PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   64-65 GTO Tempest & LeMans TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Trash recepticle ...Dealer option... (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=738969)

RAII 4-speed 10-10-2013 01:06 PM

Trash recepticle ...Dealer option...

As some on here know I bought a one owner 1965 GTO from the original owner a few months ago it is a Tri Power 4-speed convertible in great condition.... I have been trying to get the original owner to go for a ride for months now in it, He is ill and does not go out often. I finnally had the pleasure to meet with him again and pick him up for a ride in his GTO... He was the happiest guy on the face of the earth.... he remarked to me " I see you kept the trash barrel I bought from the Pontiac dealer in 1964" I said that is from Pontiac? he said Yes I ordered it the same time I ordered the tissue dispenser. He said look it is made for this car. Well he was right. Has anyone seen or heard of this option? It is shaped to the floor and made to hook on to the vent cable by the kick panel... I will attach a few pics of it..... Let me know your thoughts....Thanks

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r...nm1957/014.jpg
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r...1957/016-1.jpg
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r...nm1957/018.jpg
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r...nm1957/019.jpg

geeteeohguy 10-10-2013 03:13 PM

Never heard of it, but it looks legit to me. Thanks for sharing: it's amazing how much good information can be learned from a truly genuine and un-messed with old car. Congrats on your custodial responsibility and good taste!!

Andre 10-10-2013 03:20 PM

I've seen the dealer installed trash resceptacle, and it doesn't look like that at all. This looks like something generic that could purchased at a Western Auto, or JC Whitney or some where along those lines.

8LUG 10-10-2013 05:00 PM

litter container

2 Attachment(s)
1964-65 GP 8.891 LITTER CONTAINER-Red...............985740 MPB/9-15-64 revised 2-1-65

John V. 10-10-2013 05:55 PM

8LUG, I was posting as you posted that. Are you sure that is the 985740?

I can't say I've seen one, but I'm leaning toward the Black one being correct (985822 for the '65 Black).

Neither the '64 nor '65 Accessory Catalogs show the Litter Container. However, Accessory Package Nos. were made available in '65 and were offered for the '64/'65 Models (no distinction for Pontiac vs. Tempest).

The '65 Packages came in Red, Blue, Black, or Fawn.

Same colors were offered for '66 but new Accessory Package Nos. were used for them. This time, the Litter Basket WAS illustrated in the Accessory Catalog. The description shows that it was to cling to the transmission tunnel and was weighted to avoid tipping.

Just guessing, but would make sense to me that the '66 Litter Basket was a design change from the '65 and the one you have was the one offered by Pontiac Dealers for the '65 Model Year.

I wrote the above before seeing 8LUGS post.

8LUG, yours looks like the one illustrated in the '66 Accessory Catalog.

Would be strange that they changed the Accessory Package No. if they were unchanged from '65 (same colors offered in '66). Red in '66 was 986608.

I disagree with Andre about it looking generic. That hanger is too model specific to my eye to have been offered at a Dept. store for generic use.

Andre 10-10-2013 09:31 PM

If I see some evidence that this isn't generic, I will change my assessment. Actually in this case, the original owner can give some feedback. Or maybe some other members can chime in.

RAII 4-speed 10-10-2013 09:52 PM

The Original owner did tell me that he purchased it from the Dealer at the same time he purchased the tissue dispenser...... I do have a TON of receipts for everything he bought for the car including when he bought gas ... I will look thru them and try to find the one for the tissue dispenser and the trash receptical.
Here is a picture of the tissue dispenser
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r...57/GTO_024.jpg

CATBIRD 10-11-2013 12:34 AM

That looks like #989545 which was first offered in 1959 for cars with air conditioning. The standard litter basket #989544 mounted under the dash above the transmission hump. It couldn't be used because there was an A/C outlet in that location, and ductwork all along the bottom dash edge. I think that #989545 continued to be used for console equipped cars in successive years. Obviously the beanbag basket wouldn't work in that application……John

Old Goat 67 10-11-2013 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAII 4-speed (Post 5038733)
" I see you kept the trash barrel I bought from the Pontiac dealer in 1964" I said that is from Pontiac? he said Yes I ordered it the same time I ordered the tissue dispenser. He said look it is made for this car. Well he was right.

I'd have to believe the :old:. :usa2:

John V. 10-11-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CATBIRD (Post 5039128)
That looks like #989545 which was first offered in 1959 for cars with air conditioning. The standard litter basket #989544 mounted under the dash above the transmission hump. It couldn't be used because there was an A/C outlet in that location, and ductwork all along the bottom dash edge. I think that #989545 continued to be used for console equipped cars in successive years. Obviously the beanbag basket wouldn't work in that application……John

I'm thinking CATBIRD may be correct here.

The Accessory Package p/ns Pontiac lists for '64/'65 are identical to the ones Chevy listed for the '65 Chevy in their Accessory Price Catalog, same colors & p/ns.

Chevy added the phrase "SADDLE TYPE" to the description, that would seem to correspond to the style 8LUG posted the pic for.

So perhaps, the older Package p/n was stocked by the Dealers for cars with Console. Makes sense to me, although I can't explain why the Package No. changed for '66 if the style was unchanged.

Andre 10-11-2013 05:47 PM

Referring to my 1965 Pontiac Accessorizer, I see the following part numbers for litter container
985740 Red
985741 blue
985742 fawn
985822 black

$2.50 is the suggested retail price. Although this document does not contain pictures, I have seen other documents showing a waste basket like the pic 8lug posted.
While the basket in question may have been purchased at a Pontiac dealership, I still don't believe its a Pontiac part.

marxjunk 10-11-2013 05:51 PM

ive seen a couple its real...not a jc witney piece

Andre 10-11-2013 07:11 PM

I'm trying to figure out how this would come close to working in a 64-7 with a/c.The a/c box would prevent it from fitting properly. In addition, there would not be a cable to hang it on.

John V. 10-11-2013 07:30 PM

Andre, the p/ns you listed are the same as Chevy listed in their Accessory Catalog for '65, and as I mentioned, added to the description "Saddle Type". So you are correct, in that the Litter Basket that the Pontiac Dealers showed for '65 use is not the type in the OP.

But as was pointed out, the "Saddle Type" would not work in a Tempest if you had a Console as the one in the OP does.

I do not know how that one would have worked in a '59 as CATBIRD suggested it might have been originally offered for (the Accessory Package p/ns he provided can be found in the '60 Pontiac MPC).

But apparently it did for '59 & '60 Pontiacs with A/C. Notice, that does NOT mean it would work in a '64-'67 with A/C.

And now marxjunk says he has seen them also.

And apparently the Pontiac dealer that sold that '65 was familiar enough with it to know that he could sell it for use in that console equipped '65.

And by the fact that Chevy offered the same Saddle Type Litter Baskets in the same colors using the same Dealer Package p/ns, I would have to say they weren't Pontiac parts per se either but accessories common among multiple Divs. Only some accessories would have been Pontiac specific, ie., those that showed a Pontiac emblem or logo of some sort. And typically, even those accessories were shared by the other Divs, only differing by the emblem or logo.

I think what I am suggesting is that just because the Litter Basket in the OP was not identified as specific to the '65 application, it was no less a legitimate official GM Dealer Accessory sold in this case by a Pontiac Dealer.

Andre 10-11-2013 07:45 PM

If it is indeed a '59-60 item, and its now 5 years later in 1965 and a dealer still had some left over in inventory, I'm sure that they would be happy to sell it and satisfy a customer, and their pocket. I don't know what GM allowed or didn't allow their dealers to sell in the way of accessories, or whether it was monitored.
Nothing against Marxjunk sighting of these in other cars, as that is evidence that others existed, but doesn't really indicate their origin, or how they ended up on the cars that they were spotted in.

YNOBIL 10-11-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAII 4-speed (Post 5039065)
The Original owner did tell me that he purchased it from the Dealer at the same time he purchased the tissue dispenser...... I do have a TON of receipts for everything he bought for the car including when he bought gas ... I will look thru them and try to find the one for the tissue dispenser and the trash receptical.
Here is a picture of the tissue dispenser
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r...57/GTO_024.jpg

Did anybody notice the radio? Looks like the dealer installed an aftermarket radio to make a little extra profit. When I worked at Kole Pontiac in 1967 nearly every car came in without a radio and then Kole installed a Motorola radio.

RAII 4-speed 10-12-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YNOBIL (Post 5039890)
Did anybody notice the radio? Looks like the dealer installed an aftermarket radio to make a little extra profit. When I worked at Kole Pontiac in 1967 nearly every car came in without a radio and then Kole installed a Motorola radio.

It is a dealer installed radio...It is actually an AM/FM 8-Track........... the original AM radio is still in the box that the dealer installed one came from.

marxjunk 10-12-2013 08:17 AM

i have an early trash bin NOS, i will get some pics...when i was a kid, there was a 64 GTO that was abandoned because the old guy died, it was burried to the rocker panels and it had one in it..my buddy and i where surprised, and we debated for years...then at Domino Farms there was a black 64 with red and it had one in it, and it was black, stuck out like a sore thumb..

i believe its real...ive seen a lot of hoakey stuff in cars, and ive found a lot of weird stuff in dealerships ive cleaned out...remeber..options are the money...

Andre 10-12-2013 11:10 AM

Pimp my ride....
You are right about dealerships selling whatever they could to make a few bucks. Pure profit on items like these.

YNOBIL 10-12-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAII 4-speed (Post 5040010)
It is a dealer installed radio...It is actually an AM/FM 8-Track........... the original AM radio is still in the box that the dealer installed one came from.

Maybe it's not factory, but I must say an AM-FM with built in 8-Track is really cool. And since it came with a factory radio you have a factory antenna which most aftermarket radios didn't get.