PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Street (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Tool to elongate pushrod holes in heads? (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861574)

Bruce Meyer 09-16-2022 10:28 AM

Tool to elongate pushrod holes in heads?

I remember a while back someone was making a jig to elongate pushrod holes to clear 1.65 rockers. I thought it was Spotts Performance but their web site doesn't show any. I E-mailed them but they do not reply. Does anyone know of such a tool and where to get one?

PAUL K 09-16-2022 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Meyer (Post 6372772)
I remember a while back someone was making a jig to elongate pushrod holes to clear 1.65 rockers. I thought it was Spotts Performance but their web site doesn't show any. I E-mailed them but they do not reply. Does anyone know of such a tool and where to get one?

It was Spotts. As of late he has become diffucult to communicate with. We use a 3/8 ball shaped carbide burr.

Skip Fix 09-16-2022 11:53 AM

Like Paul said Paul Spotts had one. After thinking I had ground enough on one that after assmebly was tight in the middle I bought one. It takes a fair amount off all the way to the bottom of the hole! Using it and a mill would be the best . Using a hand drill it was a little hard to keep straight and not enlarge the guide.

Bruce Meyer 09-16-2022 12:08 PM

Thanks for the replies. Spotts E-mailed back. Said he was out of stock and will have some more some time this winter.

25stevem 09-16-2022 12:27 PM

If you can get your hands on a big enough drill to power a 1/2” bit then just simply drill out each hole and then use a carbide burr to taper out the rocker stud side of the hole down to a depth of 3/4”.
You will not have to take much off once each hole is opened up to 1/2” inch.

slowbird 09-16-2022 08:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Meyer (Post 6372772)

I have one, pm me if interested

Half-Inch Stud 09-17-2022 08:13 AM

I remember Paul saying he wanted to call it the "Spott-Eye" pushrod hole oval grinder for 1.65 rockers.

I complemented him that he has always been about proper fixturing, whereas i would just "get it done" by dinnertime.

blueghoast 01-24-2024 09:05 PM

So how does it bolt down and to what?

GT

ta man 01-24-2024 11:32 PM

Rat tail file works great to finish

Formulas 01-25-2024 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueghoast (Post 6480680)
So how does it bolt down and to what?

GT

Bolts down on rocker stud boss, instead of the stud

Holeshot71 01-25-2024 11:41 AM

The last couple of motors I put together, while mocking it up I used a straw slit along its length and put it around a push rod and used it as a feeler gauge to check for any tight spots. A sharpie line along the straw helps.