PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Street (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Rear Main Seal Tilt Test (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863251)

Tim Corcoran 12-05-2022 11:21 AM

Rear Main Seal Tilt Test

1 Attachment(s)
I have installed the BOP one piece rear main seal. I have 6 quarts of oil in the pan and am doing the tilt/leak test. It has set over night and dry as a bone. I am curious if I have the engine tilted enough take a look at the picture and let me know if you think this is tilted far enough for a good test. Thanks.

Verdoro 68 12-05-2022 01:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think that should do it. Here's how far I tipped mine back - and it leaked.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...1&d=1670260391

b-man 12-05-2022 01:22 PM

4 Attachment(s)
BOP one-piece seal.

After sitting overnight with 5 quarts in the pan no leaks.

The next day it was broken in on the run stand and it ran for a couple of hours leak-free.

Tim Corcoran 12-05-2022 02:20 PM

I had 6 quarts in the pan and let it sit overnight and not a single drop, it's bone dry up there. Let hope it stays that way after I get it in the car and I start driving it.

Verdoro 68 12-05-2022 02:27 PM

Mine was leaking with an hour or two so if you made it overnight, you're probably looking good.

Wade at BOP has mentioned that he doesn't think the tip test is reliable since some oil can get by the crank serrations. IMO the test seems to be a pretty good indicator of whether things will seal or not. I had the one and two piece leak on me with the tip test. The graphite seal is still dry after a few weeks.

dataway 12-05-2022 04:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's mine, left it there a couple of days, not a drop. BOP one piece.

I'd guess if the serrations are enough to let oil pass in the tilt test, they are probably large enough to trash the seal after running for a while.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...1&d=1670271937

400 4spd. 12-05-2022 05:01 PM

I inadvertently used the tilt test on a RAIV about 17 years ago. A friend had it built by a well known Va. builder (since retired), and he used the BOP one piece. It was hanging in the air between the fenders with the 4 speed attached, when a steady stream began to run off of the bell housing. Back on the stand! The builder drove down and replaced it again, and it leaked less! He blamed it on the serrations, so I guess that's a popular excuse.
About a year later we pulled it out and shipped it to the guys in Tenn. to be built again. Same crank and no leaks.

Tim Corcoran 12-05-2022 08:35 PM

The final test will be when I start driving the car fingers crossed. Thanks for all the responses.

TinInjun 12-05-2022 08:47 PM

Tilt test won’t tell if it will leak or not. After a day of tilt test, with no leaks, my one piece seal leaked like a sieve with the engine running. Wasn’t the seals fault, it was mine. Rushed the install trying to make a NMCA race two days later. Very important to follow BOP’s installation instructions to the letter.

Tom Vaught 12-05-2022 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 400 4spd. (Post 6391122)
I inadvertently used the tilt test on a RAIV about 17 years ago. A friend had it built by a well known Va. builder (since retired), and he used the BOP one piece. It was hanging in the air between the fenders with the 4 speed attached, when a steady stream began to run off of the bell housing. Back on the stand! The builder drove down and replaced it again, and it leaked less! He blamed it on the serrations, so I guess that's a popular excuse.
About a year later we pulled it out and shipped it to the guys in Tenn. to be built again. Same crank and no leaks.

Not aware that the 1 piece seal was around from BOP that long (17 years).

Tom V.

grivera 12-05-2022 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 400 4spd. (Post 6391122)

Are you saying the builder used the one-piece RMS 17 years ago? Did you mean the two-piece? The one-piece wasn’t available that long ago.

400 4spd. 12-05-2022 11:31 PM

Having been that long ago it very well could have been the one piece. The engine was strong with no issues, but leaking at the rear main, being why it was removed. Not my intention to cast doubts on the reliability on the one piece. The mention of serrations is what drew my attention. My apologies to Wade or anyone else taking offense.
I don’t remember what I ate for lunch that day either. I do remember Tom talking with the builder the following year at VMP though.

77 TRASHCAN 12-06-2022 12:13 AM

Yeahhh. CRS has been trying to get the best of me, here in last 3-4 years, I'm not giving in!!!

chuckies76ta 12-06-2022 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Corcoran (Post 6391163)
The final test will be when I start driving the car fingers crossed. Thanks for all the responses.

I'll just throw this out there. Another issue with rear main seals is blow-by. Seems to me when increasing H/P on these engines and higher rpm's tends to create more pressure in the crankcase. I've seem oil dipstick pushed out more than once. I guess making sure your PCV system is in good working order. Or running a vacuum pump in the case of higher H/P, Torque and RPM's. Just saying. I'm hoping it's all works out good for you also Tim.

Half-Inch Stud 12-06-2022 09:28 AM

FWIW my 1-piece rear seal leaked badly for a year but has stopped leaking the past few years. Dry back there. Wore-in? 103 cast crank.