PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   70-73 Firebird & TA TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   Trans Am hood tach location? (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851788)

70badboy 07-12-2021 11:41 PM

Trans Am hood tach location?

Does anybody have a diagram showing the location with measurements of the hood tach for a 70 T/A? Thanks Steve

Tellyshavilli 07-13-2021 12:22 AM

Whaat??

70badboy 07-13-2021 12:40 AM

I want to put a hood tach on a 70 firebird. I am looking for measurements to put it in the correct location. I thought there would be a diagram for the hood tach on a 70 T/A that is why ask the question for a 70 T/A.

Aus78Formula 07-13-2021 12:49 AM

There is no diagram as there is no correct location for a hood tach. They tended not to call the dash tach the same thing. otherwise you are adapting a 67-69 Firebird type or GTO style up to around 72. I think they are ugly on any model, even if original or period correct.

Formula8 07-13-2021 02:43 PM

I could be wrong but I don't think a 70-73 Trans Am came with a hood tach as a factory option which is probably why you cannot find a diagram.

70badboy 07-13-2021 03:20 PM

I found a 67-68 firebird diagram. I wonder if that would be close enough.

'ol Pinion head 07-13-2021 04:32 PM

There is no "factory" hood tach location on a '70 TransAm, as ALL 2nd Gen Trans Ams came standard with an in dash tachometer/gauges & there was no option to delete them. Over the years, many automotive journalists have heralded the 2nd Gen Trans Am's packaging of factory gauges as the cleanest of any 70's iron.

First Gen Firebird front sheetmetal shares nothing dimensionally the same as with 2nd Gen Birds. Factory hood tach mounting on First Gen Birds was even different between flat hood Birds, & ones with the 400 "Sport Option".

If you are dead set on adding the clutter of hood tach to a 2nd Gen flat hood, might try to emulate the placement of the optional A-body hood tach on a '68-70 GTO. Actual dimensions of factory placement are in the '68-70 GTO Restoration forum, & its much easier to find dimensions than for installing a hood tach on a '71 GTO or flat hood '71 LeMans. The search Search function here on the forum works very well.

Norwood 07-13-2021 05:41 PM

Hard for me to tell if this is a serious post 🤔

johnta1 07-13-2021 05:45 PM

There were some Formula cars that had a hood tach. (aftermarket) I wanted one back then. I thought I had a pic of one but can't find it. Seems there was a thread on it here somewhere.

Try the Search function?
:D

padgett 07-13-2021 06:20 PM

a) no such animal
b) which one ? (Large/small, V8 or OHC6 redline) and Dixco made one that was most similar to the 67.
c) no factory hood tach worked with an electronic ignition, need a Vega circuit board or aftermarket.
d) I had a Dixco and a cowl mounted oil pressure gauge on my B/P Corvette.

Gator67 07-13-2021 07:56 PM

Once you go hood tach, there’s no going back.

padgett 07-13-2021 09:02 PM

Correct, once you cut the hole in the hood you is bin had.

70badboy 07-13-2021 10:40 PM

Thanks everybody, the reason I ask, when I was 16 my best friend brother had a 70 T/A and it had a hood tach. He could have put it on. It looked cool. He joined the navy and was on a nuke sub. He came back in a couple of years and was driving a new 74 T/A super duty. It scared the S*** out off me, boy was it fast. That is when I got hooked on Pontiac's. Steve

1965gp 07-13-2021 11:11 PM

If you want it on your car go for it. I agree on using the 68-70 diagram

NOT A TA 07-14-2021 12:09 AM

The first time I built my '70 (out of an Esprit) I intended to install a hood tach on the shaker hood. So I bought an aftermarket one and painted it when I was painting the car. Then when assembling the car I sat in it and tried different locations on the hood. Couldn't find one I was happy with and knew once I drilled a hole I was committed so I put the tach aside thinking I'll try again "later". Then every couple years I'd get the tach out and go through the routine again without success. Finally I got a factory dash tach and installed it, but still, every couple years I'd get the hood tach out and try again. Finally, ( after almost 30 years) I sold the hood tach on Ebay. YMMV

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albu...080&fit=bounds

cdnroundport 07-14-2021 12:38 AM

I have a NOS tach accessory package and I'm pretty sure has a paper layout for F-Body because the guy I bought it from bought it for his 71 Formula will look and post picture tomorrow

Kenth 07-14-2021 04:43 AM

What is the value of an unmolested original 1970 TranAm hood?

"if i knew then what i know now".

big matt 07-14-2021 05:24 AM

Years (10-12) years ago, while doing land clearing in the nw corner of PA, there was a garage with the overhead door opened up. We were hired to clear the trees on the property and around the structure. There was a 70 or 71 firebird formula with no gauge package, and a hood tach sitting inside. Car had been there for a loooooonnnnnggggg time. I would say easily 20 years. While chatting to the owner he said it was his brothers car. Bought new by him. He let me lightly look at it, but you could tell he wasn't up for show n tell. The car was not for sale at that point. I think it looks okay.
Point is imo, if you have no factory tach,
And you fall into the realm of having a car that the dealer could have put a tach on, then have at it. I would rather go this route than change the cluster. Having a chance in cracking up a 50 year old dash pad, bezel, wiring changes, ect. Life is short, do your car the way you wish. I do think hood tachs are points less on a gauge package car tho.

big matt 07-14-2021 05:37 AM

On a side note. That area where i was working in the above post must have been Pontiac land. The job i was working at, was on a real bumpy backroad. I was driving our semi tractor with a 50ton lowboy empty down this road. I was only going about 15 miles per hour so i didnt kill my kidneys or back. Going past a ratty overgrown house that i had been past before, i noticed the garage door open. I saw right inside a dusty, on blocks, blue 71ish judge with faded orange or yellow stripes inside. As soon as i saw the car, my eyes caught this old guy( looked like the old guy from Christine) standing 15' off the side of the garage. He was giving me the stink eye, like he was trying to capture my soul. Like the way youd expect if you got caught looking up a womans dress in walmart. Lol. He knew i saw his precious. I waved and went by. 10 min later going back the place was all closed up again. Oh well

johnta1 07-14-2021 08:16 AM

Todd Mullin where are you?!!!

71 Formula hood tach

:D