PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   70-73 Firebird & TA TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   New Trunk Weatherstrip Install (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=871821)

Transamric 02-07-2024 04:16 AM

New Trunk Weatherstrip Install

But before I install the new, I have to safely remove the old W/S. The paint is nice so can't use any chemicals too strong. Any recommendations as to what methodology has worked well for you guys?

grd777 02-07-2024 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Transamric (Post 6483799)
But before I install the new, I have to safely remove the old W/S. The paint is nice so can't use any chemicals too strong. Any recommendations as to what methodology has worked well for you guys?

Try Goo off

Norwood 02-07-2024 08:24 AM

Use a heat gun from the underside

78w72 02-07-2024 10:20 AM

3M makes a product specifically for this, doesnt harm paint & will soften up the old glue so you can wipe it off with a rag or usually a little more effort with a old toothbrush or nylon brush. Should be able to just pull off the old W/S or try heat from underside but be careful, too much heat will damage the paint.

I have some of the 3M left and can get the part# if needed.

hiyabradHO 02-07-2024 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 78w72 (Post 6483840)
3M makes a product specifically for this, doesnt harm paint & will soften up the old glue so you can wipe it off with a rag or usually a little more effort with a old toothbrush or nylon brush. Should be able to just pull off the old W/S or try heat from underside but be careful, too much heat will damage the paint.

I have some of the 3M left and can get the part# if needed.

Would love to get the part number. Thanks.

Formulabruce 02-08-2024 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Transamric (Post 6483799)

Please , please, Verify the Shape ( cross section) is the exact same, and same size. There are a ton of not so good repops, including late 80's GM stuff.

Red80TA 02-08-2024 06:30 AM

And make sure it installs the correct way, don't trust what just came out as being correct.

78w72 02-08-2024 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiyabradHO (Post 6484057)
Would love to get the part number. Thanks.

The can I have is 3m general purpose adhesive cleaner #08987. That # might be older, the current stuff I see online is part# 08984, probably have it in smaller cans at local auto stores or auto paint suppliers.

Follow instructions on the can & it works great & should not damage the paint, Ive used it on numerous trunk weatherstrips as well as T top channels.

sixty8ragtop 02-08-2024 03:27 PM

Wondering what the factory spec was for the location of the trunk weatherstrip seam (where the ends meet)? My seam is located at a 2 o’clock position, which so far has avoided moisture accumulation at the typical 6 o’clock location. Anyone have a picture of an original seal installation for reference?

Transamric 02-08-2024 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formulabruce (Post 6484110)
Please , please, Verify the Shape ( cross section) is the exact same, and same size. There are a ton of not so good repops, including late 80's GM stuff.

I'm finding that out. I currently have 3 potential replacements; 2 different brand repros and 1 NOS I bought either in the late '80's or early '90's, GM #9825829 (box dated 1982?). The only one I can tell for sure is a latex covered one is the GM item. But it's considerably larger in every dimension.
I was able to cut some clean cross sections from my old molding and only the Ames FK201C matches pretty closely, but is a simple extrusion, not coated and noticeably less soft.
Any more ideas on finding a more accurate product?

78w72 02-08-2024 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixty8ragtop (Post 6484230)
Wondering what the factory spec was for the location of the trunk weatherstrip seam (where the ends meet)? My seam is located at a 2 o’clock position, which so far has avoided moisture accumulation at the typical 6 o’clock location. Anyone have a picture of an original seal installation for reference?

For 2nd gen firebirds I recall reading the seam was a couple inches to the left or right of the trunk latch. thats where I put it on a few cars with no leaks.

If not doing a NOS type resto, Ive had very good results with the Metro brand trunk seal, door seals too, looks & fits nice & has held up for almost 15 years & counting.

Transamric 02-08-2024 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixty8ragtop (Post 6484230)
Wondering what the factory spec was for the location of the trunk weatherstrip seam (where the ends meet)? My seam is located at a 2 o’clock position, which so far has avoided moisture. Anyone have a picture of an original seal installation for reference?

My experience is primary with 'F' and 'A' bodies, so may be different for your app. However in every case the end seams have been near the 6 o'clock position. And by 'near' I mean usually a bit to the left of center.

sixty8ragtop 02-08-2024 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 78w72 (Post 6484235)
For 2nd gen firebirds I recall reading the seam was a couple inches to the left or right of the trunk latch. thats where I put it on a few cars with no leaks.

If not doing a NOS type resto, Ive had very good results with the Metro brand trunk seal, door seals too, looks & fits nice & has held up for almost 15 years & counting.

It appears that my 2 o’clock seam location may be a bit high. I have noticed that most replacement trunk seal seams are located at the 6 o’clock position. I have seen some very nice rides with a few inch offset in either direction from 6 o’clock. I have the flexibility to move or replace my trunk seal at any time, as I did not glue it in place during my last restoration. I have not experienced any water leaks so far, so my only concern is shrinkage over time. I am not the least bit concerned with any points judging repercussions..

Red80TA 02-08-2024 09:01 PM

As mentioned, original join location was just offset to side of latch.

unruhjonny 02-09-2024 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Transamric (Post 6484233)
I'm finding that out. I currently have 3 potential replacements; 2 different brand repros and 1 NOS I bought either in the late '80's or early '90's, GM #9825829 (box dated 1982?). The only one I can tell for sure is a latex covered one is the GM item. But it's considerably larger in every dimension.
I was able to cut some clean cross sections from my old molding and only the Ames FK201C matches pretty closely, but is a simple extrusion, not coated and noticeably less soft.
Any more ideas on finding a more accurate product?

I am subscribing to this thread from this post...

Rachelsdad 02-09-2024 08:08 PM

In terms of removal, it's been a decade - or almost four - since I did mine on my '63, but I used 900 PreKleano (RM wax & grease remover). Over the years, I found that it worked better than Ditzler's or DuPont's stuff. It didn't melt what was left of the original weatherstrip, didn't hurt the paint (okay, I had to re-wax, but hey...), and did a nice job of releasing the adhesive. ISTR that I used a plastic filler spreader to work the thing loose.

The other advantage to this method is that assuming you have no paint work to do in or around the groove, you should end up with a surface which is well prepped for new adhesive. Mine has held for 38 years so far.

Oh, and I'd have to look, but I think I laid the seam at about an inch off 6 o'clock.

GL HTH

Formulabruce 02-09-2024 09:40 PM

>>>> VIDEO BELOW <<<>>>Ames stopped selling the "skinned" with latex many years ago due to their being fragile.
One day a friend, who has a couple Formulas, and I took at look at cross sections and installs ( dry)
between us we had 4 seals to try.. one was late 80's generic .
The ONLY seal we found that has the correct profile, and is SAME dimensions , is the one sold by 1 a auto.
This video shows the part number AND he installs it in his own Pontiac.
This seal passed the dollar bill test, and doesn't make the trunk too tight to shut easily.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikBDF4xRdw8

Transamric 02-09-2024 11:44 PM

Then I could always splurge on this one!! No doubt it's correct.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/176220573076

Tellyshavilli 02-10-2024 10:22 PM

Hey rick, I have some NOS if you’re looking for that

Transamric 02-12-2024 04:32 PM

PM sent. Tell me more.