PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Street (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Mini Starter (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853702)

TransAm 474 10-04-2021 10:28 AM

Mini Starter

3 Attachment(s)
Good Morning everyone, we went to install the new full size AC Delco starter on the 1979 W72 Trans Am that we just put the 467 in, and found that the factory sized AC Delco starter will not fit between the Hooker Super Comp header and engine to install it, so we ordered a Powermaster XS 9510 for it last night. I watched a few videos on YouTube, and one guy shows that he had to cut the factory 4-speed Inspection cover(dust cover), so that the mounting block on his new mini starter would mount properly, but he was using the IMI-108 starter, not the Powermaster 9510, and it was not a Trans Am, I believe it was a 67 GTO. Is it common practice to have to cut that cover when installing a mini starter? To better show what I'm taking about, here a a few pictures of what I'm talking about.

Cardo 10-04-2021 10:37 AM

I've installed the IMI on one of my cars and did not cut that cover. Didn't need to.

steve25 10-04-2021 11:27 AM

I don't think there's any down side to having to do that and in fact there is a plus side in that checking for the needed gear mesh with the needed big paper clip is now easy!

67Fbird 10-04-2021 11:43 AM

should NOT need to cut anything!! GTO-Firebird or T1000.....it either fits correctly or it will fit perfectly back in the box! I do not recall which mini starter I used but it was a bolt in. REALLY more interested in that the big 100 lb gm unit would not go in thru the headers. I know it's tight but "can't?" that sux. ...can you use a BIG oil filter (ph25) or did you have to go down to the smaller ph3506?

Chris65LeMans 10-04-2021 12:17 PM

I used the IMI, too. Didn't cut anything.

TransAm 474 10-04-2021 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67Fbird (Post 6284586)
should NOT need to cut anything!! GTO-Firebird or T1000.....it either fits correctly or it will fit perfectly back in the box! I do not recall which mini starter I used but it was a bolt in. REALLY more interested in that the big 100 lb gm unit would not go in thru the headers. I know it's tight but "can't?" that sux. ...can you use a BIG oil filter (ph25) or did you have to go down to the smaller ph3506?

Yep, we tried it from every angle possible, the big starter was a no go. For the oil filter, we are using Wix 51045, it is 4.828" long and 2.921" in diameter, which I believe is smaller in diameter, but longer than the PH25. Thanks for the help

Don 79 TA 10-04-2021 02:15 PM

i just put in the 9410 starter
all i had to do was take the shims off it and reclock it for the Dougs headers, as i am using a manual trans flywheel, seemed like it was set for auto flywheel is my guess
i really like this starter
i've used IMI's and have had some bad luck with them
i did like how the IMI was very clockable
i think the 9510 is the faster spin version of the 9410 ????? they had one model for 14:1 comp, and the other was supposedly a faster spinning one (mentioned for meth/alcohol)
they make a lot of them
the 9410 sounds like its stronger when cranking, but the IMI seemed like it spun it faster
not a big deal, both worked with locked timing and have clearance, but the IMI (hitachi style) is smaller compared to the Denso powermaster one
powermaster makes quiet a few starter models, so i may have it messed up model wise
the 9410 was supposed to be one of the strongest ones and rated for 18:1

i needed to replace the IMI one, which was their second strongest version as i though i broke ring gear teeth, but just the starter went
it would make one slight attempt to crank then sounded like it was either stripped teeth or a locked up engine
bench test confirmed this, plus i did check the flywheel all around too
it was making some weird noises
shimming the IMI (as with any starter) is CRUCIAL, it will F things up quickly

i did not have to cut the inspection pan either

Mike Fowke 10-04-2021 04:24 PM

It may be a moot point now, but can you loosen the header and rock it outboard enough to slip the factory starter in? This is what I had to do on my '78 TA with a Canton pan and Dougs before I got a mini. The RobbMc doesn't require cutting the inspection cover.

Skip Fix 10-04-2021 06:03 PM

D port or round port Hookers? I think on my round ports I could use a stock style but did have to loosen headers, went to a Tildon. Then one of my Canton pans had a bung there that stuck out and welded it flush.

Doug 10-04-2021 08:36 PM

CUT IT?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TransAm 474 (Post 6284574)
Good Morning everyone, we went to install the new full size AC Delco starter on the 1979 W72 Trans Am that we just put the 467 in, and found that the factory sized AC Delco starter will not fit between the Hooker Super Comp header and engine to install it, so we ordered a Powermaster XS 9510 for it last night. I watched a few videos on YouTube, and one guy shows that he had to cut the factory 4-speed Inspection cover(dust cover), so that the mounting block on his new mini starter would mount properly, but he was using the IMI-108 starter, not the Powermaster 9510, and it was not a Trans Am, I believe it was a 67 GTO. Is it common practice to have to cut that cover when installing a mini starter? To better show what I'm taking about, here a a few pictures of what I'm talking about.

I did! Left enough of a tab where your index finger is pointing to latch up between block and bellhousing.

TransAm 474 10-04-2021 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Fix (Post 6284691)
D port or round port Hookers? I think on my round ports I could use a stock style but did have to loosen headers, went to a Tildon. Then one of my Canton pans had a bung there that stuck out and welded it flush.

Skip, these are the D-Port Hooker Super Comp, they are a couple decades old atleast I would say, maybe even older than that.... so the newer Hooker Super Comp may have possibly been resigned since....

TransAm 474 10-05-2021 08:49 AM

Thanks everyone, we will install the starter, check the mesh, remove it, reinstall the cover, and then reinstall the starter. This will keep us from having to cut anything. Appreciate the help

TransAm 474 10-07-2021 12:46 AM

We got the starter installed today, it ended up bolting right on there right out of the box, didn't even need any shims, and was already clocked correctly. It sounds and works perfect. Before final installation, we did remove the two small torx screws for the Infi-Clock on the Powermaster XS 9510, and reinstalled them with a little blue thread locker. There was no need to cut that inspection plate on ours either.... finally got the new 467 broke in, it seemed to go well so far. I appreciate yalls help.

turbo69bird 10-07-2021 12:55 AM

I got mine from a guy In Jersey one eBay fit well like an IMI
But much much less money.
Had other minis that wouldn’t fit even though they were labeled Pontiac. Couldn’t clock them to the right position

If someone needs the info on the seller I can look it up