PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Street (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Engine rebuild/ startup (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=871232)

Terry M. Hunt 01-07-2024 08:35 PM

Engine rebuild/ startup

In the near future I’ll start the rebuild of the engine from my 66 GTO. This will be my fourth engine rebuild, but the last one was 12 years ago, so I don’t do this often enough for the process to be second nature. I rely on my factory shop manuals to guide me through the process and I recently bought Rocky Rotella’s book on rebuilding Pontiac V8 engines so I’m sure I can succeed again. There are a couple of issues that I’d appreciate some input on.
There are steps in the short block assembly process where the crank needs to be rotated. It would seem this would deplete the assembly lube on the bearings. Why is this not a problem?

After the engine assembly is complete, how long is it safe to wait to do the first start up? I’m concerned about all the prelube draining off over time.

Gach 01-07-2024 08:58 PM

If you use the correct Assembly lube…rotating the crank is not an issue. How long can it sit before its fired up…best answer I can give you is not years. usually the whole process is set up to be Assembled and engine installed and fire up with in 2-3 weeks to be fired up.

4dblnkldude 01-07-2024 09:27 PM

I built a 400 between Christmas and new years of 2022. The car went to paint 10-8-22, I just got the car back right before Christmas. I put the engine in the car in may, and I will break it in in about two weeks. I'm not worried in the least. Three years ago I rebuilt my 455 in my 69. I had to change the pushrod cover (long story) when I did it had maybe 1000 miles on it. I still could see remnants of assembly lube on the lifters and cam. I don't put it on where the bearings ride so it was like I missed and globbed some in front of the bearing.

Gach 01-07-2024 10:06 PM

My Assembled short sat on engine stand, for over 3 months waiting for my new heads. No issues

Dragncar 01-08-2024 03:17 AM

I have had a engine put together with mostly CRC Assembly lube. A thin black grease.
The engine sat for 4 years and it fire-rd right up when I got around to it.

Gach 01-08-2024 03:45 AM

Actually my short block sat for a good 8 months before it actually got finished and fired up. No issues

Stuart 01-08-2024 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry M. Hunt (Post 6477072)
There are steps in the short block assembly process where the crank needs to be rotated. It would seem this would deplete the assembly lube on the bearings. Why is this not a problem?

If it were rotated thousands of cycles it may be a different situation, but the limited number of times you'll be turning the engine over by hand prior to startup won't be enough to displace the lube.

74Grandville 01-08-2024 09:47 AM

My First build sat for 5yrs! But it ended up being fine. Built 2005, cam breakin 2010.

1950Mercury 01-08-2024 11:30 AM

I never worry how long an engine sets after assembly. But before I fire an engine for the first time I always use a dummy distributor (remove the gear) to pump oil through the engine. I also bar the engine over 90 deg. at a time to fill all the lifters. I also did this after rebuilding 3406 Cats and 855 Cummins diesels. I would feed 5 gallons of oil through the oil sender port. Never had an issue.

74Grandville 01-08-2024 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1950Mercury (Post 6477184)
I never worry how long an engine sets after assembly. But before I fire an engine for the first time I always use a dummy distributor (remove the gear) to pump oil through the engine. I also bar the engine over 90 deg. at a time to fill all the lifters. I also did this after rebuilding 3406 Cats and 855 Cummins diesels. I would feed 5 gallons of oil through the oil sender port. Never had an issue.

Agree! i forgot to mention I did prime the pump and put a little lube in the cyclinders before my 5yr start.

PunchT37 01-08-2024 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragncar (Post 6477135)
I have had a engine put together with mostly CRC Assembly lube. A thin black grease.
The engine sat for 4 years and it fire-rd right up when I got around to it.

Yep. I used the same lube. Mine sat for 6 yrs. or so. Built a Buick 455 for a co worker while mine sat on the stand. Think Pontiacs are high dollar? No problems. Roller cam and all. Quiet, good oil pressure, and revs to 6400.