PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Street (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Post up the dyno hours for your engines (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=860614)

Tom Vaught 08-07-2022 09:56 AM

Post up the dyno hours for your engines

Simple process:

1) Type of engine: 4 cyl, 6 cyl, 8 cyl, 10 cyl, 12 cyl.

2) Time on the dyno, Break-in time vs Dyno Pulls vs Dyno "run time" on the dyno.

3) Location of the dyno: city/state

4) Horsepower and torque achieved.

5) Type of testing: Max HP/Torque, Carburetor/EFI calibration, Rear Wheel HP
testing, Durability Testing.

6) Time YOU have spent on the dyno observing the testing

Easy, only 6 questions.

Tom V.

Scott Roberts 08-07-2022 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Vaught (Post 6362446)
Simple process:

1) Type of engine: 4 cyl, 6 cyl, 8 cyl, 10 cyl, 12 cyl.

2) Time on the dyno, Break-in time vs Dyno Pulls vs Dyno "run time" on the dyno.

3) Location of the dyno: city/state

4) Horsepower and torque achieved.

5) Type of testing: Max HP/Torque, Carburetor/EFI calibration, Rear Wheel HP
testing, Durability Testing.

6) Time YOU have spent on the dyno observing the testing

Easy, only 6 questions.

Tom V.

Is this so u can brag you have hundreds of hours on a Ford dyno as a Technician at no cost to you?

25stevem 08-07-2022 10:24 AM

So Tom are you looking to demean those of us who don’t have as many hours in as you do so you can get up even higher on your personal pedestal Mr Engineer?

chuckies76ta 08-07-2022 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 25stevem (Post 6362455)
So Tom are you looking to demean those of us who don’t have as many hours in as you do so you can get up even higher on your personal pedestal Mr Engineer?

Ouch..:o

Scott Roberts 08-07-2022 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 25stevem (Post 6362455)

That's exactly what he is doing...

Stan Weiss 08-07-2022 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckies76ta (Post 6362457)
Ouch..:o

Yes it will not take long for the moderator to either clean out those useless posts or just lock this thread.

Stan

Tom Vaught 08-07-2022 12:02 PM

Never was a Technician, Scott. Hired as an Emissions Engineer from the first day I reported to work at Ford Research & Engineering Complex. 40 years later I worked in 5 different Ford organizations.

As far, as an Engineer with dyno experience, yes, that is true. Sound like some ENVY being posted along with my interest in other Pontiac guys having dyno experience.

Chris Piper and Bob Armstrong (two Pontiac racers) have far more experience with Engine Building and Dyno Testing.

Again, I never was a Technician at Ford.

And again, if you guys know so much about dyno testing, post it up.

Question #1, were the dynos you had tests run on Superflow dynos??

Tom V.

ps I posted a valid question, then the hate posts showed up. How can you lock a valid question?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YCPiDFo0hQ

Stan Weiss 08-07-2022 12:27 PM

Tom,
One of the problems with a dyno is looking at the output of one dyno to another. If we look at a Super Flow, Land and Sea or Stuska and have the same engine under the same conditions run on each. It is possible they may show the same uncorrected torque and HP. It is for sure they will not show the same corrected torque and HP. Each has their own software logic applied to the measured (uncorrected numbers). Almost everyone wants to look at corrected numbers. So from my standpoint if you dyno an engine when you go back and dyno it again use the same type if not the very same dyno.

Stan

61-63 08-07-2022 12:50 PM

Personally I would like to see the questions changed slightly and limit the answers to Pontiac engines only and add the engine cubic inches, compression ratio, cam specs, and # and type of carbs including calibration. But no one would answer probably.

Tom Vaught 08-07-2022 12:51 PM

Very valid point, to find a dyno you can trust, (repeatable), and stay with that dyno location and hopefully the same dyno operators.

Since it is a Pontiac vehicle website have no issues with that. But if you have a dyno that tests 5 Pontiac owners engines in their lifetime,
you have 5 pieces of data on the testing. If you have a dyno that tests basically everything, Westech Performance Group - "THE Dyno Center" https://westechperformance.com Then you have vast amounts of dyno experience and how to run the testing properly.

Tom V.

Tom Vaught 08-07-2022 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stan Weiss (Post 6362486)
So from my standpoint if you dyno an engine when you go back and dyno it again use the same type if not the very same dyno. Stan

Agree.

Tom V.