PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Street (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Vacuum pump fail/fix question (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864498)

yellow1098 02-05-2023 01:54 AM

Vacuum pump fail/fix question

So I have a 461 and made one pull tonight and then a light highway cruise home at about 2500/3000 rpm at most. When I got her home and in the garage I noticed my vacuum pump threw the belt. It must have happened during the pull and then rode home with the belt off.

Firstly……would that 25 min ride home on the highway with my vacuum pump not working hurt my engine at all? It had good oil pressure the whole time the only thing I noticed was some leaking out of the rubber grommet I have plugged.

Also….The problem with the pump is the pulley plate on the crank is wobbly and I think either it isn’t seated right or warped. If it is warped can I get a machine shop to make it perfectly level or would I have to get a new one from butler?

Thank you all as always

25stevem 02-05-2023 08:22 AM

You did no harm by driving without a functioning pump.

You need to post up pictures of your crank pulley set so we can maybe see what’s going on.

chuckies76ta 02-05-2023 09:06 AM

This ^^^. No harm without pump. Check these guys out at Tin Indian. Get yourself an aluminum pulley system. It's adjustable. You can get yourself some longer hex head bolts to accommodate installation onto your balance/pulley system. Oh and a little blue loctite on bolt threads.
https://tinindianperformance.com/Tin...%20systems.htm

yellow1098 02-05-2023 10:52 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Thank you…..that’s great to hear…..here the pic of the setup

Skip Fix 02-05-2023 11:43 AM

Problem I have with the aluminum spacer type mandrels is getting it exactly straight in line with the pump.

mgarblik 02-05-2023 12:27 PM

I hate to be critical of anyone's set up. But the tiny long shaft coming from the crankshaft lends itself to bending forces with little belt tension. Looks to be 1/2". Anyway to use more of a large diameter aluminum drive mandrel to mount the pump pulley? That would stiffen up the whole thing a bunch. The other drive belt and pulley system looks nice.

yellow1098 02-05-2023 01:01 PM

Thanks guys I will check out tin Indian as chuckles mentioned……are there any other places or ways to get a larger diameter setup?

chuckies76ta 02-05-2023 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgarblik (Post 6405953)
I hate to be critical of anyone's set up. But the tiny long shaft coming from the crankshaft lends itself to bending forces with little belt tension. Looks to be 1/2". Anyway to use more of a large diameter aluminum drive mandrel to mount the pump pulley? That would stiffen up the whole thing a bunch. The other drive belt and pulley system looks nice.

Lol, Gad you said it. I was thinking pos. No offense to yellow1098 or anyone.

chuckies76ta 02-05-2023 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellow1098 (Post 6405963)
Thanks guys I will check out tin Indian as chuckles mentioned……are there any other places or ways to get a larger diameter setup?

You will really like there product. You don't want any larger pulley than they supply for the crank. They also fit really nice inside the crank pulley. You can shim your Vacuum pump bracket and choose different collars on the mandrel..

ta man 02-05-2023 10:12 PM

Using a cog belt with cog belt pulleys would help as well. My SD Performance setup uses cog pulleys.

Jack Gifford 02-06-2023 01:14 AM

Perhaps the photo is deceiving, but the V-belt doesn't appear to fit down into the crank pulley groove very far?

chuckies76ta 02-06-2023 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Gifford (Post 6406157)
Perhaps the photo is deceiving, but the V-belt doesn't appear to fit down into the crank pulley groove very far?

Yes, I noticed that too. I just don't like those pulleys that are metal. They actually remind me of the exhaust fan pulleys I've used at work. They have a key-way on them and a set screw to secure in place. and there heavy.

Dragncar 02-08-2023 04:18 PM

It looks like the pulley on the V pump, the pulley on the mandrel and the belt are not a good match. Belt sits low on V pump side and high on the mandrel side, asking to throw it off.
3 photos and only one pic of the belt/pulley that is the problem. The picture that would help the most is a sideways picture of the vacuum pump pulley/mandrel pulley alignment.
Was a straight edge used, pulley to pulley during initial setup ?