PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   THE LOBBY (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=467)
-   -   When is a band not the same band? (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=857890)

misterp266 04-08-2022 04:41 PM

When is a band not the same band?

1 Attachment(s)
I recently noticed that Canned Heat was playing at a venue near to me so I looked to see “who” was in the band. Well, the drummer is the only older member. He was not the original but he joined in 1967 so that’s cool.
If all the other members are relatively new, is it still Canned Heat or just a tribute band? There are many older bands doing the same thing.

Any thoughts?

DaleO 04-08-2022 04:53 PM

Lynyrd Skynyrd. I'm not even sure an original is left.

James Hettfield is the one constant for Metallica.

bird72 04-08-2022 05:18 PM

I give a slide / pass to two groups, because a large part of the creative core remains. But both are not the bands of legend before people died or left.

The Stones, ol Keith and Mick always were so much of what made them great back even with Brian, Bill, Charlie and almost original Mick.

The Who, Townshend and Daltrey get a pass also, such a core of the greatness. Never replace the thunder of Moonie. Or great bass of Entwhistle.

I do admit when they start looking like Joe Namath on those commercials, and you look away in fear when they do a jump..... it gets odd.....

lfdsteve 04-08-2022 07:56 PM

When Ace and Peter leave….

Formulabruce 04-08-2022 07:57 PM

Saw Toto, and Journey recently. Toto has always been slightly fluid with some members, but still have some originals, they kicked butt, bigtime ! Very tight, and very very good.
Journey, Arnel is awsome. The second keyboard player and drummer both sang songs too. Neil.. the guitar wizard he always has been was perfect.
We can't expect everything in the past to be exactly the same, but we can enjoy what we can... hold the line, Love isn't always on time!!

TCSGTO 04-08-2022 07:57 PM

I’d call it a tribute to Canned Heat. Alan Wilson and “Bear” Hite were the 2 most noticeable members and they’ve long since past. I know they have a right to make a living and as long as people are willing to pay to see the old act they should carry on but to me some things should just be left to history.

Jefferson Starship just came through my town recently and the only person in the band remotely associated with the original group is David Freiburg who played bass with them for a few years in the 70’s before he got fired by Grace Slick.

Starship was at best just a watered down Airplane anyway cashing in on the legacy so the “tribute” thing started a long time ago. Slick, Kanter, Casady, Kaukonen, Balin and Dryden were the Airplane. Casady and Kaukonen still tour as Hot Tuna playing their own music but still changing and improvising. They’re definitely the exception.

72projectbird 04-08-2022 07:59 PM

I love Alice in Chains, but as far as I'm concerned when Layne died, so did the band.

70gtojosh 04-08-2022 08:17 PM

Is the band the same band with different members? I think that depends on each individual bands situation. AC/DC pulled it off when Bon Scott died and they brought in Brain Johnson. Because it is Angus and Malcolm's band. Back in black cannot be denied as one of the great rock albums ever. A band like KISS upsets me because all the original members just cannot get along so they bring in two other guys and still call themselves KISS. I can't buy that one. To me Lynyrd Skynyrd died with Ronnie VanZant, love their music but its not the same. All of the best original line up bands' music is out there. We've all heard it and its great but i want more. I would like to challenge all these cover/ tribute bands to release new material.

bird72 04-08-2022 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCSGTO (Post 6333204)
Starship was at best just a watered down Airplane anyway cashing in on the legacy so the “tribute” thing started a long time ago. Slick, Kanter, Casady, Kaukonen, Balin and Dryden were the Airplane. Casady and Kaukonen still tour as Hot Tuna playing their own music but still changing and improvising. They’re definitely the exception.

Hot Tuna was my favorite of that mix of artists as a band. I love their first two albums. Jorma is one helluva finger picker. Cassidy is one of the best on bass.
I saw the Airplane right before the end of them, and Hot Tuna opened. They were the highlight of the night!

Half-Inch Stud 04-08-2022 08:37 PM

The New cars with Todd Rundgrenn is rather goood.
CCRevisited sounded great circa 2007
Wings sounded good with the ever changing lineup around the core 3: Linda, Denny, Paul.

mgarblik 04-08-2022 08:43 PM

My wife and I go to a fair number of rock, and country rock live shows each year. Not sure what the legal definition is for a band to use their name without "tribute" being inserted. It seems though from the many shows we go to that if just 1 original member or even one member who was with the band when the major hits were recorded is with the band, they still go by the band name. We go to enjoy the music and the results are all over the place. With the ages of the performers generally in their late 60's and older, some still sound really great and others probably should have stopped years earlier. I still have a good time, even if some are a little cringe worthy. A couple of standouts, Mark Lindsey of Paul Revere and the Raiders still sounds great, Mark Knofler, Alice Cooper, James Taylor, The Outlaws, Jimmy Buffet, Peter Noone, Brian Wilson, Heart, Charlie Daniels, all sounded great. Really looking forward to seeing the Zombies in about 2 months. Small Venue, about 300. 3 original members.

einstein 04-08-2022 09:34 PM

The band who seems to rise above all the turmoil and drama of personnel changes has moved to be my TOP favorite in recent years. That is the TOP - Tower of Power. Of the original members 3 are left, but they are the founder/leader Emilio Castillo and his "partner in crime" Stephen Kupka who blows that monster baritone sax, plus a most unique drummer in David Garibaldi. The singers (quite a varied string over the years) are considered an integral musical instrument, not so much a "leader" or "front man" like most other bands.

They toured through the south recently and I so wanted to take my wife to see them, but the Atlanta venue required vax cards, and I ended up with work and Dr visit schedule conflicts for the Orlando date near my birthday in mid-Feb. I hope we still get a chance to see them.

I saw them back in 1977 and 1983 at My Fathers Place on Long Island, then in the mid-90s in Winter Park FL at the long demolished Cheek to Cheek club. Both venues were incredibly intimate for the punch of a 10-piece band with such dominant horns.

At 50+ years together they are still doing new material.

HoovDaddy 04-09-2022 10:35 AM

I would rather remember the band as they were. One original member doesn't do it for me. After seeing a few, now everytime I hear the songs, I picture the fake band in my head. One old guy performing with a bunch of kids.

GTOnly70 04-09-2022 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaleO (Post 6333147)

Metallica is a TERRIBLE example for this thread. Hetfield and Ulrich have been with the band since inception ~1981). Kirk Hammett replaced Dave Mustaine in 1983.

The only position that has really changed is bass. And there have been only two long term members since Cliff Burton died in 1986.

67drake 04-09-2022 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70gtojosh (Post 6333210)
Is the band the same band with different members? I think that depends on each individual bands situation. AC/DC pulled it off when Bon Scott died and they brought in Brain Johnson. Because it is Angus and Malcolm's band. Back in black cannot be denied as one of the great rock albums ever. A band like KISS upsets me because all the original members just cannot get along so they bring in two other guys and still call themselves KISS. I can't buy that one. To me Lynyrd Skynyrd died with Ronnie VanZant, love their music but its not the same. All of the best original line up bands' music is out there. We've all heard it and its great but i want more. I would like to challenge all these cover/ tribute bands to release new material.

I’m one of the rare few who thinks that AC/DC died when Bon did. I never liked Brian Johnson, as he seemed to always sing like he was TRYING to sound like Bon. Bon just had that voice, Brian sounds like his nuts are in a vise.

Bermuda Blue 04-09-2022 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lfdsteve (Post 6333201)
When Ace and Peter leave….

...and someone else wears their makeup.

nas t eh 04-09-2022 01:31 PM

Roger Waters came a couple years ago and performed the “The Wall”.

It was spectacular,

misterp266 04-09-2022 01:32 PM

A unique vocalist is certainly hard to replace. When Sammy joined Van Halen it ruined the band in my opinion. Roth was an integral part of the sound.

There are many very talented cover or tribute bands out there. I’m OK with that because they don’t claim to be the original band. There is an amazing Thin Lizzy tribute band near me. No, they don’t have Phil Lynot or Gary Moore but they are very good. Plus I can see them up close for free.....

https://youtu.be/7ooN5bSVkOI
Much better in person.

hurryinhoosier62 04-09-2022 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaleO (Post 6333147)

Gary Rossington is the only original member of Skynyrd left, but it could be argued that Rickey Medlocke is an original member since he played with and wrote songs for the band in 1971 & 1972 before he left to found Blackfoot.

bird72 04-09-2022 02:21 PM

A tribute band just played here I read. I had to give them AAA+++ on name.
Meatwood Flac.