PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Body Shop TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   What is the no holds barred best body filler? (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851447)

dataway 06-26-2021 03:40 AM

What is the no holds barred best body filler?

Not including lead of course.

Evercoat?
Bondo (3M)

Etc.

Price is not really a factor, I'll probably only need a quart for the whole car... I hope.

dhutton 06-26-2021 08:26 AM

Evercoat Rage Ultra sands great imho.

Don

mrennie 06-26-2021 08:38 AM

I researched this extensively before I started my bodywork, and there were so many opinions it was hard to develop a clear answer before choosing one.

I used Rage Gold for most of my car, it was the first "premium" filler I had ever tried compared to the cheap crap I used on previous projects, and it was definitely easier to sand so I liked it.

I have since tried 3M Platinum (not Platinum Plus), and it was noticeably easier to sand, less pinholes, and between the two I would use it again as my first choice.

I realize there are many options for premium filler and many I have not tried, so others with more experience will have better insight.

One thing to be aware of is that many of the higher end fillers are only available in gallon cans...not sure why, but sucks for us hobbiests as I would have bought quarts of several kinds to see what was best.

400 4spd. 06-26-2021 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrennie (Post 6260152)
I researched this extensively before I started my bodywork, and there were so many opinions it was hard to develop a clear answer before choosing one.

I used Rage Gold for most of my car, it was the first "premium" filler I had ever tried compared to the cheap crap I used on previous projects, and it was definitely easier to sand so I liked it.

I have since tried 3M Platinum (not Platinum Plus), and it was noticeably easier to sand, less pinholes, and between the two I would use it again as my first choice.

I realize there are many options for premium filler and many I have not tried, so others with more experience will have better insight.

One thing to be aware of is that many of the higher end fillers are only available in gallon cans...not sure why, but sucks for us hobbiests as I would have bought quarts of several kinds to see what was best.

We use 3M Platinum, have been for years. I don't care for the Platinum Plus either. I switched from Rage because it would "chunk up" before the gallon was used up. Whatever you use, keep it sealed when not being used.

72projectbird 06-26-2021 02:50 PM

I've always used Rage Gold, and have had great results. Its easy to work with and sands easy.

dataway 06-26-2021 05:01 PM

Excellent, thank you for the recommendations.

Gallon is fine, I use it for various other things around the compound, great as a wood filler, sheet rock repair etc.

Formulabruce 06-26-2021 06:51 PM

I now use a German made "cream" that is ultra light and sands like the Platinum. It comes in an accordion squeeze bottle.
This is as close to sprayable as you can get. Ill get the name soon for ya.

nytrainer 06-26-2021 08:33 PM

I use Rage but not really tied to one brand. What I do always have on hand is Evercoat Plastik Honey which I can add to filler when I’m skim coating a large panel or when the gallon of filler gets a little thick.

grandam1979 06-26-2021 09:03 PM

I have always used duraglass as base coat of filler hard to sand but worth it.

MUSLCAH 06-26-2021 11:39 PM

Snowball….and Nitro Stan…..Iam old school………

MUSLCAH 06-26-2021 11:48 PM

I don’t like to give out my secrets…it just keeps me a step ahead of the competition….you know,like a good meatball recipe !

einstein 06-27-2021 12:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MUSLCAH (Post 6260339)
Snowball….and Nitro Stan…..Iam old school………

No idea what snowball is, but in 1970 Dad used Nitro-Stan on a '29 A Roadster. One trick was thinning it and putting it in the spray gun to create a high-build leveler over his lead work.

Formulabruce 06-27-2021 09:25 AM

I still have some Nitro-Stan.. Nitro Cellulose wrinkle maker.
I doubt there is much that can shrivel up like this stuff. Its not for anything except scratches on old lacquer. This is one reason why I like "improvement!

MUSLCAH 06-27-2021 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by einstein (Post 6260344)
No idea what snowball is, but in 1970 Dad used Nitro-Stan on a '29 A Roadster. One trick was thinning it and putting it in the spray gun to create a high-build leveler over his lead work.

AKA….”Red Lead “

jww 06-27-2021 12:58 PM

I like 3M Platinum in gallon can. Goes on smooth, sands easily, some pinholes but I think all fillers will do that at times. Be aware, just cause it comes in a gallon can doesn’t mean u get a full gallon. More like 80% of a gallon. Don’t know why 3M does that??
I guess it like potato chip bags get smaller and smaller but price remains the same! and ice cream too.
Have a good Sunday all

Rob in NH 06-27-2021 02:22 PM

Use Fusion by US Chemical. Sands very easy , no pinholes and has additives to prevent rust.

MUSLCAH 06-27-2021 06:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Don’t say I Nevah gave you anything. It’s sands like Sheetrock spackle…The first cut is done with 80 grit…..so don’t buy anymore 40 grit paper. You’ll thank me later. Iam sure Don hates it…..lol

n20ta2 06-27-2021 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MUSLCAH (Post 6260517)
Don’t say I Nevah gave you anything. It’s sands like Sheetrock spackle…The first cut is done with 80 grit…..so don’t buy anymore 40 grit paper. You’ll thank me later. Iam sure Don hates it…..lol

I use that when I can get it, it's great stuff.

dataway 06-28-2021 01:11 AM

Is the Evercoat "Edge" even made anymore? It's not listed on the Evercoat website, or is it just Evercoat "Premium" with the "Edge" added because that's the Evercoat trademark?

I bought a gallon of 3M Platinum to give that a try. Any modern filler is going to better that what I was used to 40 years ago, needed a cheese grater to sand it, always seemed a bit tacky or gummy unless it dried for days.

dhutton 06-28-2021 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MUSLCAH (Post 6260517)

Isn’t that just Rage Ultra with a different label for “professional” use? I’m pretty sure it is…. :D

I love that stuff…. :)

Don