PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Street (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Shortest carb type EFI (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872660)

tom s 03-19-2024 07:49 PM

Shortest carb type EFI

For guys that have shopped carb style EFI,which has the shortest profile from base to air cleaner base.Researching for a friend that wants a 2-4 EFI setup.Tom

Formulajones 03-20-2024 06:48 AM

Ive never researched their height differences but I went with the stealth version only because it mimics the appearance of a Holley carb. Because of that the cowl induction air cleaners I use bolted right on and fit perfectly and the throttle linkages also were a match so no mods necessary. They also have fuel lines like a dual feed Holley so that works well too. Often that is what interferes on other throttle bodies as they have a fuel line coming out in an unusual spot that makes drop base air cleaners a problem.

I just happen to have one of the sniper stealths off the car for an engine swap. When I get a chance I can set it side by side with a Holley HP carb and take a pic, and grab the digital caliper to mic the thickness of each if interested.

JLMounce 03-20-2024 10:04 AM

The FiTech from base to filter mounting flange is 3 1/4". The passenger side fuel rail where the integrated pressure regulator is installed has a height of 3 9/16" from the mounting flange to the top.

I haven't seen an actual schematic, but Holley states the Sniper is 3 1/4" tall as well.

tom s 03-20-2024 10:30 AM

Thanks guys,still trying to work out the intakes.He has a Offy spreadbore 2-4 and we dont see a 2-4 spreadbore offering.Might have Holley do a set.They use a master and slave system.We also have a Bathtub avail the reason for the height question.I also have a converted 421 SD 859.Tom

JLMounce 03-20-2024 10:41 AM

Holley is the only one that has spread bore TBI's. They don't list a 2x4 option for the spreadbore, but if you contact them, they may be able to produce that arrangement. The way that Sniper system is designed, I don't know if you'd be able to fit the two units in front of each other.

Sell the offy manifold and go with the new Kauffman Tradewind?

Formulajones 03-20-2024 11:04 AM

The stealths are what I'm referring to, they look just like a Holley carb. I don't know how they compare to a regular sniper height wise but I know the stealths work perfectly with factory dual feed fuel lines, factory air cleaners, and factory throttle linkages.

I always thought it would be cool to do a tunnel ram with 2 stealths. Ive seen a pair of the square throttle bodies on tunnel rams but haven't seen that done with stealths yet.

JLMounce 03-20-2024 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formulajones (Post 6493163)
The stealths are what I'm referring to, they look just like a Holley carb. I don't know how they compare to a regular sniper height wise but I know the stealths work perfectly with factory dual feed fuel lines, factory air cleaners, and factory throttle linkages.

I always thought it would be cool to do a tunnel ram with 2 stealths. Ive seen a pair of the square throttle bodies on tunnel rams but haven't seen that done with stealths yet.

Shouldn't be an issue as long as they can do a slave like they do with the square TBI's.

Tom's issue as stated is that his friend has a spread bore offenhouse manifold. That's the limiting factor here. The sniper does does have a spreadbore option, but it's much longer than a typical QJet or Thermoquad typc carb. I don't know if there would be enough space to fit two of them in a row.

I would lay odds that the stealth systems from Holley are likely the same 3 1/4" height. The actual throttle body section itself is likely the same between the two units.

tom s 03-20-2024 12:03 PM

Pontiac and Offy 2-4s have a lot of room between the carbs.A E 2-4 has them real close together like a SBC.Tom

HWYSTR455 03-20-2024 08:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I used a 4150 Offy 2x4, and had the ears for the carb bolt-downs tig'd onto the manifold itself. It was very low, I ran the dropped body bushings on a 2nd gen and was able to squeeze 2 AFBs on it under the hood.

Accufab throttle bodies are half the height of a traditional Holley, but you would have to work the intake for injector bungs. You would benefit with higher flow, since it would be air-only, so the intake would be less of a restriction.

Pic of the mock-up of the intake with a pair of AFBs from the 80s attached. It was a roller cam/early SD rod build, ported iron heads.

Second pic is of an Accel 1350cfm throttle body, I was building a blow-thru, and needed room for a hat. It sits below the fuel rails, that was I think a Tomahawk low single plane. (Obviously not a 2x4, but an example). That TB was like 2.25" tall.

The Accufab ones are like 1.95" tall.

https://accufabracing.com/product/fo...throttle-body/

Dimension chart for Accufab TBs:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...-sM/edit#gid=0

Problem with the EFI TBs is the injectors have to be at a particular angle, so it's only going to be so low.

What's the body style this going into?

tom s 03-20-2024 09:44 PM

We only have a height issue if we use a Bathtub,any other intake is not a problem.Tom

RocktimusPryme 03-20-2024 11:45 PM

I have a Terminator X Stealth unit, I feel it is actually a small amount taller than the Q jet that was on it prior.