PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Street (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Cam change/ 10 year Milodon gear drive inspection (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853969)

Scott65 10-15-2021 03:40 PM

Cam change/ 10 year Milodon gear drive inspection

3 Attachment(s)
Occasionally, the Milodon single idler gear drive is discussed here. I'm doing a cam change and thought I'd share some pictures/impressions of how it's held up. I think I put it in service in 2009, but may have been '10. I'm getting older I don't remember exactly.... I don't put a lot of miles on my car generally. I'd guess maybe 5000 miles tops in that time. But it has been driven in all conditions, raced a few times. I'd guess the hardest conditions are idling when not a lot of oil is being slung around. It's done a LOT of idling, mostly during my sequential efi project what with having to manually tune idle fueling and iac operation. These gears look really good. Any imperfections in the pics are where the top layer of the coating has been lightly rubbed off. I was unsure what to expect, as this was my first one. But I followed the directions exactly and being an outside machinist I'm used to dealing with gears and backlash. I'd say use with confidence if it fits your application. Sorry for the sideways pics, it's just as infuriating for me...

steve25 10-15-2021 04:31 PM

Thanks for sharing!
It looks great in terms of ware and proves at least to me that if your willing to put up with some gear noise in a street motor that running a chain and gear set up is akin to when early railroads ran on wood rails!

Scott65 10-15-2021 05:16 PM

On the subject of noise, you'd never know it was there. It's NOT noisy like a dual idler. If I can remember, when I get it running, I'll record a video and link to it.

firechicken 10-15-2021 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott65 (Post 6287425)
On the subject of noise, you'd never know it was there. It's NOT noisy like a dual idler. If I can remember, when I get it running, I'll record a video and link to it.

Second that. I've had this gear drive in my engine since '08 and it is silent.
Have never looked at it since installed.

Jack Gifford 10-16-2021 12:22 AM

My M/T blown hemi has used that gear drive since day one, never a problem, often seeing 9,000 RPM.
After setting up the lash I dowel pinned the plate to the block, to ease teardown/reassembly.

Scott65 10-16-2021 12:38 AM

Yeah I was thinking about that. I may pin mine as well.

Mike Davis 10-19-2021 07:11 PM

I ran one of these for years. Never had a issue. Was very quiet and the timing was rock steady. Switched to a billet/gear chain set up and I am replacing them every couples years with the high spring pressures I run.
When I pull it back out, I will buy another Milodon.

Scott65 10-19-2021 07:53 PM

That was my reason for trying it. Got tired of chain stretch.

mrennie 10-19-2021 09:16 PM

Is that setup indexable to adjust cam timing?

Scott65 10-19-2021 09:23 PM

Yes. But only in certain increments. Uses a "vernier bolt pattern".

Jack Gifford 10-20-2021 12:30 AM

Those increments are as fine as you could need- a little over one degree at the cam, if I remember right(?).

Scott65 10-20-2021 12:33 AM

I believe the increments with the bolts are 2, 4, 6.5, 7.5, 10, and 12. Advance or retard.