PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   OHC-6 TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=496)
-   -   1967 California date ? (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=858708)

sprinter 2 05-15-2022 05:35 PM

1967 California date ?

Did all 1967 OHC 6 cyl. California delivered cars have air injection reactor systems or was it dependent on date of manufacture ?

Jeff Hamlin 05-15-2022 07:40 PM

MOST but NOT ALL.

It's my understanding that not all models built in CA received the A.I.R. system.
IIRC these were primarily cars ordered for delivery outside of CA so they fell outside the requirements.

DANTIP 05-15-2022 08:04 PM

Smog

Every car for sale in California has to pass certain emissions requirements. The manufacturer would need to test each engine/transmission offering for compliance. Some needed AIR systems to pass and some did not. For example, the 1966 GTO with tri power and manual transmission required an AIR system while the tri power automatic did not.

Jeff Hamlin 05-15-2022 08:37 PM

Sold in CA I would say yes, but Built in was my reference.
I recall reading it somewhere in affect to ordered, built, and shipped out of CA.

I'll dig to see if I still have this info.

camerjeff 05-16-2022 08:53 AM

Did the regulations go into effect on the Model year or Calendar year? Either way all Firebirds would have A.I.R.
But I don't know how it would effect Tempest & Lemans as they were made the entire Model year.

DANTIP 05-16-2022 08:58 AM

AIR

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Hamlin (Post 6342486)
Sold in CA I would say yes, but Built in was my reference.
I recall reading it somewhere in affect to ordered, built, and shipped out of CA.

I'll dig to see if I still have this info.

I don't have a specific Sprint info but I do know the Fremont plant was manufacturing GTO's for markets outside California (Washington, Oregon, etc.) that AIR was not installed. For example, a '66 CA GTO tri power 4-speed would get WV engine with AIR, while a tri power 4-speed car destined for a dealer in Oregon would receive a WS engine with no AIR, both leaving the Fremont plant.

DANTIP 05-16-2022 09:02 AM

Sprint Info

Does anyone have the details that distinguish the following Sprint engine codes? I suspect they may include with and without A.I.R. I can't find any good Google references. A '67 Service manual may provide the details but I don't have one within reach.

ZD, ZE, ZL, ZR

george kujanski 05-16-2022 09:47 AM

tempest engine codes for '67 OHC

1 Attachment(s)
attached

DANTIP 05-16-2022 10:13 AM

A.I.R.

Quote:

Originally Posted by george kujanski (Post 6342598)
attached

The table shows the following;

ZD - 215 HP Manual Transmission
ZE - 215 HP Automatic Transmission

ZR - 215 HP Manual Transmission with A.I.R.
ZL - 215 HP Automatic Transmission with A.I.R.

I strongly suspect that all Sprint (215 HP) equipped sold outside CA would be ZD or ZE while all Sprint (215 HP) equipped sold in California would be ZR or ZL.

sprinter 2 05-16-2022 10:46 AM

So its safe to say that a 1967 Firebird Sprint delivered in California would or should have A.I R. installed at time of delivery and the engine code would be ZR or ZL. Thanks for all the info.

camerjeff 05-16-2022 01:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I would say yes, My 67 Sprint FB, 4-speed with A.I.R. has a ZR block code.

60sstuff 05-21-2022 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DANTIP (Post 6342586)
I don't have a specific Sprint info but I do know the Fremont plant was manufacturing GTO's for markets outside California (Washington, Oregon, etc.) that AIR was not installed. For example, a '66 CA GTO tri power 4-speed would get WV engine with AIR, while a tri power 4-speed car destined for a dealer in Oregon would receive a WS engine with no AIR, both leaving the Fremont plant.

True ^^^ key phrase here is what state was it to be “Sold New” determines the engine.