PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   70-73 Firebird & TA TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   73 TA, Auto or manual (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864068)

455-4+1 01-16-2023 08:40 PM

73 TA, Auto or manual

Hi there, just picked up a 73 TA, is there any asy way to tell if it was a factory 4 speed, or auto car.
Its a disassembled project, and has a normal auto shifter, but there is a 4 speed hump in front thats blocked off. The auto console is also fiberglass, so possibly a repreoduction, ??

VIN is 2V87Y3N10XXXX. Not an X in position 5 unfortunately lol.

Cheers

Formulabruce 01-16-2023 09:35 PM

get a PHS. You can get the main sheet emailed back to you once you pay.

455-4+1 01-16-2023 09:55 PM

Yep that's in the plan.

Does that still apply for cars that may have been sold new outside of USA.
This has been in New Zeland from very early on, and possibly sold here new

455-4+1 01-16-2023 09:57 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Not definitive I know, but it looks to have a lot of original 4 speed hardware attached. Fingers crossed

Held for Ransom 01-16-2023 10:17 PM

PHS will not tell you your TA came with manual or auto. Clues do indicate a manual trans. vehicle. May have been a no console car, in which case having the correct steering column will also tell something.

Baron Von Zeppelin 01-16-2023 10:23 PM

That hump and hump cover is Weird .
Was it converted to Right Hand Drive also ?

PHS on a 70-73 TA won't tell if 4 speed or Auto
Was no cost alternate.
If it came back as no console , that could mean 4 speed - or Auto on the Column.

If it was ordered new with a console, back to ground zero again.

But yours probably was factory 4speed with the clues you have.

Baron Von Zeppelin 01-16-2023 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 455-4+1 (Post 6400969)
Yep that's in the plan.

Does that still apply for cars that may have been sold new outside of USA.
This has been in New Zeland from very early on, and possibly sold here new

Yes it will still be available as an export invoice.
Congrats on your new TA !

455-4+1 01-17-2023 12:09 AM

Thanks all

I have seen some examples on the PHS site that showed original invoice which indicated if a car was manual or not ?. Was hoping that would be the case here ?
Maybe not on 70-73 as mentioned due to no cost difference ?

The car is still LHD (allowed here in NZ) and was registered in 73 or 74, will need to check. The cover on the steel 4 speed hump is just blocked off, and the retainer looks exactly the same as the boot retainer on my 76 manual TA. Guessing it was just blocked off and the retainer hacked to fit an auto cable. The auto shifter mounting definitely does not look stock.

Heres hoping as I have a correct Muncie, bellhousing and everything except the cross bar to convert it back.

'ol Pinion head 01-17-2023 12:57 AM

If the '73 was optioned w a tilt column, & still has it, feel free & check the colored pick tag (decal) on the column tube & PM me. That decal will be different than one with an automatic, I can check the my '73's man trans tilt. As a manual trans car, should also have a neutral safety switch.

Baron Von Zeppelin 01-17-2023 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 455-4+1 (Post 6401008)
I have seen some examples on the PHS site ....
Maybe not on 70-73 as mentioned due to no cost difference ?

Exactly.
The invoices only show content that had a cost.
On the ones you viewed , they had a cost involved with their transmissions.
70-73 TA did not have a cost for the choice , so it doesn't show up on invoices.

I have owned 1970 and 1973 models , it is not on the invoices.

pontiacstogo 01-17-2023 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 455-4+1 (Post 6400947)
Hi there, just picked up a 73 TA

Congrats on that pickup - I saw that on Facebook Marketplace and posted a link to it on the 'Pontiacs Downunder' group. Certainly a major undertaking, but looked like a good score. I ran the plate through Carjam when it was first listed and it looked like NZ new (or very early registration).

Formulabruce 01-17-2023 01:37 PM

Auto on column was still being built... just tossing that out there..

fbody_mike 01-17-2023 02:11 PM

Besides the steering column itself, wasn't the under dash harness also different for auto vs manual, especially concerning the fasten seat belt warning? I need to look back at my schematics at home, but I recall the manual cars of late 72 and 73 had an extra relay to integrate with the parking brake switch vs the auto utilizing the neutral safety switch for the fasen seatbelt buzzer.

455-4+1 01-18-2023 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pontiacstogo (Post 6401072)
Congrats on that pickup - I saw that on Facebook Marketplace and posted a link to it on the 'Pontiacs Downunder' group. Certainly a major undertaking, but looked like a good score. I ran the plate through Carjam when it was first listed and it looked like NZ new (or very early registration).

I hope its congratulations lol, yes a lot of work !!
But it will be a long term project. All of the required rear sheet metal is there and the floors are in surprisingly good shape, just the usual boot, rear quarters etc.
Rear frame rails are still good which is a bonus. Its certainly not an Arizona car lol.
There was alot of NOS and reproduction stuff as well, like lights, surrounds, fender flares etc etc.

Yep its been in NZ most of its life. Interesting enough the 1st NZ owner only lived about 1/4 mile from where I was born and lived at the time, I was 2 yrs old in 1973 !!!!

455-4+1 01-18-2023 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fbody_mike (Post 6401110)
Besides the steering column itself, wasn't the under dash harness also different for auto vs manual, especially concerning the fasten seat belt warning? I need to look back at my schematics at home, but I recall the manual cars of late 72 and 73 had an extra relay to integrate with the parking brake switch vs the auto utilizing the neutral safety switch for the fasten seatbelt buzzer.

From memory there is an extra relay under dash which I have never seen before, I will need to climb under and look at the column, and also the markings, pink tag etc etc .

It is encouraging that the majority of the 4 speed stuff is attached to the frame, the clutch rod boot has been there, and the 4speed hump is intact with factory sound deadening cut around it etc

Edit,

Column is non tilt, there is the normal ? arc shaped switch on the columns with green / pink / purple / purple wires, as well as the opaque white plunger style in line with the clutch pedal with 2x purple wires.
I am guessing this is the neutral safety switch?

Norwood 01-18-2023 06:47 AM

I’d say looking at the posted pictures that you can take it to the bank it’s originally a 4 speed

Formulabruce 01-18-2023 01:34 PM

Purple wires under dash went to CLUTCH pedal. To run an auto, they may be spliced together. They are thicker than other wires.
My window sticker for a 71 had paint color and m20 at very bottom of the window sticker ( from PHS also).

455-4+1 01-18-2023 05:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Formulabruce (Post 6401349)
Purple wires under dash went to CLUTCH pedal. To run an auto, they may be spliced together. They are thicker than other wires.
My window sticker for a 71 had paint color and m20 at very bottom of the window sticker ( from PHS also).

Yep your right, the 2x purple thicker wires go to clutch pedal switch, as seen goin into black connector above switch in photo.
Thanks for the info everyone.

3tas4me 01-18-2023 07:09 PM

Do you have the original engine block with the VIN stamp? If so, block code will tell you.

455-4+1 01-19-2023 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3tas4me (Post 6401429)
Do you have the original engine block with the VIN stamp? If so, block code will tell you.

Nope, unfortunately that's long gone