it.

What is the l88 unit? From a vette? How would you connect it to the shaker?

Steve C. 10-02-2022 12:10 PM

" So let me understand this if you have a factory non reproduction 455 HO intake it is not the best one to put on your car?"

The reproduction aluminum HO intakes may look nice but more often than not their ports are a poor match. Take heed in the comments in post number 7 !

Steve C. 10-02-2022 12:26 PM

For the most part this is the 'same' as the Holley Street Dominator intake Tom S mentions above....

STOCK height and angle for Ram Air and Shaker applications or any application with limited hood clearance.
However due note their port exit openings are cast small in order to work with a stock factory cylinder head, they too will often need proper work to match up.

https://butlerperformance.com/i-2445...tegory:1234847

Sirrotica 10-02-2022 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom s (Post 6376520)

X2, I've used that intake on many second gen T/As, the shaker is a bolt on with that intake. It probably would work better with a spacer, but space limits it on second gens.

78w72 10-03-2022 10:31 AM

the holley street dominator or the aftermarket ones cast after an SD ported HSD are good too. lots of companies have copied the original tomahawk over the years, can buy them new for a lot cheaper than butler or can find them used for about $100.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26411819528...Bk9SR8r1huTzYA