PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   67-69 Firebird TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=432)
-   -   Instrument pod LED lighting (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859719)

Sport69 06-30-2022 10:56 AM

Instrument pod LED lighting

3 Attachment(s)
So I've been playing around with brightening up my dash lights from the original dim 194 bulbs. Here's a set that's 400 lumen, I think they're bright enough without painting the inside of the pod white, but it is an option, it's currently blue (attached pic). Thoughts?
Pic 1. Instrument pod
Pic 2. Lights on
Pic 3. Lights off

JLMounce 06-30-2022 11:21 AM

One of the better modifications I did was putting LED's in the gauge pod. I don't have the ability to dim the lights, but that's fine on my end as I usually have my instruments on full bright anyhow.

I was tempted to try out red LED's but didn't want to pull the backing to repaint over the eggshell blue, which would have created a purple hue. I like it and I would run with what you have if I was making the decision.

Sport69 06-30-2022 12:14 PM

I believe you're right, I think they're 1000% better than they were, without doing anything more. Thanks...

JLMounce 06-30-2022 12:25 PM

The only thing I would mention here is that I would put a new traditional 194 light for your GEN dummy light. While an LED there won't cause any engine run-on or other mechanical/electrical issues, the LED doesn't provide enough resistance to function properly itself. Mine no longer illuminates on key-on or when in acc mode or car off with lights on.

Just something to think about.

Sport69 06-30-2022 12:36 PM

Does using an LED in the GEN spot make it inoperable if the alternator quits charging?

Old Goat 67 06-30-2022 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLMounce (Post 6353184)
One of the better modifications I did was putting LED's in the gauge pod. I don't have the ability to dim the lights, but that's fine on my end as I usually have my instruments on full bright anyhow.

I was tempted to try out red LED's but didn't want to pull the backing to repaint over the eggshell blue, which would have created a purple hue. I like it and I would run with what you have if I was making the decision.

The one I put in from Super Bright LED'S do.

JLMounce 06-30-2022 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sport69 (Post 6353203)
Does using an LED in the GEN spot make it inoperable if the alternator quits charging?

I don't know, but considering how it acts in a car off ignition on setting, it's quite possible.

dataway 06-30-2022 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLMounce (Post 6353199)
The only thing I would mention here is that I would put a new traditional 194 light for your GEN dummy light. While an LED there won't cause any engine run-on or other mechanical/electrical issues, the LED doesn't provide enough resistance to function properly itself. Mine no longer illuminates on key-on or when in acc mode or car off with lights on.

Just something to think about.

So now you tell me ... I was wondering why it doesn't come on at start anymore. Going to be tough to reach up in there and change it now :)

JLMounce 06-30-2022 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dataway (Post 6353230)
So now you tell me ... I was wondering why it doesn't come on at start anymore. Going to be tough to reach up in there and change it now :)

Yeah. I saw the bahavior a little while after I put the interior back together.

All I could do was sit in the driver's seat, admire the view, take a deep breath and think to myself...

...****.

grivera 06-30-2022 02:18 PM

Do the LED 194s install one way only to work? Polarity sensitive?

Sport69 06-30-2022 03:13 PM

No polarity, install either direction. They're dimmable too, but they'll only dim about 50% not completely like the originals.

JLMounce 06-30-2022 04:55 PM

Some LED's are polarity sensitive. Not all are dimmable. The cheaper ones you can get through amazon etc typically won't have the ability to dimm and are likely polarity sensitive.

If you purchase LED's that are polarity sensitive, having the cluster out to where you can see the printed circuit and it's ground paths is almost essential. If you're trying to do this with the cluster in the car, buy the higher dollar LED's that don't care.

Sport69 06-30-2022 07:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
JL, the ones I purchased were off of Amazon, they're not polarity sensitive (a big plus), and they dim down to about 50% of their brightness. They were around $16 for a pack of 10, more than enough to do my gauges, are 400 lumens, and the best ones I've found. I hope they hold up good, and I have no reason to believe they won't from their reviews. I wanted to be able to see my dash lights at night, these will definitely allow that now!

I have my dash out so it made it much easier doing comparisons, and testing out different ones. All I had to do was plug in the instrument pod, ground it, and turn on my headlight switch. I had previously tried some that were 135 lumen but found out pretty quick that they weren't bright enough.

This is the fourth time I've had my dash out for various reasons since 2014, I don't plan on there being a 5th, it's not a fun task!

Tuske427 06-30-2022 11:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have LED's in my car, and painted the back area fluorescent red as well. I also use dimmable LED's and love it. brighter, less power required, less heat to dry out the plastic, all a win win imo.

dataway 07-01-2022 01:50 AM

Mine are polarity sensitive and don't dim. Dimming ... not concerned, polarity though is a pain to keep straight ... and if you have to reach up there and change one .. not fun to have to do it twice because you got the polarity wrong.

Sport69 07-01-2022 08:10 AM

Tuskegee, that looks really good. I agree, a win win.

Sport69 07-01-2022 08:12 AM

Data way, I hope I never have to screw with this ever again in my lifetime, but that's probably too much to wish for, lol.

dataway 07-01-2022 03:00 PM

This thread has now added to my to-do list ... going to have to remove the left side AC duct and see if I can get in there and change the Alt light back to conventional ... luckily it's down low and sticks out some in the back.

Sport69 07-01-2022 04:33 PM

Dataway, get a young lad (son, grandson, neighbors kid, lol) with small hands and see if he can reach it. Just a thought.

grivera 07-03-2022 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sport69 (Post 6353331)
JL, the ones I purchased were off of Amazon, they're not polarity sensitive (a big plus), and they dim down to about 50% of their brightness. They were around $16 for a pack of 10, more than enough to do my gauges, are 400 lumens, and the best ones I've found. I hope they hold up good, and I have no reason to believe they won't from their reviews. I wanted to be able to see my dash lights at night, these will definitely allow that now!

I have my dash out so it made it much easier doing comparisons, and testing out different ones. All I had to do was plug in the instrument pod, ground it, and turn on my headlight switch. I had previously tried some that were 135 lumen but found out pretty quick that they weren't bright enough.

This is the fourth time I've had my dash out for various reasons since 2014, I don't plan on there being a 5th, it's not a fun task!

Do you have a link for the ones you bought?