PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Race (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=419)
-   -   Atlanta - Bad News (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=849290)

Elarson 03-24-2021 09:24 AM

Atlanta - Bad News

Buyer not revealed but they conspicuously say "final season".

https://www.performanceracing.com/ma...al-season-2021

Eric

Dave M 03-24-2021 09:24 AM

Huh?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

prostreet64 03-24-2021 09:59 AM

Yea, I saw on the NHRA website that they were selling the Atlanta facility. Something about needing to raise capital. Doesn't look hopeful that it will remain as is.

Mike Davis 03-24-2021 10:08 AM

A Korean Company started building a lithium Ion battery plant in Commerce. They were expected to hire 2600 people. There is not enough housing in that area of mostly farmland. A few people around the track sold property to developers for apartment complexes. Now the noise is going to be an issue.
Commerce was always last place to invest for the NHRA. They haven't updated anything since 2000. It's one of the only 1/4 mile tracks left near me. I usually test there before I haul to a NMCA event. Shame now the closest tracks are over 2hrs away.

adam woodmancy 03-24-2021 10:30 PM

Unfortunatel :(

DiamondJim 03-24-2021 11:17 PM

That’s sad

turbo69bird 03-25-2021 02:44 AM

What a Bunch of BS another “people buy next to something then shut it down” story . Multiple airports saw their fate this way., when they can’t shut it down for noise they get themselves on the zoning board rezone and slam the owner w tax burden. This crap needs to stop. But no one speaks up.

BDHABT 03-25-2021 07:39 AM

Figures.

We bought a few acres 45 minutes away to put a house on in the future.

Hopefully there will be some dragstrips left by the time we get down there.

Don`t want to sound selfish,but this flat out sucks.

Mr Anonymous 03-25-2021 08:22 AM

Osceola Dragway in Indiana is history now too. Aren't re-opening.

Mike Davis 03-25-2021 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDHABT (Post 6236567)
Figures.

We bought a few acres 45 minutes away to put a house on in the future.

Hopefully there will be some dragstrips left by the time we get down there.

Don`t want to sound selfish,but this flat out sucks.

There is Greer Dragway about 1hr away in SC. I talked to a developer last week who is a huge car guy. He was looking at 300acres to possibly built a track on. Not sure if he has enough $$$$ though.

Chief of the 60's 03-25-2021 10:48 AM

I have always said how great it is for me to have about 5 tracks within a 20 minute to no more than 2-1/2 hour drive for me but this continuous news regarding track closings is getting very disturbing. I fear my luck is slowly running out.

Skip Fix 03-25-2021 03:46 PM

I enjoyed the scenery around that track. Hauled there twice for the "old" NMCA stuff. Strict tech guy. No antifreeze allowed, two buddies will 12 second cars he go on to one for having a roll bar and out of date belts-so he used the 40 year old factory ones. another had the have an extra bar added behind the seat as NHRA had changed that rule-even though the car did not go fast enough to require a bar.

ponjohn 03-25-2021 06:29 PM

Another indicator that NHRA is in real trouble.

BDHABT 03-26-2021 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Davis (Post 6236585)
There is Greer Dragway about 1hr away in SC. I talked to a developer last week who is a huge car guy. He was looking at 300acres to possibly built a track on. Not sure if he has enough $$$$ though.

That would be great if that new track came to be,but we all know how that goes.

There is a local scrapyard owner up here that has alot of land that is interested in putting in a track.He gets along with the town,and is next door to a major airport,so sound would not be an issue.But it is in CT,so we will see.

Chief of the 60's 03-26-2021 08:59 AM

With this new administration, the push for electric cars, the push for killing fossil fuel, the costs to racers for racing and the cost to build, I cannot see anyone anywhere building anymore new track facilities. This is very unfortunate but as sad as it is, I feel it to be true.

mgarblik 03-26-2021 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDHABT (Post 6236870)
That would be great if that new track came to be,but we all know how that goes.

There is a local scrapyard owner up here that has alot of land that is interested in putting in a track.He gets along with the town,and is next door to a major airport,so sound would not be an issue.But it is in CT,so we will see.

Locating a race track near an airport seems like a great idea until the FAA gets involved. It can get very complicated and become a non-starter in some cases. Norwalk Raceway Park, with all their clout and millions and millions in tax dollars they bring in every year has had an on-going feud with a local airport just beyond track property for decades. It has escalated to the point of almost closing the facility a few times.

BILL BOWMAN1 03-26-2021 09:39 AM

I think the real issue is that once my generation, X, is gone, all this car stuff will be gone too. Most younger people are not interested in much other than their cell phones!!

77 TRASHCAN 03-27-2021 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponjohn (Post 6236756)
Another indicator that NHRA is in real trouble.

I have heard this, second hand from a track owner, this is the main reason for NHRA, selling. They alledgedly are on the brink of going under financially,and there’s more going to close, soon!

slowbird 03-27-2021 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN (Post 6237143)
I have heard this, second hand from a track owner, this is the main reason for NHRA, selling. They alledgedly are on the brink of going under financially,and there’s more going to close, soon!

In my opinion nhra sucks and doesn't listen to the racers so im not surprised they aren't doing well.

Chief of the 60's 03-27-2021 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowbird (Post 6237149)
In my opinion nhra sucks and doesn't listen to the racers so im not surprised they aren't doing well.

Hate on them all you want, but if they go, racing goes.