PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Race (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=419)
-   -   Dual Quad Ram Air V Project (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723580)

428RA4 03-21-2013 07:09 PM

Dual Quad Ram Air V Project

1 Attachment(s)
So now the journey begins with high hopes, and an empty wallet. As the build progresses I would like to inform the group of the challenges faced with transforming a Ford Tunnel Port intake into a Vintage Pontiac work of art.

Questions and comments are always welcomed and encouraged. This will be a blow by blow thread cast of the progress.

Stay tuned...

mike

tom s 03-21-2013 10:33 PM

its on backward.Tom

Ron H 03-21-2013 11:10 PM

LOL, good luck. I hope it works out for you.

Baron Von Zeppelin 03-22-2013 12:15 AM

tuning in to this bat channel

looks like phase 1 is complete - suspect apprehended and in possession .

428RA4 03-22-2013 10:37 AM

Yep. Not only is the intake on backwards, so are the heads. Maybe the car will run faster in reverse...

Skip Fix 03-22-2013 03:43 PM

That way you reverse cool the intake charge:)

428RA4 03-22-2013 04:10 PM

5 Attachment(s)
As we start to get into the project, I would like to share some images and information to both of you that will benefit both of us from a marketing stand point if you so choose to do so.

First off, I have attached within this email some original Ram Air V dual quad pictures for reference. As you can see, the Ford intake is VERY similar to the single plane intake Pontiac created for the V project. I would like to create a "like kind" vintage intake as best we can. Clearly the height of the intake is a concern so I would like to get it as low as you can within reason, without distorting the design of the intake. The whole point of this project is to be able to stuff all this under a stock hood.

Second, Attached is also the preliminary V head redesign from DCI motors. When Don's heads go into full production, there will be a market for sheet metal intakes. You may want to post your updates once a week to the link below if you like to generate interest in the dualing USA driven projects.

Hopefully the conversation is robust, lively and spirited, and through osmosis, everyone in the Pontiac community will have the opportunity to learn, which could lead a new lightening rod for gaining interest in the re-birth of Pontiac V engineering and racing.

Thank you very much for your support and willingness to tackle this project. More checks are coming.

best

mike ornellas

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...62#post4884662

tom s 03-22-2013 06:28 PM

Mike,as I remember to keep the profile where it needed to be the flanges had to be way thicker than factory.I will try and post a pic.Tom

LiL Jack 03-22-2013 06:42 PM

That floor and blue wall look awful familiar.

ANDYA 03-23-2013 06:43 PM

I'm definitely going to follow this thread, should be interesting to see the transformation. I'm curious to see how close it will look to the Pontiac manifold when finished.

tom s 03-23-2013 09:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This was my intake.I bought it "almost" done.Whoever started it did not have a timing cover on the engine when they did it and the water donut did not come close to lining up.Nunzi got it about 98 percent correct and we finished it up when I got it back.You will notice the flanges are way thicker than factory.Im not sure if they had to be that thick because of how much flange of the Ford intake had to be cut off and left the center section too narrow to match up.I know I had stupid money in it and did not start from scratch as Mike is.Made great HP on my dyno mule engine when compared to others.FWIW,Tom

428RA4 03-23-2013 09:29 PM

Hey Tom -

Thanks for sharing.

Wow, those flanges are for the lack of a better term, King Kong size. It will be interesting how this build goes, but for sure, I hope to fend a more realistic flange thickness. It's interesting that on your intake you have the traditional water crossover where the thermostat housing sits on top. I know you recommended me going with a tri-power intake crossover that mounts from the front.

SupergasDil 03-23-2013 09:40 PM

That is a really nice vintage looking intake.

tom s 03-23-2013 10:15 PM

Because it was already on it although in the wrong place!When this was done I dont remember if the alu 66 tripower was even avil.Tom

428RA4 03-24-2013 01:46 AM

Tom -

Regardless if the crossover is in the wrong position or not, does it work in this configuration or were there clearance problems?

60man 03-24-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 428RA4 (Post 4884406)
Yep. Not only is the intake on backwards, so are the heads. Maybe the car will run faster in reverse...

Didn't know RAV heads had a Left & Right side..

The Boss 03-24-2013 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 60man (Post 4885879)

Coolant nipple out of the back of the passenger side head.

tom s 03-24-2013 09:36 AM

Dont know what your asking Mike?The advantage of a reg X over against the tripower type X over is the need to use a timing cover with the dimple.IF you actually want it to look like the factory you need the tripower type X over.Tom

428RA4 03-24-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 60man (Post 4885879)

Well, both of us know there is no difference, but I put a heater hose bib on one head. It has been corrected on the jig. I still have to send the water crossover, intake gaskets, timing chain cover, and water neck out along with a few other nick knacks like bolts.

I also just got word that one on the two sets of carbs I'm doing just got finished and have to bone up on those.

428RA4 03-24-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom s (Post 4885958)
Dont know what your asking Mike?The advantage of a reg X over against the tripower type X over is the need to use a timing cover with the dimple.IF you actually want it to look like the factory you need the tripower type X over.Tom

Sorry if I was not clear Tom.

Did the intake work well or was there clearance problems using the crossover that you used for your V dual intake?

I do plan on cutting up a 66 aluminum tri-power crossover as you have recommended. I'm just wondering about your experiences with your build.

thanks