PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Street (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Is this evidence of a slipped balancer? (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=870185)

grivera 11-03-2023 12:58 AM

Is this evidence of a slipped balancer?

2 Attachment(s)
The rubber in this balancer has come out in one area- it was like this when I acquired the car. Is this indicative of a balancer that has slipped?

b-man 11-03-2023 01:07 AM

If it hasn’t slipped it’s going to soon.

Nice you caught it before it separated.

grivera 11-03-2023 01:08 AM

Thanks for the quick response!

steve25 11-03-2023 06:06 AM

If your not pressed for time then send it out to damper dudes andthey can rebuild it better then new.

Yes, good thing you found it before it went fully south and took your radiator with it and maybe the trans cooling lines also.

Kenth 11-03-2023 06:34 AM

I could be wrong but i think the crank pulley will catch the ring if it for some unknown reason would come loose from the hub and hit anything beyond the engine.

FWIW

steve25 11-03-2023 08:56 AM

Are the outer rings of the factory balancers iron or steel?

b-man 11-03-2023 11:50 AM

They’re all iron construction.

Toss that one in the recycling bin.

The last time I called someone about rebuilding a regular Pontiac balancer which happened to be one of the earlier style for a 421 the guy sold me a new one. Rebuild the rare unobtainable ones, buy new for the common ones.

Formulas 11-03-2023 12:03 PM

I would replace it, .... but with that said i bet it was like that from day one, ..... the inner and outer hub do not grow in place they are pressed onto each other with rubber in between pieces and that looks just like a section that got pushed out of place during assy because the ring is still where it should be longitudinally.

it has a seal saver on it also which means its done its job long enough already considering the price of a new one

grivera 11-03-2023 01:17 PM

Thanks all - I have an extra new one I bought from GM parts direct nearly 20 years ago

grandam1979 11-03-2023 05:17 PM

I would replace it also but looking at your picture it looks like it was painted already sticking out? I have 4-5 balancers here not one had the rubber installed perfect. Not one of them run perfectly true and I can’t remember the last I saw one that did. Let us know if your new one spins true I would be interested to know.

lust4speed 11-04-2023 02:42 AM

I can't be the only one around to come back into the pit area after running and shutting off the engine and hearing the outer ring continue to spin for a few seconds. Sort of a little alarm to let you know your racing is done for the day. Anyway, the pulleys do keep the ring from departing.

I did have an early 8-bolt balancer rip through the bolt holes and depart the engine compartment. It luckily went down and out and ended up in the sagebrush somewhere. There were no reports from the stands that it killed anyone so all was good on that day.

track73 11-04-2023 08:42 AM

I had a Chevy small 283 balamcer explode coming when off the corner.in a race. I didn't realize it at the time but I did see sparks from under the hood. I caught it the next wek when I tried to time the engine.