PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   67-69 Firebird TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=432)
-   -   Forum Newb, Just Puchased a 68 400 Convertible (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=871603)

TheCeleryStalker 01-27-2024 01:07 PM

Forum Newb, Just Puchased a 68 400 Convertible

2 Attachment(s)
Hello! I am new to the forum having just purchased a 68 Firebird 400 convertible to play with. This is my first classic car in over 20 years and my first Pontiac. I was more of a Mopar guy.

I am looking for any information on the car that might be out there as this was obviously someone's project at one point. I purchased it from Hankster's in Daytona Beach. It's a non-numbers vehicle with a Ridetech suspension.

The Trans Am bits may or may not stay and it has a custom leather (red and white) interior that may return to stock or will at least be redone.

Any info appreciated!

johnta1 01-27-2024 02:28 PM

Welcome to PY!

That looks like a cool car. The fender 'vents' look something like what the Fitch bird had? (guy named Fitch built it)

The best thing if wanting to know how it originally came is by getting the PHS for it. (http://phs-online.com/)

There are many knowledgeable people on here.

:)

TheCeleryStalker 01-27-2024 02:31 PM

Thanks John, I was more looking for info on the build. Specifically what was done (or not done) to the drivetrain.

johnta1 01-27-2024 06:02 PM

You would need to tell us what the car has for drivetrain.

Not sure what you know of Pontiacs or drivetrain, but you could try this:

wallaceracing.com

Has pages on engines, heads, axles and more.

:)

keith k 01-27-2024 09:32 PM

John, I think he's actually looking to see if anyone recognizes the specific car (since it's somewhat unique), and may have information on who built it, etc. Sounds like the selling dealer didn't have much documentation on what was clearly a custom build.

I don't recall seeing it before...

kingbuzzo 01-27-2024 10:57 PM

Cool car...welcome

TheCeleryStalker 01-27-2024 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keith k (Post 6481407)
John, I think he's actually looking to see if anyone recognizes the specific car (since it's somewhat unique), and may have information on who built it, etc. Sounds like the selling dealer didn't have much documentation on what was clearly a custom build.

Yes that's correct. I will post pictures of the interior once it arrives as it has a full custom leather interior (that I dislike and my wife just adores). It also has a manual top with a glass rear window. It's a 400 4bbl with a 3 speed automatic. It has Vintage air installed. I will also post under hood pics. The dealer had no background on it, so I had it gone over by a competent mechanic to include compression testing, etc. It seems to be good to go.

This thing is so unique, that I thought maybe going on forums such as this may find me the previous owner. I believe the engine to be rebuilt recently judging by the state of the gaskets, etc. and I would like to now if it was a stock rebuild, etc. I am by no means an expert!

Unfortunately, the dealer took down the pics once they sold it and I didnt save them!

TheCeleryStalker 01-27-2024 11:39 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by keith k (Post 6481407)

Here are a few more pics. Someone spent some money on the suspension here, and the interior shows some uhhhm eclectic taste! Any information welcome!

TheCeleryStalker 01-27-2024 11:43 PM

4 Attachment(s)
A couple more underneath and the trim tag. This is not a numbers car.

Someone really loved this car at some point. It's gone to a good home, but I hope to find out more about it, if I can.

TheCeleryStalker 01-27-2024 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingbuzzo (Post 6481423)
Cool car...welcome

Thank You!

limejudge69 01-28-2024 10:21 AM

Welcome to PY, nice custom Bird.
The trim tag breaks down as: 1968 Firebird convert, Solar Red with black top, standard black bucket seats interior. I cant see other details on the tag due to paint overspray.

Gator67 01-28-2024 11:23 AM

Cool car. How does it handle and ride? First gen convertibles flex quite a bit so I've always wondered what would happen with an aftermarket suspension.

TheCeleryStalker 01-28-2024 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gator67 (Post 6481526)
Cool car. How does it handle and ride? First gen convertibles flex quite a bit so I've always wondered what would happen with an aftermarket suspension.

It seems to handle quite well and the ride is much better than I expected.

Interestingly, I also drove the SS Badged Camaro convertible that you see in the background of some of the photos. That car is a 350, which i assume to be lighter than the 400 in the Pontiac. It has a new stock suspension with the addition of some frame reinforcement. I couldn't detect any difference in things like cowl shake at 45 mph on regular public roads. I did notice that the Pontiac rides better and handles better. I am thinking of downsizing the rims to 17s at some point, which will allow me to continue to run modern rubber, but will net me more sidewall.

TheCeleryStalker 01-28-2024 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCeleryStalker (Post 6481549)
It seems to handle quite well and the ride is much better than I expected.

Interestingly, I also drove the SS Badged Camaro convertible that you see in the background of some of the photos. That car is a 350, which i assume to be lighter than the 400 in the Pontiac. It has a new stock suspension with the addition of some frame reinforcement. I couldn't detect any difference in things like cowl shake at 45 mph on regular public roads. I did notice that the Pontiac rides better and handles better. I am thinking of downsizing the rims to 17s at some point, which will allow me to continue to run modern rubber, but will net me more sidewall.

I should also mention that neither the Camaro nor the Firebird have their cocktail shakers intact.

TheCeleryStalker 01-30-2024 09:27 PM

The car was delivered today, and I found what I was looking for in the glove box LOL! The previous owner was in the Tampa / Clearwater area and was nice enough to leave the receipts for all the work done as well as a nice 1968 Pontiac sales catalog in the car. Good Times!

keith k 01-31-2024 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCeleryStalker (Post 6482300)
The car was delivered today, and I found what I was looking for in the glove box LOL! The previous owner was in the Tampa / Clearwater area and was nice enough to leave the receipts for all the work done as well as a nice 1968 Pontiac sales catalog in the car. Good Times!

Nice that you got the docs!

TheCeleryStalker 01-31-2024 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keith k (Post 6482547)
Nice that you got the docs!

Yea, I am pretty happy about it! The truck stopped unlocking today, so I am off to get some graphite tomorrow after work. So far, it's alittle cold blooded but runs out great once warmed up.