PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Street (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Driveshaft problem?? (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863320)

Mook 12-08-2022 11:19 PM

Driveshaft problem??

3 Attachment(s)
PY Family……1969 GTO…. 468 with 200r4, driveshaft made by local shop. At first years ago I noticed a circle around the driveshaft, thought it was hitting the X-pipe, muffler shop said it was not. Now there are marks (circles) in at least 7 spots, each circling the shaft…….I don’t see any obvious spots on the undercarriage where it could be making contact… wth…… any ideas… ? I have add coil overs in recent years ….thx

dataway 12-09-2022 03:39 AM

Looks more like something got wrapped around the shaft ... if it was a Jeep I'd say you got some brush caught in there for a while. Not rubbing on the bottom of the tunnel?

25stevem 12-09-2022 07:24 AM

Something is rubbing on the shaft hard enough to make some deep grooves that can be seen!

It must be rubbing on something.

My best guess is that You may have bad motor mounts and or a transmission mount, and this is assuming you don't have bad U joints

Mook 12-13-2022 08:08 AM

Could/would the addition of coil-overs in the rear / lowering the stance effect the clearance between the tunnel and the drive-shaft? Especially during possible bottoming out conditions? Thx

johnta1 12-13-2022 08:15 AM

If you lowered the stance, that would put the shaft closer to the top of the tunnel?

Possibly on a bounce the shaft is rubbing the top of the tunnel?
Also do you still have the emergency brake cable that goes under the shaft?

When you put the coil-overs on, is the rear end off center now?

:confused:

Half-Inch Stud 12-13-2022 09:14 AM

My bet is the floorboards make contact. You'd hear that.

Mook 12-14-2022 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnta1 (Post 6392862)
If you lowered the stance, that would put the shaft closer to the top of the tunnel?

I'm starting to believe thats what happening........had the scratches in on one spot before the coilover addition.......

Mook 12-14-2022 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud (Post 6392870)
My bet is the floorboards make contact. You'd hear that.

The last time I bottomed out, I thought it was strange I didn't hear metal hitting the ground. But felt something......

Mook 12-14-2022 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnta1 (Post 6392862)

Will check the E-brake cables location today......