PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Boost (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=495)
-   -   Butler Procharger kits (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865883)

i82much 04-13-2023 12:51 PM

Butler Procharger kits

Has anyone used one of these?

https://butlerperformance.com/c-1459...rger-kits.html

Curious how the install went and any difficulties you may have run into. I am temporarily poor but still fun to think about :D

Tom Vaught 04-13-2023 07:00 PM

Butler has been working with superchargers since the Old John Welter days with Travis
Quillen doing much of the Bracket Design work and later with Mark at Luhn Performance doing additional designs.

They make good power and the designs are rock solid.

Always fun to dream.

Tom V.

grandam1979 04-13-2023 08:06 PM

My buddy has one from Luhm on a 4000 pound 64 gto 464 with non ported speedmasters streetcar he’s well into the 9’s he’s hoping for 9.3 or better this year he made a couple updates over winter.

i82much 04-14-2023 12:35 AM

yeah i have a mild n/a pump gas 505 now., 87 cc edelbrock round ports. i like thinking about different ways to take it. maybe could send the heads out to get the chambers enlarged and not mess with the short block.

i82much 04-14-2023 07:48 AM

Curious about cooling system issues. If I am just cruising at 2500 RPM and smacking it in the butt every now and again, do I need major cooling system upgrades?

In and of itself, the supercharger kit isn't too intimidating. It's the mods to the fuel system, carb, cooling system, etc. that start to make the project seem like overkill.

grandam1979 04-14-2023 05:15 PM

Just my 2¢ when my buddy went from a 541 na street engine to the 464 he didn’t change anything on the cooling system that I know of I will ask him to be sure.

i82much 04-14-2023 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandam1979 (Post 6420986)
Just my 2¢ when my buddy went from a 541 na street engine to the 464 he didn’t change anything on the cooling system that I know of I will ask him to be sure.

thank you!

BILL BOWMAN1 04-27-2023 12:38 PM

I am seriously looking into this. Latest goal is to drive to Cecil Co. 20 miles tops, make a 9 second pass and drive home.

i82much 05-13-2023 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL BOWMAN1 (Post 6424004)
I am seriously looking into this. Latest goal is to drive to Cecil Co. 20 miles tops, make a 9 second pass and drive home.

honestly the biggest drawback to me is i dont think you can run a choke with a blow through. i want an all-weather car for sure and not sure i could ever bring myself to go efi.

bad69bird 05-18-2023 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i82much (Post 6427298)
honestly the biggest drawback to me is i dont think you can run a choke with a blow through. i want an all-weather car for sure and not sure i could ever bring myself to go efi.

FWIW...A properly tuned blow-thru carb will be just fine. When I had my blow-thru deal, I raced in the early spring through the month of November. Never had a problem with cold start ups.

krisr 05-19-2023 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i82much (Post 6420882)
Curious about cooling system issues. If I am just cruising at 2500 RPM and smacking it in the butt every now and again, do I need major cooling system upgrades?

In and of itself, the supercharger kit isn't too intimidating. It's the mods to the fuel system, carb, cooling system, etc. that start to make the project seem like overkill.

After just having done a turbo conversion to my late model thing (Holden version of the Pontiac G8), if the supporting mods seem overwhelming I wouldn’t go down this path and just keep it naturally aspirated. Most of the work is the mods to keep it alive, not just adding the air pump, even in LS world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i82much 05-20-2023 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krisr (Post 6428460)
After just having done a turbo conversion to my late model thing (Holden version of the Pontiac G8), if the supporting mods seem overwhelming I wouldn’t go down this path and just keep it naturally aspirated. Most of the work is the mods to keep it alive, not just adding the air pump, even in LS world.

that's the thing ... i spent YEARS getting my car to the point where i can enjoy it ... now it runs great. Of course I have the urge to mess with it .... but do i wind up spending five years dorking around with the cooling and fuel systems before i can enjoy it again? or do i put some effort in one winter and get it done right the first time?

which one of you guys has a crystal ball???

Tom Vaught 05-22-2023 12:10 PM

Lot of different parts & fabrication to a turbo conversion that ACTUALLY works.
Once you get there the smile never goes away BUT not a simple bolt on deal,
krisr knows.

Tom V.

Charlie66 makes over 800 hp from a 206 cid (1/2 a Pontiac engine) at 40+ psi of boost.

He has years into the development of that set-up.

krisr 05-23-2023 01:42 AM

Butler Procharger kits

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Vaught (Post 6428918)
Once you get there the smile never goes away BUT not a simple bolt on deal,
krisr knows.

Every drive makes me smile and my 7 year old son loves it more than I do I reckon. He’s always on the edge of his seat when he hears the turbo whistle [emoji23]

Mammoth amount of work and I nearly walked away from it but glad I stuck it out. The car is so much better and more calmer. I totally get the turbo deal now.

i82much 05-26-2023 10:15 AM

assuming i decide i can live without a choke ... can i put an f1a on a pump gas 505 with a big pulley to keep boost down and just kind of start off really safe? that way i could get the installation nailed down with my current fuel and cooling systems and then upgrade those down the road as i get more aggressive with the boost.

Tom Vaught 05-26-2023 02:48 PM

WHAT PULLEY DO YOU HAVE ON THE SUPERCHARGER?

Not sure what diameter drive pulley (mounted on the crank damper) comes in a normal Procharger kit.

Tom V.

i82much 05-26-2023 03:01 PM

i dont have one, just trying to understand what my options are.

Lee 05-26-2023 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i82much (Post 6427298)

I have the FAST XFI Sportsman system on my car. They make a "blow through" version, with a 2-bar MAP sensor. My car is NA, but it has been rather easy to tune. With the FAST distributor, I have total control over the timing map as well.

i82much 05-27-2023 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee (Post 6429826)
I have the FAST XFI Sportsman system on my car. They make a "blow through" version, with a 2-bar MAP sensor. My car is NA, but it has been rather easy to tune. With the FAST distributor, I have total control over the timing map as well.

the super sniper 1250 looks fun. i guess i would prob want to get EFI working first before doing the procharger if went that route.

i already have a really nice carb though, BD-850 quick fuel. i guess i better just drive my car this summer and dork around in the winter, making changes now just means missing days when i could drive the car.

PontiacMatt72 10-24-2023 10:36 PM

Is it time?