PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   70-73 Firebird & TA TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   Ron Pratte collection-being sold (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754552)

70RAlll 05-30-2014 11:34 PM

Ron Pratte collection-being sold

Did you guys see where Ron Pratte is selling his entire car collection?? It was a Yahoo headline story earlier today,auction is something like Jan 2015 at BJ... I don't know if he was much into Pontiac's,but he was always one of the 2-3 guys who bid 60's-70's era muscle cars to the stratosphere.With a buyer like him exiting, what does that say for the prices?? Simple supply and demand.When a major portion of demand exits,regardless of limited supply, prices drop.. I bet that guy alone is responsible for at least 10%,maybe more of the $ volume of purchases of 6 figure + muscle cars over the past few years.. This will be interesting to see. I also saw a headline that Jay Leno is selling his collection?? can't find the Leno story again,just saw a headline.. but if that is also true, could really bode bad for values across the board..any thoughts??

bossbirdta 05-31-2014 07:59 AM

i wonder why. he probably has the best collection of all the Heavy Hitters....

The Boss 05-31-2014 08:11 AM

They get bored, why does anybody sell a car.

Like Wayne says - it's all about the chase!

FunctionalShaker 05-31-2014 06:30 PM

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2012/4/1...heikh-7708127/

This is what I found about Jay.

RAJ7395 05-31-2014 06:46 PM

Perhaps some new legislation requiring large taxation for the sale/transfer of collector vehicles is on the way?

70RAlll 05-31-2014 07:04 PM

If Jay Leno got >1 billion for 80 cars and 80 motorcycles,that is like an average of 6-7 million per car.. think I would have hit that bid as well. but sad to read so many cool American cars will end up going overseas.. yea.. foreign country's are thriving while the US is collapsing,foreigners have been buying our companies left and right,now they are buying our history.. :(

Jerry H. 05-31-2014 10:08 PM

In regards to Leno's collection, notice the date of that article; it was April 1. April Fools Day. And nothing else has been heard or said to confirm it? I would say it was a 'side ways' April Fools joke. A quick check of the Jay Leno Garage website shows no mention of a sale of any sorts.

No idea of why Ron Pratte may be selling at this point. The only winner I can see is Barrett-Jackson. Ron stands to lose a LOT of money on some of the high dollar stuff he bought. Are his cars going to have a reserve or not? If not he's definitely going to go in the hole big time. Maybe he just needs a big tax write off and wants to start over. It could depress the entire market if some of his more main stream cars, (high dollar cars to us) don't bring good money.

But it's guaranteed on some of the stuff he paid millions of dollars each for in the mid 2000's he's going to take a big hit.

Transamric 06-01-2014 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FunctionalShaker (Post 5207379)

Not only is the date of that article about Jay & his collection over two years old, there is a disclaimer at the bottom. It's a total fake-a-roo.

The Boss 06-01-2014 07:38 AM

From Fox

Quote:

Written by Barrett-Jackson

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz., May 29, 2014 — Barrett-Jackson, The World’s Greatest Collector Car Auctions™, is honored to be selected by world-class businessman and car collector Ron Pratte for the sale of his world-renowned collection at the Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale 2015 auction.

Ron Pratte, a businessman who demands perfection in everything he has a hand in, built the majority of his collection at Barrett-Jackson auctions. Pratte played an integral part in some of the most special moments on the auction block over the years.

This pristine collection includes Carroll Shelby’s personal vehicle – the only remaining 1966 Shelby Cobra Super Snake, that sold for a world record $5.5 million and a Pontiac Bonneville Special Concept Car, one of only two.

“This is arguably the most significant collection ever offered in Barrett-Jackson history,” said Craig Jackson, Chairman and CEO of Barrett-Jackson. “We are so privileged to be given this opportunity to showcase Ron Pratte’s unparalleled offering.”

The Ron Pratte Collection, featuring cars and over a thousand pieces of automobilia, will be on the docket at Barrett-Jackson’s 44th Annual Scottsdale Auction taking place January 10-18, 2015 with television coverage on Velocity and Discovery.

“This is going to create excitement beyond anything we’ve ever seen,” said Steve Davis, President of Barrett-Jackson. “We have huge expectations for this auction.”

More information is still to come about this historic offering.

Click HERE for more information about Barrett-Jackson.

FunctionalShaker 06-01-2014 11:12 AM

Thanks for the Jay Leno clarification, guys. I just saw it quick and posted it. Would hate to see him sell his stuff that way.

Did they say how many cars Ron has?