PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Street (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Update: Molnar Engineering 3" Main 4" Stroke Crankshaft and 6.625" 2.20" Rods (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=860141)

Johnny406 07-18-2022 11:23 AM

Update: Molnar Engineering 3" Main 4" Stroke Crankshaft and 6.625" 2.20" Rods

Gentlemen,

I have an update from that 4" stroke 3" main 2.20" rod journal Pontiac crankshaft poll that I recently conducted. I was doing that research for Mr. Tom Molnar of Molnar Technologies and based off of the poll and feedback, he has decided to move forward and is willing to produce atleast a run of these crankshafts for us.

Though these crankshafts and rods will be manufactured overseas, they will be finish machined and quality controlled here in the USA. The cranks and rods will take around eight or so months from being ordered to being available.

With that said and at this time, Molnar Technologies isn't planning on ordering a bunch of extras. If you are wanting one, Tom Molnar is requesting a $150.00 nonrefundable deposit.

Again, these cranks will be an excellent addition to our hobby. With the 4" stroke crank, the 400 Pontiac blocks will be more potent and our 350 Pontiac engines will benefit greatly as well. Remember Ken "Ace" brewer's 383 Pontiac street engine combo? This will be possible/feasible again.

Crankshaft Cost: $1063.54

Floating Connecting Rods: $712.12

Pressed Connecting Rods: Slightly more if there is enough demand to make a run of them.

If you are committed to ordering the crank, rods or both, please send a e-mail to: sales@molnartechnologies.com and indicate what you wish to order (crank, rods or both) as well as a shipping address.

After the order is put into their system you can call them with your card info and they will apply the credit to your order to seal the deal.

Molnar Technologies: (616)-940-4640

PAUL K 07-18-2022 11:28 AM

Good news. Thanks for your efforts in making this happen!

tom s 07-18-2022 11:32 AM

You were looking for a 2.25 J ?Tom

Johnny406 07-18-2022 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom s (Post 6357739)
You were looking for a 2.25 J ?Tom

Yes but Tom Molnar wanted to produce something more versatile. I am grateful that he is willing to produce us a 6.625" length 2.20 rod journal .980 pin connecting rod for us to be able to use "off the shelf" pistons. The rods will also help out those who bought Speedmaster cranks that ended up being 2.20 journal instead of 2.25 journal as advertised.

mgarblik 07-19-2022 12:23 PM

Thank you for the effort to make this happen. I know the drill well. You just have to keep beating on the vendors, sometimes for years and years. Now we have another source for QUALITY parts we want. great job.

Matt Meaney 07-19-2022 03:22 PM

how many cranks constitute a "run"?

Dragncar 07-19-2022 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny406 (Post 6357734)
Gentlemen,

I have an update from that 4" stroke 3" main 2.20" rod journal Pontiac crankshaft poll that I recently conducted. I was doing that research for Mr. Tom Molnar of Molnar Technologies and based off of the poll and feedback, he has decided to move forward and is willing to produce atleast a run of these crankshafts for us.

Though these crankshafts and rods will be manufactured overseas, they will be finish machined and quality controlled here in the USA. The cranks and rods will take around eight or so months from being ordered to being available.

With that said and at this time, Molnar Technologies isn't planning on ordering a bunch of extras. If you are wanting one, Tom Molnar is requesting a $150.00 nonrefundable deposit.

Again, these cranks will be an excellent addition to our hobby. With the 4" stroke crank, the 400 Pontiac blocks will be more potent and our 350 Pontiac engines will benefit greatly as well. Remember Ken "Ace" brewer's 383 Pontiac street engine combo? This will be possible/feasible again.

Crankshaft Cost: $1063.54

Floating Connecting Rods: $712.12

Pressed Connecting Rods: Slightly more if there is enough demand to make a run of them.

If you are committed to ordering the crank, rods or both, please send a e-mail to: sales@molnartechnologies.com and indicate what you wish to order (crank, rods or both) as well as a shipping address.

After the order is put into their system you can call them with your card info and they will apply the credit to your order to seal the deal.

Molnar Technologies: (616)-940-4640

Thanks for all your work on this. I am still kicking myself for selling a new Scat 4" crank years ago.
Talking to Tom Molnar is a very educational experience isn't it.

adamo 07-19-2022 06:09 PM

What is the weight of the rods?

tom s 07-19-2022 06:23 PM

Racetec has 30 and 40 over pistons for that rod in 3 diff CRs.Tom

1_Wild_Cat 08-09-2022 01:30 PM

Just FYI for you folks...I was in touch with Molnar today by email. They said: "There were supposed to be several people interested but they seem to have all disappeared." I get the impression if people don't step-up they won't get made.

So - If you are interested get in line...That way together we can all get the product we want.

Johnny406 08-09-2022 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1_Wild_Cat (Post 6363134)
Just FYI for you folks...I was in touch with Molnar today by email. They said: "There were supposed to be several people interested but they seem to have all disappeared." I get the impression if people don't step-up they won't get made.

So - If you are interested get in line...That way together we can all get the product we want.

Good timing, I just received an e-mail from Tom Molnar asking me if I had any movement information.

Here is what I know, I have committed to one crank and two sets of rods, those are the only orders I know about. If you want one, please contact Moolnar Technologies and let them know. Otherwise, this is going to quickly die on the vine...

1_Wild_Cat 08-09-2022 04:22 PM

I'm on the list so that makes at least 2. I think my inquiry is the reason that Mr. Molnar contacted you.

I hope this works out - Molnar's reputation for machining and quality is definitely excellent. I would rather buy from them than Scat.

Tom Vaught 08-09-2022 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1_Wild_Cat (Post 6363198)
I'm on the list so that makes at least 2. I think my inquiry is the reason that Mr. Molnar contacted you.

I hope this works out - Molnar's reputation for machining and quality is definitely excellent. I would rather buy from them than Scat.

Today I might agree with that as Mr Molnar is a fine Engineer (who used to do all of the rod engineering for the Oliver connection rods)
until he started his own business.

Hope it works out well for everyone.

Tom V.

Douglas Willinger 08-09-2022 06:04 PM

I am placing my order.

IMHO everyone should order at least 2. 4" stroke with 3" main is IMHO the best Pontiac crankshaft.

As good as SCAT has been, they got purchased by some financial entity, which may not be a good thing.

And I am informed that MOLNAR is better than SCAT..

Douglas Willinger 08-10-2022 12:38 PM

Have Butler and other potential retailers been informed of Molnar's 4" stroke, 3" main, 2.20" rod journal crankshaft offering?

If everyone in this thread orders at least 1 or 2, and if Butler ordered say 25, and a few others made orders, this thus should work.

Johnny406 08-11-2022 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Willinger (Post 6363458)
Have Butler and other potential retailers been informed of Molnar's 4" stroke, 3" main, 2.20" rod journal crankshaft offering?

If everyone in this thread orders at least 1 or 2, and if Butler ordered say 25, and a few others made orders, this thus should work.

Good question Douglas, I really don't know. At the moment it's more of a grassroots thing but I hope that we can show the interest and demand to make it a catalog item.

Murf 08-11-2022 05:44 PM

Appreciate your efforts Johnny! I emailed them. Mainly just bumping this up. I hope something becomes of your attempt to get this done!

Murf

LStathas 08-12-2022 06:21 AM

Any thoughts on making it a a 6.635 rod to account for most of the Pontiac decks being in the hole or pin height adjustment made by piston mfger's

LStathas 08-12-2022 06:22 AM

My stock 428 was .018 in the hole.

Johnny406 08-12-2022 04:37 PM

It's Happening!!

Tom Molnar just wrote and informed me that they have enough orders of the crank to make a run of them so it's going to happen. I have no idea if and how many "extras" will be made so if you want one, please consider ordering it.