PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   70-72 GTO Tempest & LeMans TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=436)
-   -   70 GTO and Lemans build sheet find (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=856862)

S Courter 02-23-2022 06:55 PM

70 GTO and Lemans build sheet find

1 Attachment(s)
Removed the seat backs from the bucket seats to my 70 GTO convertible project today. Found a build sheet in the passenger seat first and was elated until I realized it did not match my car. Found the second build sheet in the drivers seat and it does match my car so back to being pleased.
So.
The one in the passenger seat goes to a Lemans hdtp 23737 Palamino Copper with black vinyl top and saddle interior. vin ending in 121715. My vin ends in 705. I'm figuring 715 got my seat and I got 715s seat as both have saddle interior. LOL
So if anyone has or knows of a 70 Lemans Hardtop with vin 23737B121715 Palamino Copper W/ Black vinyl top and saddle interior sold in York Pa. I have your build sheet and would love for you to have it.

thepontiacman 02-25-2022 09:32 AM

Always interesting to find build sheets.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Jon Salem 12-16-2022 11:52 PM

I found the build sheet for my 71 lemans sport convert on top of the gas tank. Anyone know how to read the codes? For instance, the fuel pump box shows a 3. Is that a particular pump??

jabgolfcars 12-17-2022 08:29 AM

Interesting... that's the only place I haven't checked for mine. I've heard of it being on the gas tank, or on top of glovebox and other odd places. Thanks for that info. I know what I'm doing today....

johnta1 12-17-2022 08:34 AM

Can you post a scan of your buildsheet?

Probably depends on plant made at and year etc.

But some like that are the last digit(s) of the part # for the item.

:confused:

400 Lemans 12-17-2022 09:21 AM

I found three build sheets in my 71. Originally it had a bench seat in it and there were two in the springs, one on each side. I was very happy even thought one was in pieces and the other in decent shape. Then i had to take the drivers door panel off and low and behold there was one in perfect shape, taped on all four corners to the inside of the panel. All three of them matched my vin. Could not believe my car would have had more than one at the most. Always wondered if another is over the gas tank.

Jon Salem 12-18-2022 12:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnta1 (Post 6393900)
Can you post a scan of your buildsheet?

Probably depends on plant made at and year etc.

But some like that are the last digit(s) of the part # for the item.

The build sheet for my 71 sport convert.

johnta1 12-18-2022 08:55 AM

Thanks!

Yours being a 1971 and Pontiac plant is different than the 1970 one in this thread.

Took a while to find where the pump section is, but I would say the '3' is for the last digit of the part number or it's called a 'pick' number.

You may have to look at a Accs Parts Catalog to see if it has fuel pump numbers in it.

I did see where a 71 Judge had a '3' in the pump column, so would be the same pump for either car.

:)

Jon Salem 12-18-2022 05:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks. I'm trying to determine which fuel pump it should have (400/4bbl/no A/C, three lines), the big can or the small can................................The manual shows two pressure rating, low pressure for "no A/C" and higher pressure for "with A/C and all 4BBL," so not so clear.

Held for Ransom 12-18-2022 08:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A '71 would have the AC 40863 fuel pump.

Jon Salem 12-18-2022 10:07 PM

Thanks. Why do some cars have the larger can fuel pump?

johnta1 12-19-2022 08:05 AM

Usually cars with 4 bbl carbs will have it, and possibly cars with A/C?

bulletpruf 12-31-2022 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S Courter (Post 6321488)
Removed the seat backs from the bucket seats to my 70 GTO convertible project today. Found a build sheet in the passenger seat first and was elated until I realized it did not match my car. Found the second build sheet in the drivers seat and it does match my car so back to being pleased.

Had that happen to me as well - found a build sheet for another car in a car that I disassembled. I think it was a Mopar, but that's been 20 or so years ago, and I can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning.

TxSportCoupe 01-03-2023 08:27 AM

I feel like Harrison Ford/Nicolas Cage every time I find a build sheet. To me it’s sacred history. And finding it is to be a part of it. The Holy Grail of automotive, beads of sweat break out every time as I remove it to “safety” and, start the deciphering “the code”. Ok. I’m weird. But, I know I’m not the only one. To me fining the build sheet is the ultimate authentication and, the absolute best part of the dismantling process. I just hope some 90 year old retired autoworkers are getting a kick out of reading where we find them and, know how much it means to some of us to have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thepontiacman 01-03-2023 09:19 AM

It's fun to find original build sheets, factory markings, and owners manual packets with protect-o-plate after all these years.
I have kept many build sheets from parts cars over the years. I laminate them to preserve them so I can use them as reference material .

Found 2 build sheets on top of a gas tank in a 68 GTO one time and the second sheet was for another car.

A 67 GTO had "vinyl" marked in floor under bucket seat. Vinyl top car.

Good luck with your project.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

bulletpruf 01-03-2023 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxSportCoupe (Post 6397588)
I feel like Harrison Ford/Nicolas Cage every time I find a build sheet. To me it’s sacred history. And finding it is to be a part of it. The Holy Grail of automotive, beads of sweat break out every time as I remove it to “safety” and, start the deciphering “the code”. Ok. I’m weird. But, I know I’m not the only one. To me fining the build sheet is the ultimate authentication and, the absolute best part of the dismantling process. I just hope some 90 year old retired autoworkers are getting a kick out of reading where we find them and, know how much it means to some of us to have them.

Ditto!!!

Jon Salem 01-16-2023 02:39 PM

Fuel pump ID

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnta1 (Post 6394137)
Thanks!

Yours being a 1971 and Pontiac plant is different than the 1970 one in this thread.

Took a while to find where the pump section is, but I would say the '3' is for the last digit of the part number or it's called a 'pick' number.

You may have to look at a Accs Parts Catalog to see if it has fuel pump numbers in it.

I did see where a 71 Judge had a '3' in the pump column, so would be the same pump for either car.

Thanks, interesting. What is an ACCS parts catalogue?

johnta1 01-16-2023 04:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Actually Chassis & Body Parts Catalog
(too many words for me to type usually :D)

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...1&d=1673900318

2nd page shows other books:

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...1&d=1673900728

Huge book about 4/5 inches thick and usually comes in pairs.
One for description and other Illustrations etc.

Also was put out roughly yearly or so.

johnta1 01-16-2023 04:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics from that book:

Keith Seymore 01-16-2023 05:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TxSportCoupe (Post 6397588)

Me too. I can say for a fact that some mid 60 year old retired auto workers are getting a kick.

I just wish we all had thought to keep some of this stuff. I threw about 900,000 build sheets away at the end of the line. I also threw away dozens of assembly manuals when the new pages came in. Followed my own truck down the line and never thought to keep any of the paperwork (repair tickets, build sheets, etc).

Anyway - here's the only build sheet I've ever found out of all my collector vehicles. Top of the fuel tank on my GTO:

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...1&d=1673902914

I've got the interior out of my Chevelle installing a roll cage so I'm going to take another look behind the quarter trim panels and headliner. I've already had the seats apart, doors gutted, carpet out and replaced the fuel tank with no luck.

K