PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Street (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Finishing some upgrades for my 80 TA (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861955)

PAUL K 10-02-2022 01:15 PM

Finishing some upgrades for my 80 TA

4 Attachment(s)
Been working on this during my spare time for a while. Kind of excited about some of the upgrades. The old combo ran 10.6 @ 127 weighing close to 3900 lbs. with driver and a full tank of fuel.

464 was replaced by a AP 496 pump gas short block.

318 87 cc E-heads were replaced with 330 cfm 87 cc.

Ported T2 was replaced with a more ported T2

175 HP integrated nitrous lines were replaced with a Big Shot NOS spray bar

Custom 3/8 in carb spacer was added to increase plenum volume and raise the hood scoop a bit.

Same carb but different boosters. Flows around 1000 cfm.

TSI tight ten inch converter was replaced with a tight ATI 8".

GM 3:42 10 bolt was replaced with Mosier 9" housing and axles with a 3.50 gear, Strange center section and Detroit locker.

Factory drive shaft with original style Lakewood u-joints replaced with Strange driveshaft and big u-joints.

Modified factory fuel tank (stock in appearance) used with two Holley blue pumps replaced with sumped fuel tank and Magnaflow fuel pump.

PAUL K 10-02-2022 01:21 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Now for the cool stuff!

Found a Hooker Show Bar from a local member here and he was nice enough to include free installation with the purchase price.

Had a factory 8k tach upgraded with modern electronics.

Came up with a sticker for my fake battery.

Gach 10-02-2022 01:48 PM

Quote:

175 HP integrated nitrous lines were replaced with a Big Shot NOS spray bar
Some nice up grades…sounds good Pual..Is that the nitrous set up you bought off me ? You ever run that Comp cam you bought off me.

Jay S 10-02-2022 01:56 PM

Looks AWESOME Paul. Your going to give those Texas tracks a proper introduction.

Gach 10-02-2022 02:13 PM

What mufflers you running ?

slowbird 10-02-2022 02:16 PM

:drive::pontiac:

PAUL K 10-02-2022 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gach (Post 6376693)
Some nice up grades…sounds good Pual..Is that the nitrous set up you bought off me ? You ever run that Comp cam you bought off me.

Thanks Gach, the cross plate nitrous system I purchased from you is still on the shelf. I have not been able to get the one inch plate to fit under my shaker hood (that's for my red 74). That cam ended up being used in a hi-port engine we built a while back. It worked out real nice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gach (Post 6376699)
What mufflers you running ?

They are Walker mufflers I believe they are called their "welded" series. They are a straight through design and pretty quiet.

Here's what they sound like with the old combo

https://youtu.be/PhDicneJIXs

Steve C. 10-02-2022 04:56 PM

ULTRA FLO WELDED
https://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/ult...elded-mufflers

Great muffler. I use the same one....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY76buhCPWg

Sounds like it will be a great combo Paul. See you at Ennis :)

72projectbird 10-02-2022 05:23 PM

That's a badass setup! I'm sure it'll fly

Love the show bar!

Gach 10-02-2022 05:24 PM

Gorgeous Firebird thanks and thank you Steve c Beautiful bird also.

Torquewar 10-03-2022 06:27 AM

Great ride . I really like the sleeper look with that car. You have certainly changed a ton in the car, excellent upgrades. I’m very eager for a report on how it works on the street and at the track .
I have a fake battery also contains my fuel pressure reg. Where did u get the tac upgraded?

scott70 10-03-2022 07:54 AM

Maybe a 9?

ta man 10-03-2022 12:17 PM

Also interested in the tach..my stock one doesn't cut it but I have a spare 8000 rpm tach.

Skip Fix 10-03-2022 01:14 PM

I had a guy that redid the tach in the 81 I got from nastyZ28.com forums. Also added the higher mph speedo I had picked up years ago and matched font on the face. Nice job

PAUL K 10-03-2022 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72projectbird (Post 6376741)
That's a badass setup! I'm sure it'll fly

Love the show bar!

Thanks... I was stoked when I found it. I initially picked it up for a friend's 70 Z/28. After I got it to the shop and started thinking about it .... I was fortunate enough to talk him out of it.

PAUL K 10-03-2022 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ta man (Post 6376905)
Also interested in the tach..my stock one doesn't cut it but I have a spare 8000 rpm tach.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torquewar (Post 6376841)
Great ride . I really like the sleeper look with that car. You have certainly changed a ton in the car, excellent upgrades. I’m very eager for a report on how it works on the street and at the track .
I have a fake battery also contains my fuel pressure reg. Where did u get the tac upgraded?

Thanks! The gentleman that designed and built the original hood tachs that the Parts Place sold before they sourced the job overseas, modernized the tachometer.... The folks who got one of his tachs recieved a great part.

PAUL K 10-03-2022 10:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by scott70 (Post 6376845)
Maybe a 9?

Hi Scott, the engine probably makes enough power to run nines, but I'm thinking I'll end up around 10.20. The car twists up pretty good leaving the line. I'll soften the launch to smooth things out. I also want to install bars from the firewall to the front of the subframe. I'm hoping that will help.

Dragncar 10-04-2022 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAUL K (Post 6377042)
Thanks! The gentleman that designed and built the original hood tachs that the Parts Place sold before they sourced the job overseas, modernized the tachometer.... The folks who got one of his tachs recieved a great part.

I have had one of those hood tachs sitting on a shelf for years.
Your engine sounds sweet. Have fun dialing in the new engine.
Looks like you have a LS killer.

77 TRASHCAN 10-05-2022 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAUL K (Post 6377043)
Hi Scott, the engine probably makes enough power to run nines, but I'm thinking I'll end up around 10.20. The car twists up pretty good leaving the line. I'll soften the launch to smooth things out. I also want to install bars from the firewall to the front of the subframe. I'm hoping that will help.

What all suspension mods???

Have you made any passes at the Motorplex yet?
I used to make the trek there at least once a year.
I don't have the desire to go to all the races I used to attend. The Pontiac Southern Nats, sometimes raced at the Motorplex. I wish those days would return!!

I like your thinking on holding e.t.'s to a desired time.
Tom and Sharon Wilhites Pontiacs both run 10's easily (the red 58 and white 59, I'm sure you know of tem). Tom's white 59 has a 540 with 2 of those large single throttle bodies on a tunnel ram, Sharon's is a 505, similar combo.
Tom likes the idea of being a little easy on his engines and chassis. It also saves a lot on safety equipment and extra mods if he ran quicker.

I like that blue color, what a sleeper!!!
Jeff

Region Warrior 10-05-2022 05:13 PM

Wow, nicely done!