PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Street (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Cheap flex fan runied 10th T/A hood (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=842373)

crustysarge 07-13-2020 03:09 PM

Cheap flex fan runied 10th T/A hood

3 Attachment(s)
Next time you think about a cheap rotating part take a look at this. Belongs to a guy I know here in Italy.

Goatracer1 07-13-2020 03:14 PM

Years ago Ford had that problem with their OEM fan blades. I learned not to stand bent over the fan with the engine running.

Joe's Garage 07-13-2020 03:50 PM

I witnessed one of the Ford fans disassemble themselves on a friend's 5.0 mustang.

It was about thirty years or so ago.

He had just installed new mufflers and (I think) a new, open-element air cleaner.

There were about six of us standing around the front of the Mustang chatting.

He had the hood open and he was revving it up so we could be impressed by the 'new' sound.

His final rev was probably to around 6k and the fan let go.

Fan blade glanced off the hood and landed about 50 yards away, behind us.

Water pump exploded with antifreeze all over the place. Lower hose was shredded.

Water pump pulley jammed down between the timing cover and the crank pulleys and stopped the engine instantly.

Alternator was spinning about 100k RPMS - sounded like a siren. Took about two minutes for it to slow down and finally stop.

I've had a healthy respect for all fans ever since. Especially at any kind of RPMs.

charlie66 07-13-2020 03:52 PM

I had an alternator fan come apart on two different occations. One time it went right through my 1964 gtos fender . Looked like as if it got shot by a shotgun . Second time was 2 weeks ago it cut the lower radiator hose almost in half and cracked the paint on the hood with a big dent I dont like standing by the fender anymore when messing with the throttle. Most people dont give it a second thought..

Imagine that hood was open and someone was stanging there! (SMH) Not good!

Navy Horn 16 07-13-2020 04:19 PM

That sucks!!

gtohunter 07-13-2020 04:22 PM

Had something similar happen where I worked. Maint tech came to me stating that a large 6' diameter axial flow fan was vibrating badly and shaking the structure. I ran out there with him and it was running smooth as silk, and was about ready to tear into him a little when I noticed fan blades impaled into the ground, the side of a building and some time later found two blades on the roof of an adjacent building! I was so glad that he came to get me when he did, and not stood there and continue to watch !

grandam1979 07-13-2020 04:24 PM

My buddy had that same thing happen to a 70 Torino with the scooped hood his made it all the way out. Very sorry to see that happen to you.

72projectbird 07-13-2020 04:30 PM

I've seen quite a few cars in the junkyard with cheap fan blades thru the hood.

Quite the amount of force behind those things.

Skip Fix 07-13-2020 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie66 (Post 6160549)
I had an alternator fan come apart on two different occations. One time it went right through my 1964 gtos fender . Looked like as if it got shot by a shotgun . Second time was 2 weeks ago it cut the lower radiator hose almost in half and cracked the paint on the hood with a big dent I dont like standing by the fender anymore when messing with the throttle. Most people dont give it a second thought..

Imagine that hood was open and someone was stanging there! (SMH) Not good!

My Chevelle buddy had that happen to him on his BBC!!

PDC 07-13-2020 07:48 PM

I saw this exact thing happen with a buddy’s ‘76 Trans Am when I was in high school. Went through the hood like a can opener. That was back when you could find a 70-76 TA hood at the salvage yard for under $250.

But no doubt - the lesson here is don’t spend unnecessary time under the hood of a running engine. Setting the timing at idle is risky enough.

Steve C. 07-13-2020 07:55 PM

Related, and already eluded to...

Years ago if they used a mechanical fan, many Winston Cup teams used a inexpensive stock four-blade Ford fan. This four-inch Ford fan, originally built for truck years ago, was proven to be the most efficient and economical mechanical fan on the market. Many teams used it for short-track. The type of track often determined type of fan, for the super speedway most preferred to use electric fans because of the horsepower and fuel-efficiency advantages. Same today on many street cars.

Side note- I think the article meant to suggest 4-inch blades. But not sure.

tjs72lemans 07-13-2020 08:36 PM

I had a similar aftermarket steel fan blade go on my 75 Camaro back in 78. Just cruising about 45 mph. Took out the radiator and put holes in the shroud. Never used another one.

Scott65 07-13-2020 08:46 PM

Knew a guy growing up that came within 10 minutes or less of severely injuring or killing his best friend. The fan when through the hood about that long after Doug had been standing over it with a timing light... Close call.

Chief of the 60's 07-13-2020 08:53 PM

WOW!

More proof, you get what you pay for.

Too bad, it appears as though it is a nice car.

charlie66 07-13-2020 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Fix (Post 6160564)
My Chevelle buddy had that happen to him on his BBC!!

Both times the fan gave warning and i ignored it. Never again. Next time ill know to just change it out for a new one..

I hope your friend was ok...

Jack Gifford 07-14-2020 02:01 AM

I'd like to think that the crease in the flex blades of that fan create stress risers, causing cracks to start after enough flexing. The reason I'd like that: because then I'd be more comfortable with the curved blades on the flex fan I just put on the Pontiac in my GMC!

mgarblik 07-14-2020 10:07 AM

The few OE failed fans I have seen all failed at the rivets that held the blades. But all the OE fans I have seen have cupped blades and not the sharp creases like the one in this thread. When a blade does come apart, the potential for damage and injury is very high. The fan I just installed in my 62 Catalina is a 19" 1970 Oldsmobile clutch fan. The blades are a 2" pitch, cupped design. stainless steel blades riveted to a steel hub.

Formulajones 07-14-2020 10:17 AM

Wow, I didn't think people were running those things anymore.

HWYSTR455 07-14-2020 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formulajones (Post 6160754)
Wow, I didn't think people were running those things anymore.

I thought everyone knows not to run those, but guess some people swear by them.

Skip Fix 07-14-2020 10:44 AM

My buddies was not a flex fan it was a replacement form OReily. He was OK hood was not got a big dimple.

I had a buddy with a 70 TA have a belt let go and dimpled his hood. I'd never heard of that, then a few months later my 78 did the same thing!