PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   THE LOBBY (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=467)
-   -   Interesting Turn of Events in the "Top Thanked" Ranks....... (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747012)

David Jones 02-06-2014 09:53 AM

Interesting Turn of Events in the "Top Thanked" Ranks.......

Weird.

Since we've had the "Top Thanked" info at the bottom of the forum, "The Boss" has been at or right at the top. Only a few "thanks" separated him and a couple of other obviously very useful people as they jockeyed for Performance Years Pontiac immortality.

Now SUDDENLY there is a new player in the race (fbirdinconcord) and he has pulled out a HUGE lead. Approx 150 "thanks" over the next most helpful guy.

Looks like the answer to everybody's Pontiac prayer has surfaced.........amazingly quickly, I might add.

Captainofiron 02-06-2014 10:29 AM

Scratch my back David and I'll scratch yours... haha

JLHarper 02-06-2014 11:15 AM

Finger gets to tired power wheel mouse scrolling down that far.....so this is the second time I have looked.....:)

Stuart 02-06-2014 11:36 AM

Does anyone use the thank function for any post that's actually helpful? I've only noticed it in the lobby in general conversations.

JLHarper 02-06-2014 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 5127686)
Does anyone use the thank function for any post that's actually helpful? I've only noticed it in the lobby in general conversations.

I cant figure out how the actual index (at the bottom) works, or is it just a FYI to start off with?

I just went back and clicked on the top members name mentioned above and it does not link to his last (or any) posts.

No correlation to what hes posted, and if its not listed in recent posts or most popular in one of the other groups, how would you find all this useful/helpful info hes posted?

Maybe it promotes participation, assistance and nothing wrong with that.

Keith Seymore 02-06-2014 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 5127686)

I find, in my case, people will often say "...hey, thanks for that..." but not click the Thanks button for that specific post.

Just thought that was kinda ironic...

K

Jim Doran 02-06-2014 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Jones (Post 5127621)
Weird.

Now SUDDENLY there is a new player in the race (fbirdinconcord) and he has pulled out a HUGE lead. Approx 150 "thanks" over the next most helpful guy.

And in almost all cases the same two users are the ones giving "thanks"
" dwallace, johnta1 "

marxjunk 02-06-2014 02:16 PM

never even heard of him til now...

b-man 02-06-2014 02:27 PM

Posts are being thanked during arguments to show who they agree with.

Posts are thanked for no reason other than liking the post.

Thanking goes on as a form of trolling, members who don't like someone will thank their posts over and over to get under their skin.

Maybe 10% of actual helpful posts get thanked, otherwise this feature is not being used for its intended purpose.

Lightfoot 02-06-2014 02:31 PM

What's even more puzzling is that he has thanked other members a (current) total of zero times. :confused:

I too have noticed an awful lot of back scratching going on in that department.

Lightfoot 02-06-2014 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b-man (Post 5127817)
Posts are being thanked during arguments to show who they agree with.

Posts are thanked for no reason other than liking the post.

Thanking goes on as a form of trolling, members who don't like someone will thank their posts over and over to get under their skin.

Maybe 10% of actual helpful posts get thanked, otherwise this feature is not being used for its intended purpose.

How True

goatless 02-06-2014 02:41 PM

Even more interesting.... he hasn't made a single post since last August- well before the "thanks" button came into being. Things that make you go "Hmmmmm?"

Lightfoot 02-06-2014 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goatless (Post 5127828)
Even more interesting.... he hasn't made a single post since last August- well before the "thanks" button came into being.

That would explain the zero thanks by this user.

It should be noted there are no limits to getting Thanked via other users digging up old threads to click the Thanks button retro.

b-man 02-06-2014 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goatless (Post 5127828)
Even more interesting.... he hasn't made a single post since last August- well before the "thanks" button came into being. Things that make you go "Hmmmmm?"

Further proof the "thanking ranking" has zero relevance.

Region Warrior 02-06-2014 02:50 PM

Just another toy for the post whores.

goatless 02-06-2014 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b-man (Post 5127831)

That's true. The only reason I even looked is that it was brought up here. It is a bit odd, none the less. :confused:

The Boss 02-06-2014 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b-man (Post 5127831)

Can it be removed? I would assume it consumes overhead on the server.

Personally I would prefer to not be at the top of anyone's list! ;)

cuz68 02-07-2014 02:44 AM

I hope not, That guy put a WHAT THE H on all the post hors. And i only thank when helped or when some one makes a very good post, As posted above most of you dont know how to use the thanks button. Have a great day and dont worry about it.

JLHarper 02-07-2014 10:55 AM

^

What was that cuz?

You lost me......what did he do?

PMD1969 02-07-2014 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Seymore (Post 5127696)
I find, in my case, people will often say "...hey, thanks for that..." but not click the Thanks button for that specific post.

Just thought that was kinda ironic...

K

Old school and I do it too lol