PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Street (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Spark Plug Wires (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864409)

66sprint6 02-01-2023 03:27 PM

Spark Plug Wires

Who has correct length spark plug wires? I don't want to cut and make them. I've bought the ones off of the larger sites, but it seems like they're too long or too short. I also have an HEI distributor so I'm not sure how that affects them. I'm also getting the wire loom brackets from our host for a '67.

77 TRASHCAN 02-01-2023 03:40 PM

Well...I'd try to find someone that sells AC Delco brand parts. Not a lot of retail distributors carry the line, but AC wires may fit better.

I guess you are going with a points distributor, or some sort of small cap distributor that uses stock type wires?

Formulajones 02-01-2023 03:58 PM

That's a tall order if you want them to fit correctly in factory style wire holders.

They also generally don't come with the correct straight boots for the cap. Nothing that I've seen anyway.

As much as you may not want to do it, the best route is making your own so each wire can fit exactly as it should. I usually go the extra mile and buy straight terminals and straight boots for the cap end of the wires from Napa so I can make it all appear as it's supposed to.

ZeGermanHam 02-01-2023 04:07 PM

Just curious, why do you not want to cut them to length on your own? It's a very simple and easy process that ensures you get a perfect fit. Not hard to do at all.

66sprint6 02-01-2023 04:30 PM

I guess if that’s my only option, then I’ll look at cutting and crimping. I was hoping that someone had a set tailored for our engines.

Formulajones 02-01-2023 04:33 PM

With the wire brackets changing from model to model, AC and non AC etc.....It's about impossible for a manufacture to make and sell a wire set to fit everything out there and fit it "perfectly"

66sprint6 02-01-2023 06:17 PM

OK, thanks for the advice. So who makes a stock looking set that I can use with the factory wire loom? I believe that they have to be 7mm to fit the factory bracket and loom.

77 TRASHCAN 02-01-2023 06:30 PM

If you are still using a stock style distributor cap, what ever a parts store has on hand (or available. Not likely on hand for a v 67 anything. Ask about return policy in case the fit is WAY off). Go from there.

If you plan to use a factory style HEI distributor, 1975-1978 Pontiac 400 wires should work, regardless of body style.

68 Firebird 02-01-2023 07:00 PM

After about 10 years of service one of my DUI livewires broke when checking my plugs.
Picked up the premium HEI set made by Belden at Napa for a 78 trans am.
Cost was reasonable at 43.00. And honestly saw no fault with fit or performance so
There they stay.

Gerry

jhein 02-01-2023 07:01 PM

I'll bet you a dollar that if you make your own you won't regret it. Easy and comes out perfect. I tried a couple different sets pre-made until I gave in and made them.

Kenth 02-02-2023 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66sprint6 (Post 6404978)
Who has correct length spark plug wires? I don't want to cut and make them. I've bought the ones off of the larger sites, but it seems like they're too long or too short. I also have an HEI distributor so I'm not sure how that affects them. I'm also getting the wire loom brackets from our host for a '67.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...t=7224&jsn=410

Schurkey 02-02-2023 01:22 PM

Spark plug wire sets are...weird.

"Custom-fit" sets have all the wires too damn long, so they're a crappy "fit" on dozens or hundreds of applications.

"Universal-fit" sets are cut-to-fit by the customer, so they fit perfectly on that one specific vehicle.

I've given up on "custom fit" plug wire sets. I always cut to suit, and crimp on the distributor-end terminals and boots when I'm not making the entire plug wire from scratch.

Given a choice, I prefer the helical-wound (sometimes incorrectly advertised as "spiral") plug wires having a fine-metal-wire core. They tend to have longer service life than carbon-rope core plug wires.

Don't pay any attention to the advertising that brags-up the "low resistance". They're deceiving you by NOT telling you about the HIGH INDUCTANCE. Resistance, or inductance--either one--kills spark current while not affecting spark voltage.

PDC 02-02-2023 07:38 PM

I found the Taylor Thundervolt BBC HEI set fits a Pontiac engine very nicely with just enough slack to loom them up and over the valve covers. The 10mm set is cool if you like the aftermarket look, and they make the same set in black 8mm which fits factory plug wire looms. Get a black ‘stealth’ cap HEI from Davis Unified and it all hides in plain sight.

Holeshot71 02-03-2023 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 Firebird (Post 6405037)
After about 10 years of service one of my DUI livewires broke when checking my plugs.
Picked up the premium HEI set made by Belden at Napa for a 78 trans am.
Cost was reasonable at 43.00. And honestly saw no fault with fit or performance so
There they stay.

Gerry

I’ve also used these from NAPA, P/N 700255. Good quality and lifetime warranty.

vertigto 02-03-2023 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PDC (Post 6405294)
I found the Taylor Thundervolt BBC HEI set fits a Pontiac engine very nicely with just enough slack to loom them up and over the valve covers. The 10mm set is cool if you like the aftermarket look, and they make the same set in black 8mm which fits factory plug wire looms. Get a black ‘stealth’ cap HEI from Davis Unified and it all hides in plain sight.

Same here...worked out well on my 70 GTO.