PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Street (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Just bought NAPA GOLD 1049 OIL Filters (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=867544)

sdbob 06-26-2023 02:49 PM

Just bought NAPA GOLD 1049 OIL Filters

Just bought today 2 -1049 oil filters,on filter it says made in Gastonia,(.i think it said N.C.) USA. Didnt notice any other markings. Just my 2cts.

Held for Ransom 06-26-2023 03:31 PM

One of the WIX plants is located there.

400 Lemans 06-26-2023 03:52 PM

Yeah the Napa Gold and the Platinums are still USA made. Just dont buy the cheaper Napa ProSelect ones. The box says made in china.

3X24SPD 06-26-2023 04:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Good to hear it.
And nice to see at least some people still care about that.
Here's another one, from yesterday

mgarblik 06-26-2023 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 400 Lemans (Post 6436149)
Yeah the Napa Gold and the Platinums are still USA made. Just dont buy the cheaper Napa ProSelect ones. The box says made in china.

The Pro Select filters are now being repackaged as Performer series filters, basically the cheap crap to compete with autozone and Oreily's. Under either name, they are made by Champion Brands in plants all over the world, China included. My experience is they are an OK cheap filter. Same filter as STP, Valvoline, Champ, Pureolator, and dozens of other cheap filter brands. Different color can and part number.

Formulajones 06-27-2023 07:23 AM

Just in case someone hasn't made the connection, Napa Gold are Wix filters
:)

Excellent filters by the way.
Tip, buy them in bulk online, much cheaper than Napa.
I do that once every few years.

vertigto 06-27-2023 09:34 AM

What is the difference between the 1049 and 1258?

Formulajones 06-27-2023 09:53 AM

The 1049 is slightly longer, the 1258 being the smaller version.

I always use the 1049 even though it's the larger one, it's still only about 4.5" long and has fit on various Pontiacs with headers and/or manifolds without issue.

sdbob 06-27-2023 10:08 AM

Yes that filter fits my SD TA with stock exhaust and stock oil filter adapter. Also fits my 73 SD with 2" Hooker and other brands of headers I've tried. Also stock oil filter adapter. Just barely with patience.

hurryinhoosier62 06-27-2023 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdbob (Post 6436140)
Just bought today 2 -1049 oil filters,on filter it says made in Gastonia,(.i think it said N.C.) USA. Didnt notice any other markings. Just my 2cts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formulajones (Post 6436330)
Just in case someone hasn't made the connection, Napa Gold are Wix filters
:)

Excellent filters by the way.
Tip, buy them in bulk online, much cheaper than Napa.
I do that once every few years.

Agreed. Napa Gold ARE good filters. Explain WHY the last two WIX filters I purchased ( one for my wife’s Camaro and one for my Forester) had “Made in China” printed on the bottom of the boxes. Both were shipped directly from WIX.

ZeGermanHam 06-27-2023 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 (Post 6436367)
Agreed. Napa Gold ARE good filters. Explain WHY the last two WIX filters I purchased ( one for my wife’s Camaro and one for my Forester) had “Made in China” printed on the bottom of the boxes. Both were shipped directly from WIX.

I can't explain the why part, but the Wix filters I buy for my Subaru Crosstrek and Impreza always say they're made in Mexico. The Wix 51258 filers I buy for my GTO always say they're made in the U.S., including the one I bought on Sunday from O'Reilly Auto.

mgarblik 06-27-2023 11:18 AM

I like WIX filters and I like NAPA. I have made that pretty clear in many different posts. However since WIX was bought out by Mann/Hummel of Germany and with the pandemic coming and going, the company is in complete disarray. WIX/NAPA have been unable to supply many, many common filters to their customers. Simple ones like a filter for an old school SBC, on back order for weeks. Filters for Honda engines, used on almost every model, back ordered. The list is endless. As predicted, the first thing they did was raise the price about 75% from pre-COVID. Then they backtracked on a previous commitment to provide the US market with domestically produced product. But they did say "when possible". That must be where "China" product is slipping in. WIX has 4-5 production facilities in NC, and SC.

Cliff R 06-27-2023 12:31 PM

As quickly as this appears here oil filters (among other things) are shifting to cheaper quality and off-shore production.

I'm down to using Baldwin/Hastings. I'll save you the research, nothing much better out there and still made in the USA.

For the Pontiac engines the B-39 is what I've used here dating back as far as I can remember. They are full-flow and excellent quality and provide instant response on the gauge and the highest pressure readings when I tested them. They are also a tad shorter than most so clear headers on some applications where other will not.

I also use Baldwin for my daily drivers. You can look at them and inside and see how well they are made. I used to use AC Delco but they are really cheapened up these days

For those who like to do research there are quite a few video's on Youtube where folks are cutting them open and showing how they are made, etc.....

Steve C. 06-27-2023 02:25 PM

The Baldwin B39 cross references to the NAPA 1258 or WIX 51258

jhein 06-27-2023 02:33 PM

I bought 4 WIX 51258 filters 9 months ago. They all are marked made in the USA. So I'm good for a little while. Good to know about the NAPA and Baldwin.

70GS455 06-27-2023 02:46 PM

Baldwin B9 is a little longer and offers more filtration area, if it doesn't hit headers

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

vertigto 06-27-2023 03:13 PM

Looks like the Baldwin B9 filters to 18 microns and has an anti-drainback valve. Might be the ticket and good price from Grainger. Should be fine with RARE oversized manifolds on a stockish 400 I assume?

Can anyone comment on the Bosch 3423?

Steve C. 06-27-2023 03:13 PM

The Baldwin B9 cross referances to the NAPA 1049 (WIX 51049) except the NAPA/WIX does not have a anti drain back valve and as mentioned the Baldwin filter does.

Dragncar 06-27-2023 03:31 PM

I have a couple Wix 1049s on the self bought last year and they are Made in the USA.
I have since bought a K&P wire mesh, cleanable oil filter with by pass built in.
Thinking about using a 1049 on initial fire up then switching the K&P.
But the by pass is plugged in the adapter and the 1049 has no by pass.
Can,t think its much of a issue for the first fire up but I tend to overthink things.

jhein 06-27-2023 03:33 PM

The pictures in this link show the WIX has the anti-drain back valve.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wix-51049