PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Street (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   '62 Grand Prix horns (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865560)

Bigfoot1965 03-27-2023 07:17 PM

'62 Grand Prix horns

Hi all,
I'm rewiring my 1962 Grand Prix and have created a small problem for myself. I need help reconnecting the horns. The primary horn has a green wire that connects to the relay, and a black ground wire. The secondary horn has only one connection. Does it connect to the same green wire? There's no provision for it on the green wire to the primary. A good description and a pic would sure help. I have the shop manual, and a blown up copy of the electrical system, but it hasn't help answer the question.

Thanks!

johnta1 03-27-2023 08:07 PM

No.
Black wire to horn and other horn.
(I don't see a green wire in diagram?)

Brown should go from horn switch (on steering wheel?) to the relay.
Black from relay to 1st horn and to 2nd horn.
Big power wire (red? could be green possibly? shows a yellow there also) from battery to power side of relay.

:)

Bill Hanlon 03-27-2023 10:34 PM

Sounds to me like the "primary" horn depends on one of the terminals for a ground while the "secondary" just depends on the frame of that horn being attached to a good ground.

I've never heard of the horns referred to as "primary" or "secondary". One is usually a high tone while the other is a low tone. Together they sound like a typical 60s GM horn.

Follow both wires on the "primary" horn and you will probably find that one goes to ground nearby. If so, the "secondary" horn's one wire should be connected to the other (non-ground) wire on the "primary" horn. Just for giggles, disconnect the ground wire on the "primary" horn and see if it still works. If it does, the ground wire is kind of a "belt and suspenders" arrangement to guarantee the "primary" horn has a good ground.

Bill Hanlon 03-27-2023 10:40 PM

By the way, the 1962 Catalina wiring diagram on John's web site does not show horns with two terminals. Both horns are grounded by the horn's frame. My guess is that the "primary" horn has been replaced at least once since 1962.

Diagram here http://www.wallaceracing.com/MWire5765-335.jpg

Bigfoot1965 03-28-2023 10:52 AM

More horn info/pic

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnta1 (Post 6417081)
No.
Black wire to horn and other horn.
(I don't see a green wire in diagram?)

Brown should go from horn switch (on steering wheel?) to the relay.
Black from relay to 1st horn and to 2nd horn.
Big power wire (red? could be green possibly? shows a yellow there also) from battery to power side of relay.

:)

Thanks, John. Here's a pic of the horn in question. And the green wire from the fuse block to the relay is correct for the kit I'm using. I forgot to mention I'm using an American Autowire kit that I bought for my '65 GTO and hadn't used.
Back to the horn....you can see a male connector on the green wire and the black wire has an eyelet that was connected to ground. Not sure where this horn came from before installation to the GP. Tried to research a number on the horn, but Delco Remy's parts look up doesn't even list Pontiac as an option.
I think I'll just order a new horn and eliminate this one.
Thanks again.

Bigfoot1965 03-28-2023 11:06 AM

Hi Bill,
You are correct about low note/high note, but I didn't have a catalog or manual in front of me when I posted and I was just trying to distinguish between the two. The diagrams also show horns on the left and right side, and both of mine are attached to the inner fender well, under where the battery would normally be. The fella that restored the car moved it to the trunk.

Goatracer1 03-28-2023 01:43 PM

Your 2 wire horn is definitely not an original horn. Probably a universal replacement.