PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   THE LOBBY (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=467)
-   -   What does a retired carpenter do ... (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839009)

FirebirdHank 03-25-2020 11:41 AM

What does a retired carpenter do ...

3 Attachment(s)
when locked down due to virus?

I'm certainly not going to get rich in this endeavor. very time consuming but that is the idea..

Next up is a fifties looking pick-up.

b-man 03-25-2020 11:57 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Nice work.

To perhaps reap some returns from your busy work you could replicate the highly popular VW split windshield bus in several variations. Slab-sided and fairly simple to construct, would likely sell pretty well even if made to order in various popular configurations. Mass production in batches, depending on how busy you want to be.

The folks that are into these are not afraid to spend money, the ‘67 and earlier buses can go for high-end GTO money and beyond depending on body style.

61-63 03-25-2020 12:00 PM

Nice work! It feels good when a person makes something neat like that to just stand back and look at the finished product.

dataway 03-25-2020 12:20 PM

Put a roll of toilet paper in that truck and it will sell no problem :)

tooski 03-25-2020 03:59 PM

When I first read 'carpenter' I envisioned someone who assembled the sticks in house construction, not the fine craftsmanship shown in the truck. Excellent work.

FirebirdHank 03-25-2020 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dataway (Post 6122815)
Put a roll of toilet paper in that truck and it will sell no problem :)

Tried but I didn't make the bed big enough for a standard roll. Damn! Nobody is going to pay much for a part used roll.

nashcar 03-25-2020 07:41 PM

I am one also. I’m building a 77 Camaro with and for my grandson.

66sprint6 03-25-2020 08:13 PM

I'm a superintendent, but I still like to putter around the jobsite doing things. I especially enjoy installing complex commercial doors and hardware. I did tons of hobby carpentry as welll, until the car bug bit me.

sdbob 03-25-2020 10:14 PM

Nice work. An elderly man I knew 20 years ago would do what you are doing,trucks,dozers,etc.He would then donate them to our church for sale.

61-63 03-25-2020 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdbob (Post 6123060)
Nice work. An elderly man I knew 20 years ago would do what you are doing,trucks,dozers,etc.He would then donate them to our church for sale.

I see you are in Pa. In the mid 80s we lived in Rockwall, Texas and there was an older fellow there who did the same thing. There would be several of his creations at every church sale. I thought about buying one of them but never did.

TAKerry 03-26-2020 08:55 AM

Another carpenter chiming in, not smart enough to be retired yet though, I really like the truck you made. If nothing else, donate them to a local church or daycare for the kids to play with. One of them may grow up to be a car guy some day because of it.

I used to build a lot of furniture as a hobby (which doesn't make much sense, work with wood all day, come home and work with wood as a hobby:confused:) until it got to a point that my wife would come into the shop and ask 'what are you going to do with that when its finished?' At that point I decided I wanted a challenge and that's when I got my trans am to restore.

FirebirdHank 03-26-2020 09:12 AM

Thanks for the great comments.
I actually made it for my 15 mo. old grandson. That is why I used the plastic wheels, worried about damage to our hardwood floors. We'll see how well the glue holds.
I did think about making one for our church auction but that has been canceled, plenty of time to get a couple together for next year. Series II will have a longer wheelbase, sloping hood, more detailed radiator etc.etc.etc!

FirebirdHank 04-03-2020 10:52 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I was informed that there is an unwritten rule that you can't do something for one grandchild without doing something similar for the other. Grandma asked our 3 year old granddaughter what she would like me to make for her and she replied that she would "Love Love Love" a boat.
So back to the shop and............
The passengers are Fischer Price Play Family people that she spends a lot of time playing with.

69gp400 04-04-2020 10:24 AM

very nice work stamp it made in the usa

Shiny 04-04-2020 11:50 AM

That's awesome. Very cool! You should sell plans!

FirebirdHank 04-05-2020 09:12 AM

When Vivi said she would love a boat I checked on line for plans and found none. I did find one picture and that is what I used . If you would like some plans I can trace some for you.

FirebirdHank 04-13-2020 10:18 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Another week, another truck

I gave the grandkids the stake-bed and boat with their Easter baskets. Will see how durable they are. I'm thinking this truck would survive better under severe conditions.

grandam1979 04-13-2020 10:30 AM

I like all of them very cool very nice work. I think you could sell them if you wanted to.

Shiny 04-13-2020 10:34 AM

You're good! Truck is a great follow-up to the other two. What's next?

TAKerry 04-14-2020 09:14 AM

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...8d3a227039.jpg2020-04-13_01-31-19 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
Im not retired, but did have a little bit of time in the shop the other day. We were doing some millwork for a job and I had some mdf scraps so I put together a tool cart. I have been wanting to go to HF and pick up one but since 19 that has been put on hold. I used to have a Rubbermaid cart similar to this and I liked it a lot until it was lost in a fire. This one is a bit short-limited to the materials I had- so I made a lift off shelf for the top as well. Gonna give it a couple of coats of clear in the next couple of days.