PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac Business Entities Exchange (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=469)
-   -   USA Racing - Houston, Texas. (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=488251)

TxFormula455 08-13-2006 09:30 AM

USA Racing - Houston, Texas.

Took my 455 to these guys to have it rebuilt back in January. They did an awesome job, and didn't have to give up my first born to cover the cost. Bruce knew his stuff as I asked him a alot of questions that were pontiac specific ( ie: rear main seals, hidden oil plug, etc.. ) and he answered them all like he'd actually been building pontiacs for the 30 years he claimed. Everything done was documented on the ticket, and I got all the old parts back. He asked for the cam, and I've NEVER had a cam spin so freely in its bores after he was finished with it. I dropped the engine off saying that I wasn't in a hurry for it, but it was done in about two weeks anyhow.

I highly reccomend these guys to anyone in the Greater Houston area.

TxFormula455

DEESNUTS 08-13-2006 11:54 PM

good to know to know you were happy with them.
care to share a phone number and address/general area of town?

TxFormula455 08-14-2006 03:25 AM

Yeah, I guess contact information would come in handy...

USA Racing Engines Inc
7562 Dillon St
Houston, TX
Phone: (713) 645-4000

Their shop is over by Hobby airport, off of Telephone Road.

Ask for Bruce.

TxF

shaggy69gradprix 08-15-2006 08:21 PM

thats great!

heard of them didnt know they were still around? that sounds great because ive delt with different shops in the houston area and had them tell me they know how to build a pontiac and they pressed my pistons upside down :doh:

Skip Fix 08-17-2006 03:20 PM

I think they used to do John Clegg's<from VictoriaTX, Super Stock Pontiac motors.

Wick 08-17-2006 05:10 PM

Shaggy, was it HP Racing off of 2920? LOL

USA built a BBC for a friend several years ago and he was more than happy. Never had any Pontiac work done there but that's good info.

Larry Navarro 08-17-2006 05:55 PM

Owen's racing engines in Pearland is another "Pontiac approved" engine builder. Talk to Graham. He knows Pontiacs.

Spoke one time with Allen Temple(superstock pontiac racer)from Woodville Texas, he recommended Tommy Costales from Houston Engine and Balancing.

Barney Moravits , T&P Engine service in San Antonio. Well known in the Pontiac racing community.

Ramedjr 12-19-2006 05:59 PM

They are excellent as far as machine work and balancing of the rotating unit I used them back in the 80's and never had any trouble with the engine. They do good work and are very resonable and fast.

JDHolmes 12-19-2006 07:52 PM

Great to know...I've got one Pontiac and two Buick 455's to have rebuilt.

Called a couple of places and got sticker shock immediately. (just so you don't think I'm cheap as the reason for sticker shock, I'm paying $2500+ for a 53 straight 8 rebuild right now...well, I am CHEAP, just not on my cars :) )

Larry Navarro 12-19-2006 08:45 PM

I think the "sticker shock" is a hint from the engine shop...."oh, you got a pontiac".

Steve C. 12-24-2006 01:19 PM

FWIW, years ago the dyno facilities at USA Racing used to be a bit generious with the numbers. Don't know about it today.

And another FWIW, word on the street is that Barney Moravits shop isn't what they used to be. Chances are unless "conected" you will not have his personal involvement. Within the last few years some have complained about the work coming from the shop. But then that can be said about other shops as well.